Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 10:24 AM

9,430 posts, read 11,185,116 times

Advertisements

Suggestion: Store your ebike a safe distance from all buildings you don't want to watch burn down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2023, 10:35 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,691,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Suggestion: Store your ebike a safe distance from all buildings you don't want to watch burn down.
I put mine in my living room. Since pretty much every object with a battery or plugged in to any outlet has the same chance of spontaneous combustion.

I like to keep all my fire hazards in one area instead of spreading them out.

Old 11-17-2023, 11:30 AM

1,962 posts, read 929,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
One thing I forgot to add was you need to consider the size/type you purchase. Many of the nicer ones are not actually allowed on bike paths. It is because they can go WAY too fast for everyone's safety. Laws and if they actually enforce them vary greatly by location.

Our market is the 20in fat tire. We only plan to cycle/ride at parks where they are allowed, and we have one right across the street. We don't live near a big city, just a town with lovely parks and riverwalks.

Old 11-20-2023, 12:33 PM

61,825 posts, read 87,269,132 times
I don't have e-bike but I often ride one courtesy of the many local programs promoting the use of public transportation and also promoting healthy living/exercises.
E-bikes & e-scooters are everywhere to rent here, and many people ride their own. Never heard about any battery explosions or fires - such event surely would be a local news.

Old 11-20-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Most electric battery-related incidents stem from inappropriate usage/handling, factors like overcharging or short circuits while using incompatible charging docks that lead to overheating and, in some cases, explosions.
Generally, this happens very seldom, though.

EV batteries, in fact, are far less likely to catch fire than an internal combustion engine vehicle.
Globally, EV FireSafe found about 0.0012% of electric passenger vehicles caught fire from 2010 to 2023 compared with a 0.1% chance for internal combustion engine fires.
In other words - there's a 1 in 38,000 chance of EV battery fire vs 1 in 1,300 chance of gas- and diesel-powered passenger vehicles fire.

I charge my car in my garage every night for over a decade now, not concerned about fires or explosion.

Old 11-20-2023, 12:56 PM

If you are so concerned about EV fires, there are special Element E100 Fire Extinguishers for EV Owners

You can buy it here:
https://evannex.com/products/element...e-extinguisher

https://www.amazon.com/Element-E100-...df_B0BPX656PH/

Old 11-20-2023, 02:48 PM

497 posts, read 330,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Our market is the 20in fat tire. We only plan to cycle/ride at parks where they are allowed, and we have one right across the street. We don't live near a big city, just a town with lovely parks and riverwalks.
The bike I linked to in my earlier post has 20 tires that are 3 inches wide because I wanted something that could go on pavement and dirt.

Plus, the Velotric brand is UL listed, which is hard to find.

When riding the ebike for the first time, the one thing I had to be careful about was the pedal assist kicking in when I wasn't ready for it. But if you remember to cut it down to level 1 or 2 when you slow down, you won't get as much of a surge of power when it kicks in.

Old 11-21-2023, 07:11 AM

4,553 posts, read 2,702,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snackmaster View Post
The bike I linked to in my earlier post has 20 tires that are 3 inches wide because I wanted something that could go on pavement and dirt..
I routinely ride my actual bicycle with 32 mm tires on gravelly and sandy paths. 3" tires are just silly. The rolling resistance will wear you out.

Old 11-21-2023, 02:20 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,691,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I routinely ride my actual bicycle with 32 mm tires on gravelly and sandy paths. 3" tires are just silly. The rolling resistance will wear you out.
The rolling resistance doesn't matter with an eBike. You only have to exert energy if you want and only as much as you want.

Old 11-22-2023, 04:53 PM

9,430 posts, read 11,185,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I always rode my bikes on trails, in the woods, and on the street, starting when I was able to balance and pedal a bicycle. I did lots of jungle cruising, as we called it then, on my 10-speeeds and other skinny-tired bikes. Just do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews