Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 12:06 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,941 times

Advertisements

Anytime the Patriots lay the smackdown by putting 60+ points on the board. Just so nauseating for me to observe, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Dubious Bronco game going on right now......
While I agree that game sucked, I have to say the live ranting is not a good look for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 07:52 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Anytime the Patriots lay the smackdown by putting 60+ points on the board. Just so nauseating for me to observe, lol.

While I agree that game sucked, I have to say the live ranting is not a good look for you.
Well let's revisit that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Dubious Bronco game going on right now.

Denver Broncos' Prevent Offense is going on today.
What a pathetic game. Sure, Broncos defense plays good, but can the offense do nothing all season long?

Blame Peyton Manning, blame the O-line... for being inexperienced? No. Blame Rich Kubiac for not putting an acceptable offense out there.

Cleveland should and probably will win this game.

But what a pathetic game it's been.

Oh looky here. Denver defense to the rescue once again.

Edit: DEMARYIUS THOMAS IS WORTHLESS!

PEYTON MANNING IS WORTHLESS!

SACK! DENVER DEFENSE, STOP BAILING THE OFFENSE OUT.

Lay down Denver. Just take the loss.

AND THE CLEVELAND COACH ICED THE KICKER! REALLY?

Why would you extend this turd? Yuck. Puke. Gak.
Oh yeah. The Cleveland game.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:22 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
I keep going back to this nondescript game in 1977 between the Giants and the Buccaneers, here is the boxscore:

New York Giants at Tampa Bay Buccaneers - November 13th, 1977 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

The Giants won, 10-0. This was the Buccaneers second season. The Giants were god awful this year, and I have no idea how they mustered 5 wins. The Buccaneers had not yet won an NFL game, but they came close in this game. They had a touchdown called back on a holding penalty, and they broke a kick off and a punt return inside the Giants 20. However, they turned the ball over 5 times, and Giants nearly matched them, turning it over 3 times. The two teams had 14 penalties. The only reason the Giants scored a TD was because the Bucs punted, the long snapper snapped it over the punter's head, resulting in the Giants recovering on the 1 yard line. It took the Giants 5 plays, with a penalty called against the Bucs, for the Giants to score a TD. The Bucs had the ball inside Giants territory at least a half a dozen times, and couldn't score a point.

If you research the Giants QB play during this period, 1977 and 1978, you will see some of the worst boxscores for QBs ever recorded. Most of the time, even in defeat, it was rare for a Giants QB to have over 15 attempts or over 150 yards passing in a game.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:45 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,733 times
The 2003 Super Bowl, when the Raiders choked. *cue Charlie Brown AAAAAAAAAUGH*

Old 09-12-2021, 12:25 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Being a Jets fan since they were the NY Titans it's hard to say, there's far too many to choose from.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:44 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Being a Jets fan since they were the NY Titans it's hard to say, there's far too many to choose from.

Thanks for updating the thread Burdell!

December 5, 1971--Bears at Broncos---Broncos won 6-3--nasty weather conditions coming in that evening. Both clubs were beyond bad, here are the stats---

Passing--
Bears--Bobby Douglass-6 for 25 for 50 yards--2 picks-was sacked 9 times
Broncos--Steve Ramsey-8 for 16 for 81 yards--2 picks-was sacked 3 times

Bad stats to say the least. Mac Percival of the Bears made one field goal and missed two--one hit the left upright and the other hit the right upright. Denver's Jim Turner was two for four. at kickoff the wind was 15 mph, by the third quarter it was nasty!

Thank God for the Broncos Floyd Little , he rushed for 125 yards his O-line wasn't the best, trust me.

I was there. Almost 50 years ago, yes. Heh, I remember nothing but futility on both clubs. Chicago at that time was 6-5. But the Bears laying a big egg was understandable. It was only 6 days previous on November 30th that ABC premiered the movie "Brian's Song." There was several Bears players and coaches who were in that movie as well.

But all wasn't lost altogether. That evening me and 3 high school buddies went to the Denver Coliseum. The Who had just released the LP "who's Next" a few weeks earlier. And the Who played a GREAT GREAT CONCERT that night!!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-13-2021 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-13-2021, 04:50 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Thanks for updating the thread Burdell!

December 5, 1971--Bears at Broncos---nasty weather conditions coming in that evening. Both clubs were beyond bad, here are the stats---

Passing--
Bears--Bobby Douglass-6 for 25 for 50 yards--2 picks-was sacked 9 times
Broncos--Steve Ramsey-8 for 16 for 81 yards--2 picks-was sacked 3 times

Bad stats to say the least. Mac Percival of the Bears made one field goal and missed two--one hit the left upright and the other hit the right upright. Denver's Jim Turner was two for four. at kickoff the wind was 15 mph, by the third quarter it was nasty!

Thank God for the Broncos Floyd Little , he rushed for 125 yards his O-line wasn't the best, trust me.

I was there. Almost 50 years ago, yes. Heh, I remember nothing but futility on both clubs. Chicago at that time was 6-5. But the bears laying a big egg was understandable. It was only 6 days previous on November 30th that ABC premiered the movie "Brian's Song." There was several Bears players and coaches who were in that movie as well.

But all wasn't lost altogether. That evening me and 3 high school buddies went to the Denver Coliseum. The Who had just released the LP "who's Next" a few weeks earlier. And the Who played a GREAT GREAT CONCERT that night!!

Always nice to win one once in a while!

Old 09-14-2021, 08:08 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
Packers vs Lions. Like 1962. Played in mud on Thanksgiving if I remember right. 26-12 Lions. Bart Starr got sacked like 11 times or so. Lions forced 5 turnovers and the Packers gained only a little over 100 yds. A really sad performance. But GB won the championship that year and the loss to the Lions their only one that year.

Last edited by augiedogie; 09-14-2021 at 08:17 AM..

Old 09-18-2021, 06:53 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Packers vs Lions. Like 1962. Played in mud on Thanksgiving if I remember right. 26-12 Lions. Bart Starr got sacked like 11 times or so. Lions forced 5 turnovers and the Packers gained only a little over 100 yds. A really sad performance. But GB won the championship that year and the loss to the Lions their only one that year.
There are a fair amount of things I remember as a kid and that game was one of them. Roger Brown of the Lions had seven sacks that day and it was an NFL record that stood for years. Sadly, he passed a couple days ago at 84.

Thinking back to those days, it only they had a playoff format back then Detroit would have been a wild card team, that year IIRC they finished 11-3. And the Packers during the 1960's always had their hands full with Detroit. the Lions D had some solid talent--to name a few Alex Karras, Joe Schmidt, Dick LeBeau, Wayne Walker, Dick "Night Train" Lane, and others. also Yale Lary, a HOFer and a hell of a punter!!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-18-2021 at 07:03 PM..

Old 09-18-2021, 07:51 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
I think I read that 5 of those guys from the Lions defense were in HOF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football