Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 03:34 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,466,155 times

Advertisements

After the first preseason game I'm slightly encouraged. If Bowe can pull his head out and keep concentration he could be the #1 wideout we need. The defense is still a work in progress but I saw some signs of hope there. Its going to be a long road back and I don't think this team will be anything special this season but at least there are signs they are on the right road and those haven't been there for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 03:36 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,006 times
I agree, there is some talent there. I wish the Chiefs would have more faith in Thigpen, I think he has the potential to be a pretty darn good QB.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:38 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
0Marvin0! Whazzup? Thanks for bringing up the Chiefs. On the sports forum we didn't have a team thread here last year. THIS IS THE THREAD NOW!

Here is Double H's prediction for KC this year-tied for 2nd in the AFC West.

I'm a Bronco fan since the days that Hank Stram used to pretty much bamboozle every Bronco coach for 15 seasons. AND I've been to a few games at Arrowhead, but not recently. I personally know lots of Chief fans in the KCKS and KCMO area. Tailgate parties in that parking lot are pretty spirited. And smell that KC masterpiece barbecue sauce all over the parking lot!. Yummo!

OK, here goes. KC's situation is similar to Denver regarding an upheaval. 20 year gm Carl Peterson-gone. Head coach Herman Edwards-gone. New quarterback in town-Matt Cassell.

I think most any AFC west fan realizes San Diego will breeze with another division crown.

O-line. Why Casey Wiegmann got his walking papers sort of baffled me. He went to the pro bowl with the Broncos last year. This part of the club is lacking, especially the right side. Brandon Albert DID have a good season for a rookie, though. And Brian Walters went to another pro bowl.

Backs: Looks like it's Larry Johnson again, he does have some years on him though. Plus he has not been happy with the franchise and if memory serves served a suspension last season for disciplinary reasons.

Receivers; Duane Bowe doesn't get the ink some of the other receivers get in the league, but this guy is GOOD and getting better. Sad to see Tony Gonzales go.

Quarterback: They're rolling the dice with Cassell, who DID play well for the Pats last year. Having a good O-line to keep him on his feet helped. I agree with Big Daryle, it's apparent to me that Thigpen is penciled in at #2 regardless of what happens in preseason.

DEFENSE: Another long time Chief coach was sent down the road, Gunther Cunningham. KC was at the bottom, along with Denver in total defense so there is a lot of work there to do, that's for sure. Their first 3 draft picks involved just that-defense. Tyson Jackson is the #1 pick and WILL help! The Chiefs were bad sack wise, Jackson will start right away I believe. LINEBACKERS:Picking up Vrabel from the Patriots will help. He's got miles on him, but he hustles. Same with Zack Thomas. DB's: A little better off. The 2 Brandons, Carr and Flowers, are good young players. Both were rookies last year, should improve.

Special Teams. Two words-Dustin Colquitt! The guy can kick!!

Prediction? I'll go with 6 and 10. The Chiefs fans sadly are in for another rebuilding year, but they support the club. They're a hard suffering lot. It's been 16 years since they have been in the AFC Championship.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-16-2009 at 07:16 PM..

Old 08-17-2009, 01:48 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
0Marvin0! Whazzup? Thanks for bringing up the Chiefs. On the sports forum we didn't have a team thread here last year. THIS IS THE THREAD NOW!

Here is Double H's prediction for KC this year-tied for 2nd in the AFC West.
I think that's an extremely generous prediction. Since I'm bored and it's a football topic, I'll address them line by line.

Quote:
OK, here goes. KC's situation is similar to Denver regarding an upheaval. 20 year gm Carl Peterson-gone. Head coach Herman Edwards-gone. New quarterback in town-Matt Cassell.
This is true, however Carl Peterson might have been the worst long term GM the league has ever seen, Herm Edwards was a pretty poor coach and Cassell, while having a good season, is still extremely unproven.

Peterson and Edwards left Kansas City pretty much devoid of legitimate NFL talent. It's going to take several years of prudent drafting and free agent moves to rebuild that team.

I think most any AFC west fan realizes San Diego will breeze with another division crown.

Quote:
O-line. Why Casey Wiegmann got his walking papers sort of baffled me. He went to the pro bowl with the Broncos last year. This part of the club is lacking, especially the right side. Brandon Albert DID have a good season for a rookie, though. And Brian Walters went to another pro bowl.
Albert and Waters are about the only things going for that line. Mike Goff is a real lunch pail guy, but he's getting up in years. Niswanger didn't impress me a whole lot last year, but he's young. McIntosh is pretty much garbage and shouldn't be starting on any NFL roster.

Quote:
Backs: Looks like it's Larry Johnson again, he does have some years on him though. Plus he has not been happy with the franchise and if memory serves served a suspension last season for disciplinary reasons.
Johnson is older, broken down and a cancer to boot. Behind him they have no starting caliber backs with the possible exception of Kolby Smith.

Quote:
Receivers; Duane Bowe doesn't get the ink some of the other receivers get in the league, but this guy is GOOD and getting better. Sad to see Tony Gonzales go.
Bowe has a serious case of the drops, so bad that Haley actually had his eyes checked. Beyond that they have a few viable veterans (Toomer and Engram) and a couple young projects (Darling and Bradley) but their tight ends are a mess.

Quote:
Quarterback: They're rolling the dice with Cassell, who DID play well for the Pats last year. Having a good O-line to keep him on his feet helped. I agree with Big Daryle, it's apparent to me that Thigpen is penciled in at #2 regardless of what happens in preseason.
I'm interested to see how Cassel does without Josh McDaniels holding his hand.

Quote:
DEFENSE: Another long time Chief coach was sent down the road, Gunther Cunningham. KC was at the bottom, along with Denver in total defense so there is a lot of work there to do, that's for sure. Their first 3 draft picks involved just that-defense. Tyson Jackson is the #1 pick and WILL help! The Chiefs were bad sack wise, Jackson will start right away I believe. LINEBACKERS:Picking up Vrabel from the Patriots will help. He's got miles on him, but he hustles. Same with Zack Thomas. DB's: A little better off. The 2 Brandons, Carr and Flowers, are good young players. Both were rookies last year, should improve.
I liked Tyson Jackson, but spending the #3 overall pick on a 5 tech defensive end was pure insanity. They could have traded back around 11-15 and still had a shot at getting him. I don't think Hali and Dorsey will transition well into the 3-4 and will probably get traded away.

Their backfield is in good shape though. Luckily that was the one area that Herm Edwards was good with.

Quote:
Prediction? I'll go with 6 and 10. The Chiefs fans sadly are in for another rebuilding year, but they support the club. They're a hard suffering lot. It's been 16 years since they have been in the AFC Championship.
Like I said, 6-10 is pretty optimistic. If they finish with that record, they should thank all major and minor deities. I'm thinking 4-12 is more likely.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:06 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Possible NFL's darkhorse this year?

Old 08-17-2009, 10:45 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
If I had to bet on that, I'd take the Rams.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:44 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,452,494 times
I never read anything into preseason games, just so many crazy results in which in the regular season just wouldn't happen,

however I do hope that the KC Chiefs can do good this year!

Old 08-18-2009, 09:06 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
ESPN had reported last night that free agent wide receiver Ashlie Lelie has signed a one year contract with Kansas City.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:17 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
If I had to bet on that, I'd take the Rams.

(hysterical laughter)

My friend, the St. Lousy Lambs will not win more than 4 games this year. Bulger has already jacked up his pinky (picking his nose while waiting for a snap, I guess), the secondary is garbage, the offense is horrible, and I think only Detroit has a worse defense.

As a St. Louisian, I'm thankful that half of these home games are blacked out so I can go watch my Denver Broncos, a real football organization.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:21 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post

I know you good folks will probably laugh, but I'm going to say Buffalo. Even with potential clubhouse cancer T.O. and having to play "home" games in Toronto this season, I think they are definitely on the rise. Trent Edwards and Fred Jackson could have mad seasons if given the right opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football