Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:38 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,674,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I pretty much agree with everything you said except that unlike Pacman and Little, Ray Lewis has taken full advantage of his second chance.

Personally I think that Vick deserves a second chance but I'm confident and glad that John Fox wont give him a job in Carolina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
This Vick story is exposing a lot of things about a lot of people. Chiefly, how we as a society value people and animals, and in a sick-f*** kind of way, how some people value an anonymous dog over an anonymous human being.

The NFL gave Adam Jones a second chance. Jones was involved in a shooting that paralyzed a patron at a stip joint.

The NFL gave Leonard Little a second chance after he killed someone while driving drunk.

The NFL gave Ray Lewis a second chance after Lewis played a role in the deaths of two people in Atlanta outside of a nightclub.

These examples aren't even the tip of the iceberg with respect to second chances given to players who have done and continue to do some pretty terrible things. And while newspapers were busy chronicling the lives of Vick's surviving dogs, neither they nor any of the other howling hypocrites could be bothered to give to sh*ts about the human victims of bad-acting athletes.

This obvious hypocrisy is precisely why Vick will get a second chance.
Here is your answer Toxictoaster....and the list goes on. Do your research.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:39 PM

8,807 posts, read 10,263,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Football consists of mostly thugs!
I hate when someone brings this crap up. Plenty of NFL players are good people, have families, do charity work, and live normal lives too. Unfortuantly, it takes someone like Vick to start up the "NFL'ers are thugs" claim.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:46 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,660,707 times
This thread is very, very interesting.

While I agree with some, I vehemently disagree with others, who knew

Regarding the employment issue though, if the NFL wants him, they can have him. They will also have to deal with people protesting, boycotting etc etc.

I am in a position currently that is regulated by the FAA. If I were to get a DUI, or be convicted of a drug charge or felony, I would lose my job and basically be banned from getting a job at another airport for life. And my job doesn't pay in a year what Vick makes in 1 game.

If you're given an opportunity to do what you love and make LOTS AND LOTS of money doing it, why would you screw up so bad that you have the potential to lose that. If you made a conscious decision to break the law you SHOULD lose any and all rights to go back to your 'former glory'.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:04 PM

666 posts, read 1,845,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Would you say that a commission salesman that sold enough product to receive a $10 million salary was overpaid?
Yes I would and I am in sales. You don't see this sort of commission because companies have policies in place to ensure that it doesn't happen. If not, that salary would be paid once and then compensation plans would change to ensure it never happens again. Welcome to corporate america.

Look at the revenue of the top NFL teams:

NFL Team Valuations sorted by Revenue ($mil) - Forbes.com

Take the #1 team's revenue at $327M. Take a player that earns $10M / year. Doing the math, he is being paid 3.1% of the team's revenue.

I work for a very large corporation. Our revenue for 2008 was about $103B. Our CEO pulled in around $20M last year. Thats 0.02%.

Oracle Corporation's revenue for 2008 was $22.4B. Their CEO and co-founder made $72M in 2008. Thats about 0.3%.

So yeah, athletes are overpaid if you want to compare it to most businesses.

Last edited by LeftCoastee; 05-21-2009 at 03:15 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 03:13 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,550,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcian View Post
NorthJersey.com: DiTrani: It's third and long for Vick (http://www.northjersey.com/sports/DiTrani_Its_third_and_long_for_Vick.html - broken link)
Only thing about that article is that it's about as speculative as all the other ten zillion articles. The reality is that if Vick can get back into football shape--physically and mentally--there's a job waiting for him somewhere.

Oakland is a possibility, not because that's where misfits and has-beens finish their careers, but because there are serious questions about JaMarcus Russell's ability to run the offense. He's got rocket arm, but he's in a system that's not yet settled. Vick could replace Marques Tuiasosopo, who's underqualified for even a 3rd string position.

Cincinnati is interesting. Vick would be a nice back-up to Palmer for a season or two. They could even work him into some of those "Wildcat" formations during the regular season.

Dallas seems like a good project, too. Again, Vick won't be a starter because Romo is a lock--for now. But if Jerry Jones saw that Vick had miraculously improved his game from a football IQ perspective, that might be attractive enough to create a scenario where Jones opened up the position for competition. Crazier things have happened.

First things first; Vick needs to complete his last 60 days of home confinement, probation, etc. And that's not a gimme.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:20 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,550,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
This thread is very, very interesting.

While I agree with some, I vehemently disagree with others, who knew

Regarding the employment issue though, if the NFL wants him, they can have him. They will also have to deal with people protesting, boycotting etc etc.

I am in a position currently that is regulated by the FAA. If I were to get a DUI, or be convicted of a drug charge or felony, I would lose my job and basically be banned from getting a job at another airport for life. And my job doesn't pay in a year what Vick makes in 1 game.

If you're given an opportunity to do what you love and make LOTS AND LOTS of money doing it, why would you screw up so bad that you have the potential to lose that. If you made a conscious decision to break the law you SHOULD lose any and all rights to go back to your 'former glory'.
But we're not talking about Mike Vick the air traffic controller, we're talking about Mike Vick, the entertainer.

We're not talking about Mike Vick the school teacher--or the cop, or the lawyer, or the doctor--we're talking about Mike Vick the entertainer.

Robert Downey, Jr. and Kiefer Sutherland and Drew Barrymore are all entertainers with drug, alcohol and other legal problems. And they all get their jobs back as soon as they get out of jail or rehab. Each time.

So the "I would lose my job if I did that" comparison just doesn't apply here.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:22 PM

24 posts, read 68,493 times
I agree with most here. The creep is a convicted felon. No NFL team will pick him up to ever play football again! He can fake all he wants about helping animals, nobody is gonna buy his sincerity. He was born corrupted in the mind and that cannot be cured. Anyone like him who gets a shot at making millions a year for chasing a ball and screws it up the way he did never deserves a second chance. He obviously thought he would not get caught....well he did. So now he can mop floors somewhere or pick up garbage on the back of a truck in his own hood! Michael Vick is not a man. Pick on someone your own size Michael! Not innocent animals who feel pain just like we do! Shame on you! That was such an attrosity what you did to those poor dogs.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:29 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,162,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
And those who drink and drive?????? Do they care about human life, which I would consider more important than an animals.
It's different.He went out and knowingly hurt or killed animals.A drunk driver doesn't think he will ever get into an accident and then he does which makes it unintentional,but stupid and inconsiderate.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:33 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,162,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Your a hypocrit. If you want to quote the bible try this one > Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!

Good kind hearted people learn to forgive. Like God did for everyone of us.
People forgive for mistakes,this was intentional.If he had done this to humans he would be on death row now.Is he sorry for what he did? Hell no, and he'll say whatever pre-written speech it takes to get back in the NFL.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:45 PM

8,988 posts, read 17,327,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Here is your answer Toxictoaster....and the list goes on. Do your research.
Ray Lewis, Leonard Little, and Adam Jones are three out of roughly 1700 players in the NFL. You find me a list of 997 more thugs, robbers, and rapists; and I will concede. Until then, your posts are nothing more than propaganda based on no shred of reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.