Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 01:25 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
My thoughts:

- I think firing Whisenhunt was a mistake. He is a good coach who made that team better than the sum of its parts. The GM and ownership bear the brunt of the blame.

- Turner was a justifiable firing. He's never been a very good head coach, though he is one of the better OC's in the game.

- I probably would have kept Gailey for another year on the stipulation that a competent and established DC be brought in to run that side of the equation. As a Broncos fan, I know first hand that you can't continually change schemes like that and expect results, no matter how good the offense is.

- I'm not surprised that the Bears fired Lovie Smith. At some point, you just have to recognize that you have a good but not great coach and as a franchise, be willing to take the chance to reach higher.

- Shurmer is more or less a victim of the front office changes in Cleveland and the new guys in charge wanting to bring in their own coach. I don't think he would have lasted much longer anyways, though.

- Reid's message got stale in Philly (as what happens to most long tenured coaches) and the organization will benefit from a reboot. I also think the Juan Castillo fiasco was ultimately his downfall. That said, he's a great coach who will probably find success somewhere else.

- Crennel probably should have got another shot, with Pioli getting shown the door instead. People forget he was turning around Cleveland before the wheels fell off in 2008, and Crennel was doing some good work with the Chiefs defense.
Good overall analysis. As far as Gailey getting dismissed, I'd have to disagree with your opinion. Yes, a competant DC was severely lacking this year, but the offense was lacking too. There was zero sense of urgency through most of the games and they could not get it done in clutch situations. Four of their losses were by less than a TD and at least two of those losses were sealed in the last 2 minutes of the game, either by defensive or offensive ineptitude. Fitz has too many limitations to be a franchise QB anyway. I'm not quite sure what they were thinking when they gave him that contract. In a sense, I believe Gailey was held back somewhat by the capabilities of his starting QB, but his inefficient use of CJ Spiller was a poor call.

I'm not saying that firing Gailey was a bad move, but I believe the issues go a lot further than just the HC. Nix needed to go as well, and they need to find a franchise QB to build around. I can't think of many names of HC's that could go into Buffalo and succeed with the pieces they have right now, other than possibly Cowher or Gruden, and neither of those two personalities would waste their effort to bite on that type of offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 01:30 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Schwartz deserves another year... But I'm still baffled that Jason Garrett is A) a head coach and B) has not been fired yet.... What has he done to justify his gig?? NOTHING... ZERO! As a Redskin fan, I love it, I hope Garrett is around for a long time and I hope Jerry Jones becomes the next headcoach of the Cowboys when he's done with Garrett. He could be the first owner/GM/President and headcoach! And THAT my friends would be AWESOME!!

I thought about it this morning and i think it's because he took over late in 2010 after Wade was fired. So he only has only been the coach for 2 full seasons and in both of those seasons the Cowboys were in position to make the playoffs in week 17. So he definitely earned himself another year to be the coach but I don't see how he is the coach next year if the Cowboys miss the playoffs for the 3rd season in a row.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:17 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
As a Vikings fan I was distraught the Bears fired Lovie...now they might actually get a good coach. I was hoping Lovie would stick around for another decade and continue leading them to 9-7 seasons.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:04 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times
Couple of quick thoughts...

That putrid Bears O-Line got Lovie fired...that line has been bad for years now, and after firing the GM, and Lovie getting rid of Martz last season, the line still sucked. I guess they figured Lovie had to go.

Wow...the Niners have already let Brandon Jacobs go? I questioned them signing him in the first place since they have a stable of backs and a more physical runner (Frank Gore) than Jacobs already. But to be released before the playoffs says a lot, like we dont need your malcontent azz around here!

Ownership wanted a change so Shamur was out in Cleveland, but I agree he should have got another year. But on a side note, did McCoy look horrible in practice or something? He never really got a shot at the job this season, did he?

Someone had to fall for that Jets fiasco, and their GM fit the bill...especially since he brought in Tebow.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:09 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Couple of quick thoughts...

That putrid Bears O-Line got Lovie fired...that line has been bad for years now, and after firing the GM, and Lovie getting rid of Martz last season, the line still sucked. I guess they figured Lovie had to go.

Wow...the Niners have already let Brandon Jacobs go? I questioned them signing him in the first place since they have a stable of backs and a more physical runner (Frank Gore) than Jacobs already. But to be released before the playoffs says a lot, like we dont need your malcontent azz around here!

Ownership wanted a change so Shamur was out in Cleveland, but I agree he should have got another year. But on a side note, did McCoy look horrible in practice or something? He never really got a shot at the job this season, did he?

Someone had to fall for that Jets fiasco, and their GM fit the bill...especially since he brought in Tebow.

That's what Jacobs get because he had no business leaving the giants in the first place. Not sure what team will be interested in picking him up now so his NFL career maybe over.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:21 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times
Again, I must agree.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Old 01-01-2013, 03:58 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Now all the rumors start, Andy Reid on the fast track to the Cardinals??? I'm still thinking other issues with the Bears and a new coach isn't going to create miracles.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:24 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Now all the rumors start, Andy Reid on the fast track to the Cardinals??? I'm still thinking other issues with the Bears and a new coach isn't going to create miracles.

Just saw on my local NBC station that there is a 95% chance Reid will be the next coach of the Cardinals.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:14 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Just saw on my local NBC station that there is a 95% chance Reid will be the next coach of the Cardinals.
What factors were included in the formula that said station found 95% to be a credible number.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:17 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
What factors were included in the formula that said station found 95% to be a credible number.

I have other sources since then

ESPN NFL Sources: Cards target Andy Reid

NFL | Reports: Cardinals close to hiring Andy Reid - Rotoworld.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football