Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2016, 09:42 PM

5,718 posts, read 6,471,232 times

Advertisements

This team is not making playoffs this year. I'm not saying we should bottom out, but I don't think we should make compromises and sacrifices to win. Let's play some experimental football. Let's test these guys out. No sacred cows, anyone can be cut after the season, let's see who steps up and who doesn't.

It's just obviously not going to happen this year. We had to win one of those first two games and preferably both for any shot at playoffs. So let's have fun, do some crazy revolutionary stuff, and see what works and make a serious push for playoffs next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 07:13 AM

6,462 posts, read 5,030,058 times
Tyrod does not look to be a franchise guy at this stage of the season. We were wise to give him a short term deal. He is not good in the pocket, his throws are not accurate and he is too quick to bail. Our all-pro cornerback tandem was shredded all night and they are supposed to be the strength of our defense. We made Fitz look like Dan Marino in his prime. For a coach who is supposed to be one of the greatest DCs of all time, our defense did not look very good. Gailey is a OC genius, maybe we should have kept him and gotten a good DC. It looks like Sammy is done for the season, there is no point in putting him in there and risking further injury just to save the Coach and GMs job. He is a shadow of his explosive self. It has taken others longer to recover from the same injury and if he keeps going he may break it again. Looks like no playoffs for the 17th consecutive season. Next 2 games are with Arizona and the Patriots. I am very discouraged.

At 0-2, Bills already find themselves in daunting spot - BN Blitz

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/r...he-jets-091516

Last edited by Thundarr457; 09-16-2016 at 07:44 AM..

Old 09-16-2016, 08:38 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,652,005 times
I agree with you guys. 8-8 would actually be somewhat suprising and something to hang our hat on at this point. Let alone playoffs. IMO, we got to find out what we have in Tyrod. We need to tell him to turn it loose. Even if he puts up Luck type numbers, sub 60% completion percentage and 1.5 picks to every 2 TDs, we need to know what we have in the guy. Let him air it out and see if he can make throws. If we lose, we lose. But at least we tried. The running game these first two weeks has not helped out passing game at all. Too many 1 yard gains or even 1 or 2 yard losses on 1st down. We should switch to passing to set up the run.

As for Sammy, I'd probably rest him at this point too. I guess the other option is play him for the next two, once we are 0-4 or 1-3 and basically out of it, then we can shut him down. At this point, whether we shut him down now, or he breaks his foot in the next two weeks, it won't really matter, he'd have plenty of time to get ready for 2017 either way.

Defense went from encouraging against Baltimore basically shutting Flacco down except for one long ball against our weakest link in the secondary, to being absolutely humilitated against the Jets. From watching the Jets these first two games, I do think their defense has taken one step back from last year, but that their offense has taken two step forward this year. Forte and #81 are tremendous additions to their offense. But I don't care if you are playing the greatest show on turf or 2007 Patriots, you can't give up 500 yards off offense and 37 points.

The first half was particularly frustrating watching the defense beacuse it felt like they were playing well enough on downs one and two, only to give up every single 3rd down.

I'm not sure what we will do about the QB situation going into 2017. It seems unlikely, unless Tyrod turns it around even more, that we will excersice the $17million team option. Then again, it's not my money and I guess it depends on who else we want to sign or extend. Doesn't really seem like Gilmore will be a huge priority after last night. Maybe we can get Gilmore on a cheap deal now.

Everyone likes to say get a QB in the draft, but that's easier said than done. We seldom bottom out enough to get a real franchise changer at the position. People say tank, but that just doesn't happen unless you lose your starting QB. I don't doubt that we could finish 4-12 heck maybe even 3-13 even with Tyrod. But there are going to be some BAAAAD teams this year. Think the Browns will win more than one game? Will the 49ers win more than 2? Same thing with the Bears. We can draft the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th QB off the board and roll the dice with him and hope we don't roll a Tannheill, EJ Manuel, Blaine Gabbert etc.

Other option is to trade the farm to move up like we saw the Rams and Eagles do. BUT, we don't even know if either of those moves will workout. And on top of that, I don't see teams like the Bears, Browns or 49ers moving out of a top 3 spot if a a good QB is there.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:22 AM

I feel badly for Rex because the rest of the league has caught onto his defensive schemes and seem to have an answer for them. Even with Rob here it doesn't seem to make any difference. When you compare him to Belichick, LeBeau, Wade Phillips, Marvin Lewis, Monte Kiffin and Tom Landry to name a few, he doesn't seem to be able to vary his defensive schemes. I think Jim Schwartz was a better DC and our team took a huge step backwards when he was fired. If we had kept him and hired a good offensive minded HC we wouldn't be in the sorry state we are in. If Tyrod gets injured then we have EJ who the GM insists on keeping. We would have been better off with a vet who could at least help Tyrod. We would be better off with a rookie with some upside like the Cowboys have, at least we would have some hope. If Tyrod isn't retained then we have nothing except Cardale Jones who someday may be good. As I have repeatedly said, we need a good football mind to redo everything.

Last edited by Thundarr457; 09-16-2016 at 10:41 AM..

Old 09-16-2016, 01:16 PM

Unbelievably garbage move by Rex or Whaley to fire Roman after two games. 500 yards and 37 points given up by the defense. How many third down conversions?

Old 09-16-2016, 02:00 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,422,644 times
Rex did say, "If we don't win, I'll be the first one to go."

Old 09-16-2016, 06:12 PM

What a disgrace throwing Roman under the bus. It wasn't his fault and now Rex has his "ground and pound" guy in place. Roman was a respected coordinator with a proven track record.

When the defense fails, fire the offensive coordinator - Bucky & Sully

Thursday game doesn't do Sammy any favors - Bucky & Sully

Bills follow historically anemic offensive display with historically meek defensive effort - BN Blitz

Ryan pushes 'everything into the middle of the table' by firing Roman - BN Blitz

Old 09-17-2016, 08:52 AM

Great article

The Buffalo Bills are an organization adrift, yet again - Buffalo Rumblings

Old 09-17-2016, 09:24 AM

The offense better look different against the Cardinals. Don't even really care if Taylor throws more picks or whatever. But if we make a move like this two weeks into the season, then we better see what Rex is telling us, that the offense will look different. I have a feeling it will pretty much look the same.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:43 AM

Why what

I agree with this 100% its a repeat of the Sabres debacle. Fire the entire front office and start fresh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football