Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 07:53 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times

Advertisements

HERE are the CFL ALL-STARS

Saturday
Allouttes vs ARGONAUTS

Canadian Lions vs BLUE BOMBERS

I am planning to watch the GREY Cup but cannot attend in person

I think I have watched Canadian Football games by the numbers and minutes watched more than the NFL this year.

GOOD NEWS Tampa has Porter and Lynx airlines now, which means inexpensive flights Round trip to both Toronto and Montreal non stop from Tampa And it works out to about $420 USD with luggage for two people round trip

What that means is that next year, WE WILL make a trip to Canada to see either the Argonauts, Allouettes or Tiger Kitties in Person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2023, 12:39 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
I like your selections for this Saturday, LKC. They're mine too.

As for Porter, if they fly from Tampa to Toronto, they will likely fly into Billy Bishop Airport, which is otherwise known as Toronto Island Airport. It's not far from BMO Field, where the Argos play, and within an inexpensive cab ride to numerous hotels, that are themselves within an inexpensive cab ride from BMO Field.

If you plan such a trip next year, let me know. Toronto is my hometown, and I might be able to let you know about what to do and see in the city when you're not at BMO Field.

Old 11-11-2023, 06:17 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Ughh that was an ugly loss just now. The Alouettes and especially the Alouettes defens(c)e showed up to play, the Argonauts showed up to make fools of themselves in front of their own fans. Now the defending champs that went 16-2 in the regular season is out of Grey Cup contention with a whimper. The Argos probably shouldn't have chased that 16-2 record. It might have tired them out. Another contributing factor may be playing so well consistently then they took a break with last week's bye and came out cold and lethargic. Kelly was definitely not playing his best. Congrats to the Alouettes. If the defense can hold up like they did today, they have a chance to win it all. I don't think Fajardo is the most accurate quarterback, I mean several of his long throws were wide misses, but if the Larks play like a high caliber team, they might be able to challenge any opponent. The Lions and Blue Bombers are no pushovers though. Speaking of the Lions and Blue Bombers, let me go back to streaming their game which is going on right now.

Old 11-11-2023, 07:46 PM

Okay, the teams to play in the 110th Grey Cup are set. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers will take on the Montreal Alouettes. I am considering rooting for the Alouettes since they seem to be an upstart team this year besides the fact that they haven't won in over a decade whereas the Bombers won only two seasons ago. This is going to be an exciting matchup.

Old 11-11-2023, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Ughh that was an ugly loss just now. The Alouettes and especially the Alouettes defens(c)e showed up to play, the Argonauts showed up to make fools of themselves in front of their own fans. ...
Yeah. As I wrote to a friend earlier today:

"The Argos played as if it was a foregone conclusion that they’d win. Until that interception early in the first quarter, that Montreal ran back for a TD, when the Argos realized 'Holy crud, Montreal means business.' And Toronto just couldn’t manage playing an opponent who really, really, really, wanted to win this game."

Oh well. I'll be watching the game next week anyway. A friend has talked about booking a table at a local sports bar for our circle of friends (the Usual Suspects? The Beer 'n' BS Boys? The Scum of the Earth? Not sure what we're calling ourselves this week). The sports bar says there will be a Grey Cup party, so there will likely be door prizes, a squares game, and so on. Should be a good time, no matter who is playing.

Old 11-13-2023, 09:58 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
I liked watching the CFL games on American TV. Can't find them anymore.

Old 11-14-2023, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I liked watching the CFL games on American TV. Can't find them anymore.

Yeah, now we Americans have to have access to a good computer and stream CFL games including the Grey Cup through the online live stream channel CFL+. We don't even get to watch the actual TSN commercials, which get blanked out with a static screen and cheesy elevator music when they air; we just get to see a handful of CFL specific commercials. Oh well, at least the live streaming is free. A select number of games are aired only on CBSSports, which I do not have because it is a premium channel that costs more. Fortunately the Grey Cup is not one of them or otherwise I'd really be crying foul.

Old 11-14-2023, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Yeah, now we Americans have to have access to a good computer and stream CFL games including the Grey Cup through the online live stream channel CFL+. We don't even get to watch the actual TSN commercials, which get blanked out with a static screen and cheesy elevator music when they air; we just get to see a handful of CFL specific commercials.
Well, you won't be missing anything. Unlike the Super Bowl, most companies don't produce any special commercials for the Grey Cup. We'll get the same commercials we've had all season, many of which also played during the MLB season. Plus plenty of promos for upcoming TSN broadcasts.

If we get anything special, never-before-seen, in terms of commercials during the Grey Cup, I'm going to be very surprised.

Old 11-19-2023, 04:33 PM

Well, so far, we've had yesterday's pre-pre-game show, today's five-hour pre-game show, a musical act brought to you by SiriusXM ("Proud supporter of Canadian music"), the "Welcome to the traditional lands of the [insert tribal names here]" part, the entry of the Grey Cup itself into the stadium, brought in by the Mounties no less, a flypast by the RCAF, the introduction of the teams, and the introduction of the officials. We have yet to get to the National Anthem and the coin flip, which should be soon; as I can't think of anything else that they need to squeeze in.

Oh wait. The introduction of the official game ball, and introductions of the Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario, the Mayor of Hamilton, the Minister of Sport, and the Governor-General of Canada.

Phew! At this point, I just wanna see some football!

Old 11-19-2023, 07:50 PM

5,109 posts, read 2,050,817 times
Congrats to the Montreal Alouettes for the 2023 Grey Cup.
https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/montreal-alou...-cup-1.2038100

Quote:
The Montreal Alouettes rallied to beat the Winnipeg Blue Bombers 28-24 to win the 110th Grey Cup in Hamilton on Sunday evening.

Cody Fajardo found Tyson Philpot for a 19-yard touchdown with 11 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter to seal the victory for the Alouettes.

Fajardo threw for 290 yards with three touchdowns and one interception, while receiver Austin Mack added 103 receiving yards and a touchdown.

Running back Brady Oliveira led the way offensively for the Blue Bombers with 119 yards and a touchdown while pivot Zach Collaros threw for 225 yards with an interceptions in the loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football