Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 05:09 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,288,966 times

Advertisements

IMHO it's called great coaching led by Belichick who I feel is a coaching genius (like him or not).

Yes, it's an unnecessary red flag, created by a team who refuses not to continue to push the envelope so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 05:53 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,804,296 times
Welp, the Wells report continues to look like a joke more and more....

Pressure gauge discrepancies undermine Wells report | ProFootballTalk

Wells report disregards Anderson’s “best recollection” on a key piece of evidence | ProFootballTalk

Old 05-10-2015, 06:28 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
It is my understanding that the CBA only sets a penalty of a $25,000 fine. No suspension.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:59 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,479,862 times
The suspensions in the NFL are completely idiotic:

You text a coach during a game and you're out for 4 games. Put in artificial noise makers and your banned from the national committee. Deflate some footballs, suspension TBA.

Meanwhile you can chop block someone and end their career and only get a $50,000 fine. Doesn't make sense.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:41 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,665,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
And yet to date there is no proof of any cover-up. Everyone is just assuming that at this point. Sure, as in my previous post I mentioned Lance Armstrong who took forever to come clean. But until Brady issues any sort of statement (if he does), all still maybes and assumptions.

I never said he would get off with no penalty. Just making an opinion that I don't see enough evidence of the crime nor the cover-up to penalize, as there is no proof of either.

The NFL is the problem here.

Well, to you or me there is no obvious advantage simply because the noted PSI differences were so small, but obviously Brady sees an advantage otherwise there would be no story. It could simply be one of those quirky things that some players do before a game like eating a certain meal or engaging in a specific routine.

IMO, Brady likes the ball to feel a certain way which in this case is a bit lighter (PSI wise) than the recommended number. I believe there is likely no advantage either way and this is just one of those quirky player rituals that gives Brady some pregame comfort and confidence. Once the game is under way, it probably makes no difference either way.

Coming up on the biggest game of the year, Brady probably got a little anxious about the feel and went a little overboard to make sure those balls had that feel. If so, he should simply own up to it and move on. Regardless, there are those that will forever call him a cheat and he needs to realize that will never change. But if he admits that yea, he asked those guys to remove some air in the ball at least then he will win back a few detractors and some dignity.

Personally, I don't see a decided advantage in 1 pound less of PSI in the ball but then again, I could spit on a baseball or rough it up with an emery board all day long and it still wouldn't allow me to throw a nasty breaking ball...

Old 05-11-2015, 09:17 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
The winning play of the Super Bowl was a player who KNEW what play the Seahawks were running, the DB played possum, he dropped back to bait the receiver to think he was wide open and nobody was paying attention and then bam, as soon as wilson started to reach back to throw, this guy beelined right for the spot the ball was going to land, there's no way you can get there if its a reaction play, he knew that was coming or else he has no shot to get there.
In real world terms, this is what we would call "being prepared."

Old 05-11-2015, 12:46 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
IMHO it's called great coaching led by Belichick who I feel is a coaching genius (like him or not).
One major annoyance with Belichick, is that whenever I listen to his "pressers", I feel the urge to help him open his mouth just a little wider... in order to let the words through.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:04 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
The Belichick Brady combo is dynamite. Over the years the entire team has been replaced and yet they continue on winning. I have been a fan for decades and even with Drew Bledsoe the Patriots were pretty good but Brady elevated them.

The Patriots always bring a good game that is exciting to watch. They somehow manage to get it done when it counts. yes they get a bit creative now and again that has left other teams playing catchup but it is all legal.

Belichick is a genius and plenty of times he has left us saying what the heck are you doing but it always comes out in the end.

I'm sure they will continue winning until Brady retires. The only question is when Brady goes will Belichick call it quits too?

Old 05-11-2015, 01:26 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,288,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
One major annoyance with Belichick, is that whenever I listen to his "pressers", I feel the urge to help him open his mouth just a little wider... in order to let the words through.
I will admit Mr Stoneface does not excite on the podium. Wonder how much fun he is at a bar popping a few?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The Belichick Brady combo is dynamite. Over the years the entire team has been replaced and yet they continue on winning. I have been a fan for decades and even with Drew Bledsoe the Patriots were pretty good but Brady elevated them.

The Patriots always bring a good game that is exciting to watch. They somehow manage to get it done when it counts. yes they get a bit creative now and again that has left other teams playing catchup but it is all legal.

Belichick is a genius and plenty of times he has left us saying what the heck are you doing but it always comes out in the end.

I'm sure they will continue winning until Brady retires. The only question is when Brady goes will Belichick call it quits too?
I've always thought Belichick and Brady will go together. As a player obviously the body says retire. Belichick can continue. But I just wonder, unless his love for the game is so deep that his life is on the sidelines, I would think with zero to prove it would be good timing to enjoy the next stage of his life.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:46 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Well Goodell laid the smackdown. Four games for Brady, 2016 1st round pick and 2017 4th round pick for the Pats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football