Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 07:04 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
If you have been following the reporting, why are you assuming Richardson is being driven out for the 1(one) reported pay out for a racial slur and not the Multiple (more than one ) pay outs for inappropriate sexual remarks/contact??

Have you read the write up and allegations in the SI report?? Pretty well documented at this point so hardly slander....

He has clearly been trying to cover up his mis steps over the years with payoffs to silence those who might have sullied his reputation....well now those chickens have come home to roost and his response is to sell the team and get out of Dodge...pretty clear who the guilty party is here and its not "social justice warriors"

Heating and cooling glass houses must be hell.

I'd 100% support him continuing to own the Panthers. Hell, if we can impeach a President for lying to America about an improper relationship with an intern in the Oval Office, I think we can move past him telling someone they look good in jeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 02:49 AM

665 posts, read 613,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
18, I agree, Richardson probably won't fight his demise. He'll basically take the money & bounce.

But it's a shame to me... not because I'm going to defend Richardson.. but because it's lame (to me), how contemporary society (primarily cultural-Marxist media and social media) can bully people into surrendering their long-cultivated incomes so easily.

I hated it when Donald Sterling was quickly crucified, and pressured in to giving up the Clippers (over a private argument w/his Black girlfriend).
I don't care if guys who own teams are angels, or politically correct,.. they're businessmen, not school teachers, or priests.. This contemporary, $ocial-justice standard, is really a cultural power play (not objective, moral outrage).. to divest power away from 'good ol' boys' that $ocial-justice acolytes, & some media members, despise. My perception..
I don't know about the Richardson situation in depth but the Sterling issue ran deep outside of sports. He was involved in lawsuits due to housing restrictions to minorities (blacks, latinos, etc.) and making sexist and racist remarks. The radioplay on Sterling here in LA at the time of the incident was very damning to an already long track record of Donald Sterling's bad behavior in LA. In addition, to the stuff Sterling was doing off the courts he was not fielding a competitive product in the NBA for a long number of years. Not resigning marquee players, taking bad draft picks against his GM's advice, bad mouthing his own players while they were on the court playing in the game, and other weird stuff, you name it he did it. It would make the Cleveland Browns like a class act in comparison. In fact, a number of employees such as coaches and his long time GM, Elgin Baylor, who was grossly underpaid BTW, took him to court.

While Richardson may have done some bad acts it would be hard to believe it was as bad as Sterling. At least Richardson consistently fielded a competitive team for the fans (2 Super Bowl appearances and multiple successful playoff runs) and when they were down they attempted to come back and field a competitive product. You could make an argument that he is the most progressive owner in the NFL (hispanic head coach and black QB).

If there was an owner in the NFL that had these issues I definitely would not have picked Richardson. This is bad situation for the NFL to clean up especially since he was the Panthers original owner and the only former NFL player to have a majority stake in a team.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:02 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Murk, Your post confirms what I'm speculating on..

You make slanderous, blanket generalizations.. That anyone who defends Richardson's due process has questionable morals.. You overlook my broad point, which is not a defense of Richardson personally. It's that I resent self-righteous social media mobs.. who can turn their ire on anyone now. Because most everybody naively accepts their moral authority..

And you're admitting.. you don't believe ppl in America should say what they want. That's exactly how the totalitarian, $ocial-Just Us mob feels. They have to approve everyone's feelings & utterances, or else that person can lose their income and/or everything they worked for.. peace.
There are also self righteous social media mobs on the right that attacked Colin Kaepernick and some other players for kneeling during the National Anthem. Have you criticized those mobs for the ire they displayed or did you naively accept their so called moral authority? You believe people in America should say what they want, right? Your words in the above post. Sounds like selective outrage. Pot meet kettle.

I guess when unrealistic standards are set for players, they are eventually also set for owners. Be careful what you wish for is the lesson here. Am not particularly sympathetic to Richardson. He will get a generous amount of money for the team.

Last edited by chessgeek; 12-21-2017 at 03:11 AM..

Old 12-21-2017, 03:44 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy973 View Post
I don't know about the Richardson situation in depth but the Sterling issue ran deep outside of sports. He was involved in lawsuits due to housing restrictions to minorities (blacks, latinos, etc.) and making sexist and racist remarks. The radioplay on Sterling here in LA at the time of the incident was very damning to an already long track record of Donald Sterling's bad behavior in LA. In addition, to the stuff Sterling was doing off the courts he was not fielding a competitive product in the NBA for a long number of years. Not resigning marquee players, taking bad draft picks against his GM's advice, bad mouthing his own players while they were on the court playing in the game, and other weird stuff, you name it he did it. It would make the Cleveland Browns like a class act in comparison. In fact, a number of employees such as coaches and his long time GM, Elgin Baylor, who was grossly underpaid BTW, took him to court.

While Richardson may have done some bad acts it would be hard to believe it was as bad as Sterling. At least Richardson consistently fielded a competitive team for the fans (2 Super Bowl appearances and multiple successful playoff runs) and when they were down they attempted to come back and field a competitive product. You could make an argument that he is the most progressive owner in the NFL (hispanic head coach and black QB).

If there was an owner in the NFL that had these issues I definitely would not have picked Richardson. This is bad situation for the NFL to clean up especially since he was the Panthers original owner and the only former NFL player to have a majority stake in a team.
Definitely agree that Richardson fielded a competitive team and obviously has a hispanic head coach and black QB. Just knew that when some players got criticized for their statements and actions, the same would eventually happen to some owners.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:00 AM

665 posts, read 613,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Definitely agree that Richardson fielded a competitive team and obviously has a hispanic head coach and black QB. Just knew that when some players got criticized for their statements and actions, the same would eventually happen to some owners.
Agreed. An eye for an eye. To this day, I've never been to a Clippers game and don't plan on going to any in the future because of the Sterling.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:24 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy973 View Post
Agreed. An eye for an eye. To this day, I've never been to a Clippers game and don't plan on going to any in the future because of the Sterling.
Now.. This is the flip side of "Boycotting" that drives me crazy.

Not going to the games because of Sterling.. Hey.. More power to you. I can understand that, I would back you up on that 100% that it is perfectly reasonable and logical for you to have that attitude.

Until Sterling SOLD THE DAMN TEAM

Who would you be protesting against now? Steve Ballmer, a retired Microsoft executive who seemingly doesn't have a racist bone in his body and is quite the philanthropist.

So, any kind of boycott/protesting against the Clippers right now because of Donald Sterling is just dumb. you want to protest against them because they've basically been a train wreck of a franchise since their inception.. ok.. That's fair.

I hear people say they won't eat Domino's Pizza because the owner supported Pro-Life organizations. Yes, he did, with his own money, but.. Outside of that, ok, fine, you don't want to spend money there because of that.. At least educate yourself enough to know that he SOLD THE DAMN COMPANY 20 YEARS AGO! If you don't want to eat there, at least don't eat there because the food sucks or something, not because of what some previous owner did.

People get all up in arms about Chick-Fil-A.. Yeah, never mind that the charities they donated to they have stopped.. And, i'll bet if they were one of the people in the Atlanta airport when they donated sandwiches while the power was out, they'd be eating it...

Old 12-22-2017, 06:26 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Heating and cooling glass houses must be hell.

I'd 100% support him continuing to own the Panthers. Hell, if we can impeach a President for lying to America about an improper relationship with an intern in the Oval Office, I think we can move past him telling someone they look good in jeans.
No glass house here to heat or cool....I can honestly state I have never sexually harassed a woman at work or anywhere....maybe you can't say that then?

You don't make substantial pay outs in "hush money" because you told someone "they looked good in jeans"

Read the SI report, the guy has acted like a creep for years....and it really doesn't matter if you or EVERY Panther fan supported MISTER Richardson, the NFL would have forced him to sell if an investigation supports the allegations and his rush to sell certainly implies that he knows what an investigation will find....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football