Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 01:42 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Yeah and how often does that happen. There is a reason you remember that game because that was arguably the greatest comeback in NFL history meaning it's a rare event.
Moot point. What started out as a blowout didn't end that way. The Cardinals made a play in overtime, missed call or not. The contact with the facemask didn't knock the ball out of Rodgers' hands.

One more time, I'm a Green Bay Packers fan, though I watched that Oilers game on TV and remember it like it happened last month or something. The Cardinals won, and they're playing on. The Pack lost, and they went home. Plain as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 01:47 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,080,405 times
Quote:
Then you are not a real Cardinals fans because a real Cardinals fan knows the team has sold out every game and no game was blacked out since they have been at the University of Phoenix stadium. Everyone said the problem was the stadium and thus far that has proven to be the case. Furthermore, there were people like you claiming there wouldn't be enough Cardinals fans at last Sunday's playoff game because of the Packer attendance at the previous Sunday game. I was at the game on Sunday, and there was maybe 20% Packers fans at the most. The entire stadium was red. The fans represented and it was a big reason we won. The fans here do care about the Cardinals unfortunately we have some clueless residents like yourself who haven't got that yet. Also, I question your credibility because there has never been a time when football was not shown on television during the day. CBS plays the AFC games and Fox shows the NFC games. There has been at least one AFC and one NFC game shown during the day for at least the last 12 years since I've lived here so I really don't think you know what you are talking about.
Nope, not a Cards fan yet....but I'm tryin'. (They're my second favorite team)

Moved here in October 2004. About the second week that I was here there was no football on. Must've been hallucinating, eh?

That was the rodeo rerun I saw that day.....honest!

Just to tick you off, I'll give ya my prediction:

Saints.....31

Cardinals....20

Old 01-14-2010, 01:50 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Moot point. What started out as a blowout didn't end that way. The Cardinals made a play in overtime, missed call or not. The contact with the facemask didn't knock the ball out of Rodgers' hands.

One more time, I'm a Green Bay Packers fan, though I watched that Oilers game on TV and remember it like it happened last month or something. The Cardinals won, and they're playing on. The Pack lost, and they went home. Plain as that.
The moot point was you bringing up an extremely rare event and acting like the chances of a comeback like that occurring was high. I could provide many more examples of games in which teams were up by a lot of points and they ended up crushing their opponent in the end.

I have nothing against the Packers. They played a great game and I thought they were going to win at the end when they won the coin toss. I have respect for their fans. But if someone is going to say the Cardinals got lucky, I can surely point out events in that game that proves the Packers got lucky too. It goes both ways. You can say the Cards got lucky when Rogers didn't connect on that pass but I can say the Pack got lucky that Fitzgerald fumbled the ball and we didn't go up 24-0.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Nope, not a Cards fan yet.
You really didn't need to say anything else. Now your response makes sense.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:04 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
Quote:
The moot point was you bringing up an extremely rare event and acting like the chances of a comeback like that occurring was high. I could provide many more examples of games in which teams were up by a lot of points and they ended up crushing their opponent in the end.
Right. But since we're talking about the Pack and Cards from this year, nobody really "crushed" anyone in the end. Nobody "crushes" a team in overtime. If we're straight on that, then everything's cool.

Quote:
You really didn't need to say anything else. Now your response makes sense.
I think that's one of the ones who will hop on the bandwagon just before it's pulled out of the station.

If you were in Arizona and rooting for the Cardinals before it was hip, I've got the utmost respect for you.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Right. But since we're talking about the Pack and Cards from this year, nobody really "crushed" anyone in the end. Nobody "crushes" a team in overtime. If we're straight on that, then everything's cool.
And Rogers didn't connect on that pass either so no fan should claim the other either team got lucky. It was a hard fought game. I have much admiration for the Packers. And to be honest, I think the Packers were playing the best in the NFC at the start of the playoffs. A lot of Cardinals fans were saying that if we can beat the Packers, we can beat anyone else because they were the best team in the NFC at the time. We will see if that's true; New Orleans is a great team.

Quote:
I think that's one of the ones who will hop on the bandwagon just before it's pulled out of the station.

If you were in Arizona and rooting for the Cardinals before it was hip, I've got the utmost respect for you.
Unfortunately, Phoenix population is transient meaning most of our population moves here from some place else and grew up following another team. Some of those fans became genuine Cardinals fans, attend games and know enough about the team. The rest of those fans know nothing about the Cardinals and only repeat what they heard about the Cardinals in the past. So when Yaz made his comment about the rodeo being played in replacement of a game, I was aware he knew nothing about the Cardinals because they have sold out every game since 2006 thus none of their games would have been blacked out in the last 4 seasons.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:27 PM
YAZ

Quote:
And Rogers didn't connect on that pass either so no fan should claim the other either team got lucky. It was a hard fought game. I have much admiration for the Packers. And to be honest, I think the Packers were playing the best in the NFC at the start of the playoffs. A lot of Cardinals fans were saying that if we can beat the Packers, we can beat anyone else because they were the best team in the NFC at the time. We will see if that's true; New Orleans is a great team.

Unfortunately, Phoenix population is transient meaning most of our population moves here from some place else and grew up following another team. Some of those fans became genuine Cardinals fans, attend games and know enough about the team. The rest of those fans know nothing about the Cardinals and only repeat what they heard about the Cardinals in the past. So when Yaz made his comment about the rodeo being played in replacement of a game, I was aware he knew nothing about the Cardinals because they have sold out every game since 2006 thus none of their games would have been blacked out in the last 4 seasons.
So rooting for the Cards the last 4 seasons makes ya a true blue fan?

Trust me, my friend.

I'm well aware of the history of the Cardinals and have watched 'em play for many seasons. They've been as futile as the Lions until relatively recently.

I will continue to watch the Cardinals as it will be the only game on TV during that time slot. Please remember that I'm not bashing the Cards at all, they are an exciting team to watch. I'm bashing the local TV affiliates that refuse to air even a rival divisional game when the Cards don't sell out, let alone the "game of the week."

I'm changing my prediction to get yer goat even more.....

Saints 45

Cards 10

Old 01-14-2010, 05:22 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,940 times
Quote:

Trust me, my friend.

I'm well aware of the history of the Cardinals and have watched 'em play for many seasons. They've been as futile as the Lions until relatively recently.

I will continue to watch the Cardinals as it will be the only game on TV during that time slot. Please remember that I'm not bashing the Cards at all, they are an exciting team to watch. I'm bashing the local TV affiliates that refuse to air even a rival divisional game when the Cards don't sell out, let alone the "game of the week."

Saints 45

Cards 10

one Billlllliiiooonnn points for the Saints (DR Evil style)

and just 3 for the Cards

Actual Prediction: Cards 28

Staints 24

Then Cards go on to Beat Farve and company (I hope not) by 6 points

Next week I bet someone brings this up when I am COMPLETELY wrong and its NO and the Boys in the NFC championship.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Trust me, my friend.

Saints 45

Cards 10

You moved here in 2004 so how have you been watching them for many years? And if you had been watching them like you claim, how do you not know they have sold out all their home games for the last 4 years considering the games would be blacked out if they had not sold out? Hmm me thinks someone is lying. I watched them play at Sun Devil stadium on the aluminum bleachers on the away side. (wasn't lucky enough to sit on the shade side) so I have been watching much longer than you. Sun Devil stadium was the main reason the Cardinals were not competitive because the owners were not getting the revenue necessary from concessions and luxury suites etc that would enable them to spend money on the team. It's also a major reason why fans didn't attend the games because it was an outdoor stadium with aluminum bleachers with numbers painted on sections being "seats" I just thought I would educate you since you are in the process of becoming a Cardinals fan.

I'm still amused you are sticking to your "rodeo story" about how no football was displayed on a Sunday in October in 2004 considering that Fox and CBS have contracts with the NFL to show at least one game each Sunday unless of course another event took priority such as the World Series on Fox but that would affect every city not just Phoenix. But I'm sure these companies just made exceptions the day you happened to watch them on TV right.

You seem to think I care about your predictions considering you don't even watch football because if you did you would know that Cardinals games and not Rodeo shows have been on Sunday the last 4 years You moved here in 2004 and are not a Cardinals fan...oh sorry you are "trying to be" yet you have the audacity to argue that Phoenix residents don't care about the Cardinals? Really, is that why the NFC championship game sold out in 28 minutes last year with the overwhelming majority of attendees being Phoenix residents? It's nice to see that your statements are backed by fact!

Last edited by azriverfan.; 01-14-2010 at 09:07 PM..

Old 01-15-2010, 08:55 AM
YAZ

Riverfan,

I watched the Redskins, Philly, Dallas, and the New York football Giants open cans of Whoopass on the Cards for many years until the realignment.

As a Lions fan living in Michigan, about half of the their games were not shown on local TV (blessing in disguise, LOL). But we always got another game instead. Usually a NFC North/Central game and sometimes the "Game of the Week."

The Cards were the "late" game many times (when they moved to the NFC West), along with Denver, SF, et al.

Local TV affiliates pay to broadcast NFL games, in the hopes of recouping their costs and making a profit with advertising. They don't have a contract stating that they have to broadcast a game. Of course, they can't show the local team if the game is not sold out.

How many times THIS YEAR did the NFL grant an extension to the Cards to sell out a home game so it could be broadcasted locally? At least 3.....

I find that incredibly sad after their recent accomplishments. Add to that the stadium capacity of 60,000 souls.....

Anyway, the regular season is over now, so we'll have to pay close attention next year to see our local TV affiliates' programming on Sundays.

BTW, I got nuthin' against rodeo.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football