Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 07:54 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times

Advertisements

WOW WHAT A FINISH !!!!!!

Talk about (aboot) exciting, that was an exciting finish. WOW

Love it when a championship game goes right down to the final 13 seconds.

I got a kick out of all the pregame traditions, and looks like many afterwards now

SO does Canada shut down all life for the Grey Cup like the USA basically does for the Super Bowl?
No? Canadians are much more balanced I guess.

It was fun to watch, the stadium was full , I wish I could be there in the 30 degree weather, but maybe next year. Looks like a fun night, especially for French Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2023, 08:32 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Yep, that's a wrap, folks. The 110th Grey Cup is now in the books, Winnipeg Blue Bombers 24 - Montreal Alouettes 28. All in all, it was a very exciting game full of surprises. Though they both gave up several opportunities at times, I think both teams played well. I was especially worried that the Alouettes dug themselves into a hole at the end of the first half with that failed touchdown but they proved wrong. The Alouettes were the underdogs but clearly showed that they wanted to win it all. The Blue Bombers had the better talent but this being the 4th time in a row they made it to the Grey Cup, they might have lost some of that drive to win as strange as it sounds.

As a side note, I couldn't help but notice that the Grey Cup halftime show was shorter than a typical Superbowl halftime show, which usually lasts about half an hour. The Grey Cup halftime show lasted only 15-20 minutes. Has it always been this short? Also, weren't there other years that featured more than one act? Green Day is a band I should know more about because they hit big during my high school years but I was never into them. I was surprised that they did not perform "When I Come Around", their first top ten hit song (in US and Canada). Perhaps it went too far back and the band were afraid audience members would not be attached to it.

Old 11-19-2023, 10:54 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Talk about (aboot) exciting, ....
Let's not go there, eh?

Quote:
Love it when a championship game goes right down to the final 13 seconds.
Me too. That was an edge-of-your-seater right up to the end. I was messaging with a friend in Regina during the game, and we both agreed at the end that this was a game for the ages. Winnipeg may have been in control in the first half, but Montreal must have "got told" in the locker at halftime, and in the second half, played like they meant more than normal business.

Quote:
I got a kick out of all the pregame traditions, and looks like many afterwards now
Which did you like? I'm just curious.

Quote:
SO does Canada shut down all life for the Grey Cup like the USA basically does for the Super Bowl?
No? Canadians are much more balanced I guess.
There would have been Grey Cup parties in private homes, and some sports bars would have done the same, but I'd suggest that for most Canadians who aren't CFL fans, life went on pretty much as it would on any normal Sunday: kids playing road hockey, adults doing the last of the yardwork, people shopping for stuff, and of course, non-CFL football fans who preferred to be watching NFL instead. Or NHL hockey.

Old 11-19-2023, 11:23 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
As a side note, I couldn't help but notice that the Grey Cup halftime show was shorter than a typical Superbowl halftime show, which usually lasts about half an hour. The Grey Cup halftime show lasted only 15-20 minutes. Has it always been this short? Also, weren't there other years that featured more than one act? Green Day is a band I should know more about because they hit big during my high school years but I was never into them. I was surprised that they did not perform "When I Come Around", their first top ten hit song (in US and Canada). Perhaps it went too far back and the band were afraid audience members would not be attached to it.
I'm not sure. The halftime show lasted about as long as I recall it usually doing--around 20 minutes, give or take. Despite what you saw tonight, it doesn't tend to be as big a production as the Super Bowl's, so it's typically easier and faster to get rid of, and clean up the field.

What surprised me was the choice of Green Day. Typically, the CFL tries to get Canadian performers; and if there is more than one, then they are complimentary to each other--Joni Mitchell and Gordon Lightfoot, for example. But there are plenty of Canadian performers who are capable of running a solo show; I'm thinking the Barenaked Ladies or whatever formation Tanglefoot has taken today, might have been good. (For total wackiness, I'd suggest the Arrogant Worms, which would have been a really fun show.) I'm unsure why an American band was selected this year, except maybe the CFL was trying to attract younger viewers.

I should mention the commercials. They were, as expected, reruns of the commercials we've seen during sports, and other programming, broadcasts for the last few weeks. Nothing really new or original or surprising. Well, at least I was reminded, as I have been for a while, that Coors Light will quench my thirst, that Tim Horton's has a new flavour of coffee, that Boston Pizza is a great place to watch sports, and that BMO Financial can help me with investments. Yawn. At least Budweiser, which is very popular here, could have done something new and original for the Grey Cup with their famous Clydesdales, for the Grey Cup broadcast.

There were plenty of promos for upcoming TSN stuff ("World Juniors!" Don't get me started on this one; it's basically high-school hockey players from all over the world playing a tournament that weirdly, a lot of Canadians care about [and note, LKC, that it is never "aboot"].)

Old 11-20-2023, 06:43 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Let's not go there, eh?

Me too. That was an edge-of-your-seater right up to the end. I was messaging with a friend in Regina during the game, and we both agreed at the end that this was a game for the ages. Winnipeg may have been in control in the first half, but Montreal must have "got told" in the locker at halftime, and in the second half, played like they meant more than normal business.

There would have been Grey Cup parties in private homes, and some sports bars would have done the same, but I'd suggest that for most Canadians who aren't CFL fans, life went on pretty much as it would on any normal Sunday: kids playing road hockey, adults doing the last of the yardwork, people shopping for stuff, and of course, non-CFL football fans who preferred to be watching NFL instead. Or NHL hockey.
I'd add to this that you obviously get heightened interest in the cities of the teams that are playing. Or to some degree even in the whole province. I live in Quebec two hours from Montreal and yesterday you couldn't *not* know the Alouettes were playing in the Grey Cup.

It's also the top sports news story in the country by far.

But no, not really like the Super Bowl that grinds the US down to a halt with everyone (seemingly) focused on that.

The Grey Cup used to almost be like that in the past, but that hasn't been the case for several decades now.

Old 11-20-2023, 07:21 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Here is the home page of RDS, basically Quebec and French-speaking Canada's ESPN:

https://www.rds.ca/

(If you look at this after Nov. 20, 2023, you won't get the point.)

Old 11-20-2023, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Let's not go there, eh?

Quote:

I liked the singing of the Canadian National Anthem in English and in French. Canada has an awesome National anthem. I always enjoy singing along whenever the blue Jays or a Canadian Hockey team is here for an event. The person who sang had a very good voice.

I liked the way they had Mounties bring the trophy in and then carry it out onto the stage for the presentation. I also liked how that interviewed numerous players on the field afterwards, instead of just a coach and an MVP... The Broadcast was well done, even if I had to view it through a small screen on the laptop

Old 11-20-2023, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Here is the home page of RDS, basically Quebec and French-speaking Canada's ESPN:

https://www.rds.ca/

(If you look at this after Nov. 20, 2023, you won't get the point.)

Yes, for once the Alouettes got the media coverage they deserved and more. Even CBC and CTV made good mention of the Alouettes' Grey Cup victory and that is different because all year long, neither hardly mentioned anything about the CFL. Anglophones would have had to tune in to TSN or read up on 3 Down Nation to find news about the CFL. It is interesting though obvious that RDS focuses much on Marc-Antoine Dequoy because he is a native Montrealer. Dequoy apparently felt slighted when he saw the dearth of French advertisements at Tim Horton's field throughout the game and bitterly complained in the post-game interview (he has since retracted somewhat saying his emotions got the better of him during the interview and that he expressed no ill-will to Anglophones). Yeah, I understand the frustrations in realizing that you're ill-represented even in a national championship that is supposed to represent all of Canada.

Old 11-20-2023, 07:02 PM

Quote:

What surprised me was the choice of Green Day. Typically, the CFL tries to get Canadian performers; and if there is more than one, then they are complimentary to each other--Joni Mitchell and Gordon Lightfoot, for example. But there are plenty of Canadian performers who are capable of running a solo show; I'm thinking the Barenaked Ladies or whatever formation Tanglefoot has taken today, might have been good. (For total wackiness, I'd suggest the Arrogant Worms, which would have been a really fun show.) I'm unsure why an American band was selected this year, except maybe the CFL was trying to attract younger viewers.

That is interesting indeed. Perhaps no Canadian act was available to perform? I would think if an American act was invited, the CFL would also invite a Canadian act to complement. You're right that there are plenty of Canadian acts to choose from. My sister wonders why Alanis Morrisette never performed at a Grey Cup even if she is an obvious choice. I actually wouldn't mind singer-songwriter Matt Mays from Nova Scotia either.

Old 11-21-2023, 01:58 PM

The Grey Cup made the MNF highlights last night. We are still talking about how a championship game, going down to the wire, is the best way to play a game.

I remember two Super Bowls, one with The 49ers and the Bengals in 89, The Bengals were ahead all game, then, like it was a rigged Wrestling comeback, the 49ers marched through a Bengal defense that suddenly parted like the red sea for a win

The other game was when the Rams beat the Titans. Remember the Titans had the ball, their player was headed to the goal line when he got grabbed and stopped short of the endzone as time expired by a Ram. Both games came down to the end, but most of the time, it seems like one team runs away

The GREY CUP was a good game, and the way the Alouttes established themselves in the second half, and at the end when it mattered most, was memorable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football