Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2017, 12:14 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,404,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post

And Sky, I prolly wouldn't gripe either and also be defensive if my team had won but could you address the no holding calls thingy?
A blown call is a blown call and they went both ways. Who's to say on one of the holds on Adams he couldn't have scored a TD if he wasn't held?

Honestly watching this play at full speed I don't see any hold. You can freeze frame every play in a game and probably find something that would qualify as a penalty.

On top of that,
At least in every video I've seen, the player that was supposedly held doesn't react at all. Nowadays players are throwing their hands up and freaking out at the slightest infraction. Again maybe I missed it but he seems to go on like there wasn't any penalty.
Maybe all the cheese I ate during the game gave me selective memory but I don't remember anyone bringing it up during the actual game. If this was such a blown call I'm sure the pro-Cowboy commentators would have been freaking out.

The big thing for me is this "hold" didn't happen any where near Rodgers at the time so it really didn't effect the play one way or another. I get it a penalty is a penalty, but If this was a blown PI call like the Seahawks/Falcons game earlier in the season I could understand being pissed, but this is just reaching for an excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 03:46 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,182,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
A blown call is a blown call and they went both ways. Who's to say on one of the holds on Adams he couldn't have scored a TD if he wasn't held?

Honestly watching this play at full speed I don't see any hold. You can freeze frame every play in a game and probably find something that would qualify as a penalty.

On top of that,
At least in every video I've seen, the player that was supposedly held doesn't react at all. Nowadays players are throwing their hands up and freaking out at the slightest infraction. Again maybe I missed it but he seems to go on like there wasn't any penalty.
Maybe all the cheese I ate during the game gave me selective memory but I don't remember anyone bringing it up during the actual game. If this was such a blown call I'm sure the pro-Cowboy commentators would have been freaking out.

The big thing for me is this "hold" didn't happen any where near Rodgers at the time so it really didn't effect the play one way or another. I get it a penalty is a penalty, but If this was a blown PI call like the Seahawks/Falcons game earlier in the season I could understand being pissed, but this is just reaching for an excuse.
I agree the whining about penalty calls by losing teams fan bases is ANNOYING. However your logic of a penalty is not a penalty if its not near the play seems silly. How do you know that player wouldnt have been more involved if he wasn't penalized.

Problem in the NFL is ..its TOO INCONSISTENT. One minute a ticky tack foul is a penalty, then next, a blatant hold is not. But lets get off the slanted field , conspiracy theory stuff. Every team thinks that when they lose.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:27 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,891,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I agree the whining about penalty calls by losing teams fan bases is ANNOYING. However your logic of a penalty is not a penalty if its not near the play seems silly. How do you know that player wouldnt have been more involved if he wasn't penalized.

Problem in the NFL is ..its TOO INCONSISTENT. One minute a ticky tack foul is a penalty, then next, a blatant hold is not. But lets get off the slanted field , conspiracy theory stuff. Every team thinks that when they lose.
this i agree with. the referees in any sport are way to inconsistent. although being an umpire in baseball is simple enough that consistency is easily attainable, though strike zones tend to be an issue from time to time.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:52 PM

20,524 posts, read 33,593,484 times
That's my problem. I'm not blaming the game on officiating at all. I am just asking for consistency. Yes, Adams was held and it should have been called. That PI on Witten should have been called as well.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post

On top of that,

That definitely isn't true.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:32 PM

71 posts, read 61,175 times
^That game pissed me off. The holding GreenBay was allowed to do so Rodgers wouldn't get hurt. Packers center and right guard were doing it 1-2 times per drive, it was comical.

Horrible Sh*& year for the NFL as a whole with poor quality games. Dallas Cowboys were the best thing to happen to football this year.

Packers are done this weekend. Hope the score is 70-7.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:05 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,672,179 times
Holding, albeit aggravating as hell..never bothers me long term.. it gets called 3 or 4 times EVERY game.. so i get it..
What bothered me more than anything was the unsportsmanlike huddle call. That NEVER gets called, never in the 40 years of watching.. its like they just made up a call in the middle of the game. Not Green Bays fault by the way, just absolute HORRIBLE officiating... hopefully these guys (officials) are done for the year.. Outside of that call, i saw a lot of grabbing by both teams, some got called, some didn't.. i am ok with that!

I Have no axe to grind against the Pack, they played great.. jumped out to a big lead and the Cowboys simply fell short.. yea the Refs were HORRIBLE.. but i am sure the Pack fans are thinking the same thing..

Old 01-21-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Holding, albeit aggravating as hell..never bothers me long term.. it gets called 3 or 4 times EVERY game.. so i get it..
What bothered me more than anything was the unsportsmanlike huddle call. That NEVER gets called, never in the 40 years of watching.. its like they just made up a call in the middle of the game. Not Green Bays fault by the way, just absolute HORRIBLE officiating... hopefully these guys (officials) are done for the year.. Outside of that call, i saw a lot of grabbing by both teams, some got called, some didn't.. i am ok with that!

I Have no axe to grind against the Pack, they played great.. jumped out to a big lead and the Cowboys simply fell short.. yea the Refs were HORRIBLE.. but i am sure the Pack fans are thinking the same thing..
yeah I don't blame the packers at all. the officiating is just a horribly inconsistent abortion the past few years. Again, they missed a few calls that should have been on us as well. I think Adams was held twice. But my beef is the inconsistency of officiating. You are staring right at the LOS if you are the umpire and you didn't see this?

Old 01-21-2017, 02:08 PM

14,333 posts, read 14,643,316 times
I'm with you even as a Pack fan. The inconsistency of the calls is enough to drive any fan crazy. It is especially bad when a game is close, a great deal on the line. During the season, I'm pretty much don't worry about it because it seems to go both ways. However, when it gets to the playoffs aren't these supposed to be the best teams of refs???

Holding on a WR has to be an arm right? I was laughing about Tae Adams as 3 or 4 times he had to have help getting his jersey back over his shoulder pads, good thing it wasn't a breakaway, he would have been shirtless!!!

On another blog I read, Giants fans were having a fit about the Hail Mary and a "major" push off by Cobb. On those plays it has to be very obvious and most times not called. I told one guy to take a chill pill because the way the Giants were playing wasn't going to matter in the end result. I didn't make a friend there.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:40 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,182,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I'm with you even as a Pack fan. The inconsistency of the calls is enough to drive any fan crazy. It is especially bad when a game is close, a great deal on the line. During the season, I'm pretty much don't worry about it because it seems to go both ways. However, when it gets to the playoffs aren't these supposed to be the best teams of refs???

Holding on a WR has to be an arm right? I was laughing about Tae Adams as 3 or 4 times he had to have help getting his jersey back over his shoulder pads, good thing it wasn't a breakaway, he would have been shirtless!!!

On another blog I read, Giants fans were having a fit about the Hail Mary and a "major" push off by Cobb. On those plays it has to be very obvious and most times not called. I told one guy to take a chill pill because the way the Giants were playing wasn't going to matter in the end result. I didn't make a friend there.
Definitely p I by Cobb. But you wont get that call

Last edited by jp03; 01-21-2017 at 02:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football