Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 10:55 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,713 times

Advertisements

Kind of crazy that fans would boo the guy into retirement. He made a very personal decision, I think fans should respect that. And I’m a Bears fan so it ain’t like I’m wedded to the guy. Now if it was Jay Cutler, maybe.

“It hurt — I’ll be honest, it hurt,” Luck said referring to the reaction.

Andrew Luck didn't hide his emotions when announcing his retirement from the NFL on Saturday. (AP)
Andrew Luck didn't hide his emotions when announcing his retirement from the NFL on Saturday. (AP)
Those fans were booing because they knew that a Pro Bowl quarterback’s sudden decision to retire two weeks before the regular season would leave a team in the lurch. And to be sure, the Colts may still be hard-pressed to reach their ceiling in 2019, a season in which they need to reach the AFC title game to build on last season’s accomplishments.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/in-indy...033708460.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 03:54 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
I can see both side. I mean, he's doing what he had to do.. And I don't think he's been treated all that great by Colts management.

But, he is leaving the team in a pretty big lurch retiring with 2 weeks to go before the regular season with, basically, no notice. Not that he could have known this is how he would feel at this point.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:35 PM

6,430 posts, read 4,922,941 times
I guess the Colts are out of luck . In all seriousness they took one of the greatest talents in a while and ruined him. The beatings he took earlier in his career caught up with him. Instead of having a competent OL he was running for his life most of the time. By the time management figured things out, it was too late. You can be sure that if he was drafted by the Pats he would still be playing at a hall of fame level.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:31 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,500,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I can see both side. I mean, he's doing what he had to do.. And I don't think he's been treated all that great by Colts management.

But, he is leaving the team in a pretty big lurch retiring with 2 weeks to go before the regular season with, basically, no notice. Not that he could have known this is how he would feel at this point.
I seriously doubt the Colts had no inkling of this. They held on to Bisset for a reason. They new Luck was considering retirement.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I seriously doubt the Colts had no inkling of this. They held on to Bisset for a reason. They new Luck was considering retirement.

Well, they had an inkling the past week, because it was said he started discussing it over the past week. But, still.. That's after the 2nd preseason game.

I think they kept Brissett no matter what. He's still on the contract he signed with NE, due to make just $2 million this year.

He's the 43rd highest paid QB. Pretty cheap for a decent quality backup.

BUT.. The problem is.. They've got nothing behind him. Chad Kelly, who is just one step away from Johnny Manzeil 2.0 and PJ Walker who's never been on an active roster (Practice squad only)

So, they're going to have to pull off a trade, most likely. I've seen Bridgewater's name tossed around.. Colt McCoy/Case Keenum.. Someone even said Eli, but.. No. Heard Nate Sudfeld as well, but I don't think the Eagles part with him.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:13 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,508,620 times
I think it was bad timing, he should have announced it on Sunday. 90% of NFL fans would have booed their QB if they found out that he announced his retirement during the actual game.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:48 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I think it was bad timing, he should have announced it on Sunday. 90% of NFL fans would have booed their QB if they found out that he announced his retirement during the actual game.

somebody blabbed, most likely from the Indy front office.

I thought the reports of booing were a bit overblown from what I could tell watching the game feed and think it's possible some of the boos had more to do with what looked like a poor performance by the team in an "important" game 3 practice tune-up that fans are expected to dole out regular season prices for. Can't fault anyone who booed considering the news while paying to sit through an unimpressive NFL product and than finding out your star QB just flushed the season down the drain with two weeks to the season start.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:48 AM

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/andre...ion-under-fire

I totally disagree with what Beuerlein has to say there. Taking a few weeks to think about it.. That would be something of a slap in the face to Brissett. At least with him retiring, Jacoby knows the job is his and can get in the proper mindset.

Sitting there wondering if Luck is going to come back.. and especially if Brissett took them to say a 6-2 record, then Luck decides he's going to com back..

Old 08-26-2019, 12:26 PM

294 posts, read 219,896 times
When you live with chronic pain as I have for decades your perspective on life changes dramatically. I was once a rabid Bears fan and worked in Walter Paytons neighborhood and would always stop and talk to him every chance I had. A few months after they won the 86' Super Bowl I asked Walter if he had his ring yet and he told me no and then he told me he was going to throw it in the small lake next to his house and whoever finds it can keep it. I know he did not intend to do that but it was a shock to hear him be that real about how meaningless winning a STUPID game really was. When he passed away I shed many tears and it really made me think about what value sports really has. Many people are much too invested in how their team is performing. Get a life!!!
All those jacka--es that booed Andrew Luck will hopefully get some perspective on life when REAL problems happen. Its just a STUPID game that has no relevance at all in the great scheme of things.
The Bears win was the first championship in Chicago since the Blackhawks in 1961 and most of us in Chicago had no idea what a ring ceremony was so I asked that silly question a few months too soon.
He was really a very nice man unlike most of the self centered clowns in the NFL today.

Last edited by Farmer Larry; 08-26-2019 at 12:38 PM..

Old 08-26-2019, 12:33 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 11 hours ago)

52,700 posts, read 47,981,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I guess the Colts are out of luck . In all seriousness they took one of the greatest talents in a while and ruined him. The beatings he took earlier in his career caught up with him. Instead of having a competent OL he was running for his life most of the time. By the time management figured things out, it was too late.
And that's the tragedy of it. This is a situation where a decision like this happened way before it should have. He was a great player and a thorn in the Houston Texans' side. The problem is, what you just said about the beatings, and more. Imagine if he hadn't had all those injuries. They took their toll on a tremendously talented quarterback. Now, Indy's got to start over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football