Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 06:27 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
In the playoffs each team should possess the ball. Chiefs should've gotten a chance to match the Pats opening touchdown drive, just like the Falcons should've been able to match the Pats opening TD drive in Super Bowl 51. Unlike the Falcons, who were not going to score a touchdown because they were done, the Chiefs I believe would have scored, and than we can get to a "next score wins" game.
We were talking about that last night. In college football OT, each team gets a possession. At the very least I think the 15 minutes should be played out. It doesn’t seem fair that a coin toss determines the outcome. But I don’t make the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 06:29 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Seems like favoritism on the ref's part for the Brady Bunch. Makes me sick. JMO, the Chiefs outplayed Brady's bunch. I am a die hard Bronco fan, but loved the Chiefs, this year.

What was that? He touched the ball, he did not touch the ball. Anyway, I will be really busy during the Super Bowl..................not watching it this year.......better things to do.
New England - 524 yards total offense
Kansas City - 290 yards total offense

New England - 36 first downs
Kansas City - 18 first downs

New England - possessed the ball for 44 minutes
Kansas City - possessed the ball for 21 minutes

New England did turn the ball over twice, while Kansas City didn't at all. On the other hand, New England gave up no sacks, while Kansas City gave up four for a whopping -46 yards.

The idea that Kansas City outplayed New England is... well, creative. Let's leave it at that.

PS - Was it 'favoritism' on the part of the officials wherein they called six penalties on New England to four on Kansas City? Again, that's just fact-free hyperbole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
We were talking about that last night. In college football OT, each team gets a possession. At the very least I think the 15 minutes should be played out. It doesn’t seem fair that a coin toss determines the outcome. But I don’t make the rules.
The coin toss doesn't determine the outcome. Just ask the "Yay, we won the toss!" Saints.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:50 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
The announces mentioned the Chiefs has the #3 scoring offense of all time, behind the 2007 Patriots and 2013 Broncos. Love trivia like that. They have a couple years where they should be able to keep the key pieces of that unit together before players hit FA and become more expensive. But they’re going to need to make some serious upgrades on defense or they’re going to be perpetually disappointed in the playoffs.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:00 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
The coin toss doesn't determine the outcome. Just ask the "Yay, we won the toss!" Saints.
Not always, but the team that wins the coin toss definitely has the advantage.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:51 AM

307 posts, read 118,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Seems like favoritism on the ref's part for the Brady Bunch. Makes me sick. JMO, the Chiefs outplayed Brady's bunch. I am a die hard Bronco fan, but loved the Chiefs, this year.

What was that? He touched the ball, he did not touch the ball. Anyway, I will be really busy during the Super Bowl..................not watching it this year.......better things to do.

Not a pats fan but in the replay it was clear that the ball missed his hands.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:07 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonwoodbao View Post
Not a pats fan but in the replay it was clear that the ball missed his hands.
Yeah when they looked at every different angle it was pretty clear he didn’t touch it. Plus his reaction was a huge give away as well. I think the only real complaint about officiating Chiefs fans can make is that roughing the passer call. That was awful (though not inconsistent with some of the other penalties we’ve seen assessed for QB “hits” in recent years). But that “muffed punt” wasn’t a muffed punt.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:35 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,302,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Not always, but the team that wins the coin toss definitely has the advantage.
Last night in a game with two lousy defenses who were both tired it was pretty obvious that whoever won the toss was scoring a TD

Old 01-21-2019, 09:12 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
While the NFL OT rules are not perfect, they're also not as lopsided in favor of the team that wins the coin toss as some are suggesting. It's pretty simple - if you lose the coin toss your defense only needs to make a stop and then you get the ball back and only need a FG to win.

Kansas City's defense could simply not stop the Patriots in OT. They converted on 3rd down 3 times during the drive. All three times it was 3rd and 10 and obvious passing situations for the Patriots.

The NFL is also very lucky that Dorsett caught that TD pass from Brady before the first half ended. It was a clear as day PI call and no flag was thrown. It would have been a HUGE no call had Dorsett dropped the pass.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:20 AM

307 posts, read 118,845 times
I don't think both teams should get a chance to possess in OT. It would lead to too many ties. The current rules that were put in place a few years ago have already led to more ties.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:55 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
New England - 524 yards total offense
Kansas City - 290 yards total offense

New England - 36 first downs
Kansas City - 18 first downs

New England - possessed the ball for 44 minutes
Kansas City - possessed the ball for 21 minutes

New England did turn the ball over twice, while Kansas City didn't at all. On the other hand, New England gave up no sacks, while Kansas City gave up four for a whopping -46 yards.
Experience matters in football, particularly in the playoffs. Mahomes will get better at getting rid of the ball to avoid sacks. Note that Brady was not sacked in last night's game or the game against the chargers. Due to great offensive line play and Brady's awareness. One of the sacks on Mahomes took KC out of field goal range early in the game. The missed 3 points would have been nice to have in the fourth quarter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football