Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 08:10 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,602,632 times

Advertisements

Canon 24-105mm f/4 IS USM L Lens

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

Considered a staple lens for many professional Canon photographers, the Canon 24-105mm f/4 L lens is one Canon's most popular and well-built lenses. Encompassing the most popular range of focal length, it would be the one lens I would own if I had to choose just one. Being primarily a portrait photographer, its range is perfect for my needs, as I rarely need to zoom further than this lens allows. Sports photographers would, however, find this lens to be very limiting in its focal range as they tend to need to zoom far further than this lens can.

Having a maximum aperture of f/4, the lens is perhaps not best suited for indoor event or wedding photography unless paired with a flash or under substantial lighting. I personally have found it to work quite well in conjunction with Canon's 580exII hot shoe flash when indoors. Its focal range is ideal for landscape and portrait photography, and when shooting outdoors, it is unlikely that any additional lighting would be needed to catch a tack-sharp focus very quickly. Color and contrast is deep and beautiful with this lens.

Aside from capturing beautiful, tack-sharp images throughout a great general-purpose focal range, the lens itself is built very solidly. Zooming is smooth and easy, while still avoiding "lens creep" that might happen while pointing down. The weather sealing on this lens is incredible; while I haven't braved it with my own, I have heard from several other photographers that you can clean this lens under running water.

All together, if you work primarily within the focal range of this lens, it simply cannot be beat on a Canon camera. It produces beautifully rich, tack-sharp images consistently, and is well worth the MSRP of $1,249.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews