Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 07:15 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,786,882 times

Advertisements

So who is hyped about this?

Highlights that are known so far:
  • The game will be played live at Tim Horton's Field in Hamiltion, ON
  • American viewers can stream on CFL+ while Canadian viewers can watch on TSN
  • Green Day will headline the Halftime Show
  • There will be a festival with numerous events happening on the days preceding the game
  • Carrie Underwood is scheduled to perform as part of that festival on Friday the 17th
  • Tickets are on sale for both festival events and the Grey Cup itself but selling out fast (avg. $300-$400 USD for good seats!)
What we don't know so far is of course which two teams are going to play. Right now, I'd say a repeat of last year's matchup between the Blue Bombers and Argonauts is not out of the question but the Lions, the Allouettes, and the Hamilton home team, the Tiger-Cats are also lurking behind. So who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2023, 01:00 PM

7,601 posts, read 6,103,045 times
This Cat would LOVE that. I still have a $400 credit on Delta, can get to Buffalo at least and walk the rest of the way

Not sure how that works into November scheduling here, but that would be so much fun to spend the weekend in Cool Canada enjoying the Grey Cup

Old 10-20-2023, 06:54 PM

3,746 posts, read 2,579,065 times
I'm always rooting for non-NFL pro leagues. So hopefully they have a good match-up & TV ratings..

Old 10-31-2023, 06:35 PM

Less than 3 weeks to go before the big game. Playoffs begin this Saturday. Argos and Bombers have a bye this week while everyone else squares off. I say Montreal and B.C. survive this weekend.

Old 10-31-2023, 07:12 PM

3,631 posts, read 3,424,474 times
I'll be watching on TV, likely with a buddy. We tend to watch important games (Super Bowl, Grey Cup) at the local race book, because he likes to bet a few horses during halftime. Well, I'll be honest; I do too.

If I had to guess, I'd say the Argos are very likely to be there, and the Bombers have a good chance. But I agree; at this point it's anybody's game. All it takes is for a team, even a favourite, to have one bad day.

Old 11-06-2023, 06:22 PM

Inching forward. Alouettes at Argos and Lions at Bombers this upcoming Saturday. We'll then find out who gets to play in the big game.

On another point, I am a bit surprised that the league hasn't hyped the Grey Cup festival (i.e. the performances, halftime show, etc.) that much. In the States, everything about the Super Bowl is repeatedly marketed over and over again in the weeks prior to the game. In the case of the CFL, when live streaming, we Americans don't get to watch TSN's commercials, just the few that pertain to the CFL itself. A Canadian would have to tell if TSN is hyping the festival and halftime show as well. Maybe the broadcasting is deliberately done only to Canadian viewers .

Old 11-06-2023, 07:26 PM

93,664 posts, read 124,403,512 times
^When the games were on CBC back in the day, you would get all of the commercials and hype. Given that we don’t get TSN or people may get games due to special arrangements, it is hard to get the full effect.

Old 11-06-2023, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
On another point, I am a bit surprised that the league hasn't hyped the Grey Cup festival (i.e. the performances, halftime show, etc.) that much. In the States, everything about the Super Bowl is repeatedly marketed over and over again in the weeks prior to the game. In the case of the CFL, when live streaming, we Americans don't get to watch TSN's commercials, just the few that pertain to the CFL itself. A Canadian would have to tell if TSN is hyping the festival and halftime show as well. Maybe the broadcasting is deliberately done only to Canadian viewers .
Oh, TSN is knocking itself out with hyping the Grey Cup game and the halftime show; which I know, after being repeatedly told so, will be by Green Day. So is the CTV network (TSN's parent). So if you're watching a TSN broadcast of any sport*, or a CTV show, even the evening news, you're going to see Grey Cup and Green Day at halftime promos.

* Ironically, I was watching Monday Night Football tonight, which I get on TSN. It lays its own commercials over the American ones from ESPN (?). Yep, even in a contest between the LA Chargers and the NY Jets, there were plenty of Grey Cup commercials, thanks to the Canadian overlays.

Old 11-06-2023, 11:52 PM

Oh! Just remembered a fun Grey Cup piece of trivia, and a subsequent tradition.

In 1948, Calgary was in the Grey Cup game, which was in Toronto. And the Calgary Stampeders, and their fans who had travelled to Toronto, were determined to let the people of "Toronto the Good," as it was often derisively called, know that they had fun-loving, and not necessarily good in the Toronto sense, westerners in their midst.

Among other things, the Calgarians brought horses. Sensible, as there is always a parade a day before the game, and horses are a part of any parade; and more specifically, a part of Alberta's heritage and tradition. But some Calgarians weren't content with just riding their horses in the parade.

Nope, they rode them into the lobby of the Royal York Hotel--probably Toronto's classiest hotel, which has welcomed British royalty, American presidents, any number of world leaders, rock stars, movie stars, and assorted other celebrities. Yeah, it's that kind of place. I've been in it, many times, and while the lobby is huge and can accommodate any number of horses, it's not necessarily the place where you want to find a horse.

Well, the hotel finally got the horses and cowboys out. But a tradition started.

Ever since then, if the Grey Cup is played in Toronto, and the Calgary Stampeders are playing, then a Calgary cowboy will ride a horse into the lobby of the Royal York. Arrangements are made with the hotel ahead of time, and it's all harmless and safe fun. But it's a tradition now. Last time it happened, a few years ago, the head chef at the hotel prepared a dish of treats for the horse--carrots, apples, and other things horses like, and which the horse reportedly enjoyed immensely. I believe that the cowboy got a beer, which he enjoyed too. But the important thing is, that the tradition was maintained.

Old 11-07-2023, 12:11 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,354,277 times
B.C. is Grey Cup bound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1tLwi2bnQc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football