Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 11:54 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

Frigidaire 14.8 Cubic Foot Top Freezer Refrigerator (FFHT1515LW)

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

I purchased the Frigidaire 14.8 Cubic Foot Top Freezer Refrigerator (MSRP $529.00) nine months ago. I was constrained by size when choosing a refrigerator. The height was limited by a cabinet over the fridge space, and the width was limited by a cabinet on one side and a wall on the other. Of the refrigerators that met my height and width requirements, this one stood out for its visual appeal. While most refrigerators around 14-15 cubic feet have squared edges, this one has rounded edges, making it stand out a bit. The inside was a bit more stylish, as well, and since refrigerator was still on the lower end of the cost range, it seemed like a good option.

Rounded drawers and shelving on the inside gives this unit a roomier feel than some of the more boxy units. Still, while the space is adequate for my family of two, if you have a bigger family (4 or more people) and space for a larger refrigerator, you make want to consider purchasing a larger unit.

This product is convenient to use, primarily because of its clear plastic drawers and compartments. Because everything is visible, there is no needed to rifle through the drawers on hands and knees in order to find a particular item.

The refrigerator has a temperature control in the front, allowing for ease of use. While the freezer does not have its own temperature control, I have been very impressed with its performance. There has not been a single trace of frosty build-up in all the time I've owned it, yet it has done an excellent job of keeping the food frozen.

One of the best features of this refrigerator is its wheels, which make thorough cleanings of the area around it quite easy, even for those of us who are not heavy lifters.

My one truly awful experience with this unit happened just a couple months after I purchased it. There was a problem with our electricity while I was out of town for a long weekend. When I returned, my family slowly began to notice a bad smell. The refrigerator itself had not started to smell bad, and we had thrown away the spoiled food and cleaned the fridge, so we couldn't identify the source of the smell. After days of searching and testing various possibilities, we discovered that the source of the smell was the plastic residue collection plate under the fridge, which had caught some leaking liquid. We were relieved to identify the source of the problem, but found that there was no sensible way to clean out the residue. The plate was connected to the fridge in such a way that it could not be removed. Aside from that, it was quite difficult to reach. We ended up having to remove some cardboard backing off the back of the fridge, which begged the question, "Why is this cardboard backing meant to be a permanent part of this refrigerator?"

Other than the minor issue regarding the residue collection system, I have been very pleased with this unit. While similar in price to other comparable units, it has gentle edges and a roomier feel. It does an excellent job of keeping food cold and safe for eating without causing frost to develop on items in the freezer.

Jennifer Lunday

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews