Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 01:17 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times

Advertisements

The Patriots surely didn't do themselves any favors with their official rebuttal of the Wells Report. Their explanation of how Jim McNally came to be called "The Deflator" is laughably absurd. According to the Pats he's called that because he's fat and is trying to lose weight. That sounds exactly like something my 9-year-old would say after she's been caught with her hand in the cookie jar. Idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 09:52 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The average of the Prioleau (Logo gauge) measurements — and using an average makes sense given the non-repeatability of even a single gauge — is 11.49 psi, precisely what would have been predicted by the Ideal Gas Law. According to the League’s consultants, the Ideal Gas Law predicted the Patriots footballs which started at 12.5 would have measured between 11.32 and 11.52 psi at the end of the first half (pg. 113). The average of these 11 footballs is within or above that range, as are the actual psi of 8 of the 11 footballs. If air had been intentionally released from each football before the game, these numbers would be significantly lower. Stay in school avoid the drama.
Here is the flaw in your argument: "which started at 12.5."

You don't know, and neither does anyone else, that the balls started off at 12.5, because the initial measurements were not recorded by the officials or anyone else from the league. All anyone knows is that the balls were approved by Walt Anderson, meaning they could have measured as high as 13.5 when they were first measured.

There has been a lot of misinformation put out on this and your premise that all of the Patriots balls started off at 12.5 seems to be some of the most common misinformation coming from New England fans.

Please prove that their balls were measured at 12.5 PSI by the officials.

You can't, because NOBODY knows the original PSI. All we know is that they were BETWEEN 12.5 and 13.5, which is what they have to be for the official to approve them for play.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:59 PM

Anybody been to the weight loss forum lately to see how those "deflators" are doing?

I find it hard to believe that actual lawyers sat around and came up with that explanation for the "deflator" texts.

If you buy that, it has to be one of the most unlikely coincidences in history. That means someone who is trying to lose weight and refers to himself as "the deflator" (a term nobody uses in that context) is later accused of deflating footballs. Oh, that also means someone who is trying to lose weight and refers to himself as "the deflator" (a term nobody uses in that context), just so happens to be a ballboy for a team accused of deflating footballs.

I would love to hear Judge Judy respond to that argument.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:04 PM

I think the Patriots screwed themselves with the whole rebuttal webpage.

They pissed off Goodell and now he is going to hear the appeal himself. Good luck with that. He isn't going to go against the findings of Wells and Troy Vincent (solid player, BTW), the very people he appointed to investigate the case in the first place.

If he upholds the punishments, their only recourse is to sue the league. I would be shocked if it came to that.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:48 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,390,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post

I find it hard to believe that actual lawyers sat around and came up with that explanation for the "deflator" texts.

I would love to hear Judge Judy respond to that argument.
Out of the gallant 20,000 word Patriot denial, this definitely qualifies as the proverbial "fly in the ointment"... and it's a huge horsefly at that. Judge Judy would say, "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!" She would also say, "When you are in a hole, quit digging."

Old 05-15-2015, 06:44 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
Even I as a Pats and Brady fan was quite surprised to hear that explanation of how McNally got the nickname The Deflator. To even have to put that in the rebuttal seemed odd to me. But, the process will just have to work itself out. And if somewhere somehow that is even remotely true, I'll probably laugh at this whole thing, which I already am.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:28 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Here is the flaw in your argument: "which started at 12.5."

You don't know, and neither does anyone else, that the balls started off at 12.5, because the initial measurements were not recorded by the officials or anyone else from the league. All anyone knows is that the balls were approved by Walt Anderson, meaning they could have measured as high as 13.5 when they were first measured.

There has been a lot of misinformation put out on this and your premise that all of the Patriots balls started off at 12.5 seems to be some of the most common misinformation coming from New England fans.

Please prove that their balls were measured at 12.5 PSI by the officials.

You can't, because NOBODY knows the original PSI. All we know is that they were BETWEEN 12.5 and 13.5, which is what they have to be for the official to approve them for play.
Please prove that the balls did not measure that way, You can't and neither can the NFL. They don't record it and don't even know which of the gauges they used.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:45 AM

672 posts, read 789,832 times
McNally, Jastremski punishment undermines Patriots website - Business Insider

Quote:
The rebuttal says there's no definitive proof that locker room attendant Jim McNally and equipment assistant John Jastremski plotted to deflate the balls, and there's no definitive proof that Tom Brady knew about it
But there's a big problem here: The Patriots indefinitely suspended McNally and Jastremski, the two employees at the center of the scandal, without pay the day the Wells Report came out

Old 05-15-2015, 11:28 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,611 times
I am not a Patriot 'hater' and do indeed respect their football prowess.
However, after reading the text messages and smug statements, one would have to have the intellect of a slug not to believe that they conspired to deflate their footballs.

Whether this made much of a game difference or not is irrelevant, as the subsequent denials and explanations offered verge on the ludicrous and insult the common sense of the general public, many of whom don't live and die for football.

That the management of the team does not see that their behavior in the aftermath is worse than the actual offense shows that they know football, but not much else.

If they pursue lengthy appeals it would likely only make matters worse.
Who knows what other dirt lies under the rug, or which 'deflator' has had enough and spills his guts?

Old 05-15-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Please prove that the balls did not measure that way, You can't and neither can the NFL. They don't record it and don't even know which of the gauges they used.
Why would I have to prove the PSI? I don't claim to know the exact PSI, you do. You stated the balls were measured at 12.5 PSI. Please tell us how you know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football