Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 04:51 PM

17,641 posts, read 15,332,280 times

Advertisements

So, details are finally starting to come out.. And.. Ruggs is an idiot.

I wonder.. Does this end his career? I'm not ready to say that with certainty.. I have no doubt he gets jail time.. Nevada is.. Pretty cut and dried on some things and Felony DUI is one of them. I don't see him getting less than 2 years. And parole is unlikely in less time than that.

They locked OJ up for 9 years. Nevada tends to do sentencing ranges.. So, Ruggs getting something like 2 to 10 years is certainly possible and then paroled after 2.

He's not a Rae Carruth.. This was a horrendous, absolutely stupid lack of judgement, but he didn't go out intending to kill someone as Carruth did, or rather, have someone killed. Assuming he does the 2 years, he'd most likely be out for the 2024 season, at which time he'd only be 25.. BUT.. There's apt to be a weapons charge (A bit ticky-tacky IMO) for having a loaded gun in the vehicle, and a second felony DUI charge for the injury to his passenger. So.. I think he's probably looking at more a minimum of 5 years and that makes things far more questionable as he'd be a closer to 30 year old WR with his speed being his biggest weapon.

ESPN is reporting that he was driving over 150mph before hitting the Toyota and that the impact trapped the driver of the Toyota in her vehicle where she burned to death.. So.. Liability.. He better hope he gets out and can resume his career to make the money that he's going to have to pay to her family.

BAC of .161, double the legal limit.

And, here's one of the saddest points here.. Apparently NFL players have totally free Uber/Lyft rides available to them through the NFLPA.

So totally preventable. A waste all around.

So.. Career over? Not certain, but.. Wow that'd be tough. Vick did it.. But most likely a shorter time away and a position that can play longer helped that. Though, Ruggs is younger.

Time? Assuming the multiple charges.. 5 years seems the minimum, TBH. I don't know the statute on the weapons charge, but the Felony DUI resulting in death, Felony DUI resulting in serious injury (For his passenger/apparent baby mama) a reckless driving charge and the gun charge.. I don't really see getting less than 5.

Lesson learned? I certainly hope so, not only on Ruggs' part, but every other player in the league should be shaken to their core over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2021, 05:34 PM

14,333 posts, read 14,644,765 times
Horrible, sad situation, thoughts and prayers for the girls family. Made the mistake of looking at the photos of the crash. What in the world was he thinking, going that fast, insane.

Back in the league, at this point, don't know, don't care. It is hard to be sympathetic or optimistic, he's going to be doing hard time no doubt.

Old 11-03-2021, 05:51 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,383,320 times
I would suggest sending him up forever. There is no forgiveness for that sort of disrespect for the rest of humanity.

It is a shame to do it to such a young person with a significant career ahead. But those who cannot manage minimal standards must simply be removed.

Old 11-03-2021, 06:54 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,729,268 times
I pray that this idiot gets the heaviest possible sentence. Makes me sick some wondering if he would get a lesser sentence if he shows 'contrition.'

Show 'contrition?' This moron? He can show all the contrition he wants AFTER he gets sentenced to over 20 years in prison.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:51 PM

6,407 posts, read 9,002,651 times
He has enough money to get treatment we would not but he will still do time and will never play another snap in the NFL.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:25 PM

3,267 posts, read 5,642,956 times
He was driving 156 mph. BAC .161. He didn't call an Uber nor taxi. He sux. He killed someone with his recklessness.

He chose to drive that fast AFTER drinking. I call that at the very least vehicular manslaughter and IMO vehicular homicide. He's too dangerous to be let lose on society.

I worked as a trauma critical care RN for 30 years. I have no empathy for him. He killed someone and needs to be taken out of free society. He doesn't deserve the privilege of playing professional sports nor the money and perks that it provides. He has to own it !

I'm pissed just typing this and thinking about his actions.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:33 PM

17,641 posts, read 15,332,280 times
A lot of thoughts here.. Most weighing on the heavy, if not draconian side. Totally understand where that comes from.. Imagine if that were one of your family members who was killed.

That being said.. I also have to say.. Think back to your youth.. And likely, you also find a situation where you did something ungodly stupid.. but the coin flip came up heads in your situation. Dare to say, we all have that crossroads in our lives. Perhaps not quite to THIS level, but..

He is only 22. Does that change what he did at all? Not in the least. There's still a young woman who is no longer with us because of his actions.

If this were part of a pattern of behavior, I'd probably lean more to the harsh side of things myself.. But, from what I can see, at least, it's not. It's one of the problems that when you're drunk, you don't make the best decisions in the world. Of course.. This is why you should plan ahead.

Many people just don't have a concept of time. Think of where you were 20 years ago. That would have been 2001. Around this time we were gearing up in Afghanistan, anthrax letters were flying around.. 20 years of your life is a long, long time. Hell.. 2 years is a long time.

Should he get special treatment because he is an athlete, of course not. But.. He does have the unique ability to earn a significant amount of money.. Money which a good bit should go to the family of the young woman he killed. Remember, his net worth right now.. Isn't much. He got about 4 million last year.. Maybe a million this year. So, 5 million total. After taxes.. Maybe 2.5? I doubt there's much of that left.

It all comes down to the judge as to how much time he gets. I'm glad I am not a part of that decision. I'd say that 5 years is probably the cut off so far as him playing again. falls on the near side of that, possible.. Far side of it.. Unlikely.

After all, if Vick was allowed back in the league, Ruggs will be as well.

Old 11-03-2021, 11:38 PM
KCZ

4,684 posts, read 3,686,926 times
The DUI with death resulting charge alone is 2-20 years. Tack on the other stuff (reckless driving, passenger injury, gun charges), he'll get at least 10 years. Personally, I hope he gets the max on all charges. He can rot in jail for 50 years and think about that poor woman and her family.

Old 11-04-2021, 06:43 AM

11,290 posts, read 11,059,747 times
As with most drunk driving cases, the wrong person died. Then I read he was even uncooperative at the scene with the responders. Just another piece of overpaid entitled trash. Poor woman and her dog burned to death. What a horrible effing way to go. Hope the POS rots in a cell for at least the next 20 years.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:22 AM
KCZ

4,684 posts, read 3,686,926 times
Quote:
Tina Tintor, the 23-year-old woman identified as the person killed in a fiery crash when Las Vegas Raiders wide receiver Henry Ruggs III rammed into her Toyota early Tuesday morning in Las Vegas, was heard screaming following the incident, according to a report from the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Alexander Hart, a security guard for a nearby condominium community, said he heard screams coming from the Toyota, per the report. He told police that the driver was still alive and he couldn’t pull her out of the vehicle because she was pinned inside. The car “was soon overcome with smoke and heat from flames,” and Hart had to back away, according to the report. Tintor was only a few blocks from her residence. Her dog, who was in the back seat, also died in the accident.

Prosecutor Eric Bauman told Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Joe M. Bonaventure during Ruggs’ initial court hearing on Wednesday that air bag computer records showed that the Corvette decelerated from 156 mph to 127 mph before it slammed into Tintor’s Toyota RAV4, rupturing the vehicle’s fuel tank and igniting a fireball, per ESPN. Bauman said Ruggs was uncooperative with police and medical workers, and his blood alcohol level taken within the required two hours after the crash was 0.161%, twice the legal limit. He also said there was a loaded firearm found inside the floor of the car Ruggs was driving.
https://www.nj.com/sports/2021/11/wo...er-report.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football