Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 04:02 PM

525 posts, read 1,557,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Did she tell you she is overweight??
I'm hardly overweight so I'm not offended. I've thought about working at the local humane society but it's sort of far away like 40 minutes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 04:08 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,392,297 times
I didn't mean to offend. It was just a throwaway example of how change can improve mental state.

I think visiting a counsellor may help, as well as some basic social contacts. Why not join a group/club? What are your interests?

Old 10-17-2010, 04:13 PM

525 posts, read 1,557,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I didn't mean to offend. It was just a throwaway example of how change can improve mental state.

I think visiting a counsellor may help, as well as some basic social contacts. Why not join a group/club? What are your interests?
Animals, Drinking/local bar, Poker/Cards, Bonfires, Camping during the summer months, Scrapbooking, Photography

Old 10-17-2010, 04:19 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,834,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
Animals, Drinking/local bar, Poker/Cards, Bonfires, Camping during the summer months, Scrapbooking, Photography
Word to the wise...drinking should never be a hobby.

Alcohol is not your friend.

And given that you almost lost your life apparently recently because of it, I would think you would get that

You don't seem open to learning the lesson I spoke about

Old 10-17-2010, 04:25 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,698,072 times
Animals are good for your soul!! IMO.
Photography is a great hobbie!

Old 10-17-2010, 04:40 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,392,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
Join a photography club, or join an animal charity.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:45 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,864,060 times
I was in a similar position when I was younger. The best I can suggest for you is do everything you can to get a good job and make enough money you can get away from your parents and get out of the boondocks. You sound very depressed and I would think a large deal of that comes from your current living situation. Nothing says it has to stay that way though. Are you in college or some kind of training for a better career?

Even if it is 40 mins to drive to animal shelter maybe it would be worth the effort to go there to volunteer. It sounds like what you need is to meet other people and to feel like you have some purpose in life or something to do or look forward to. If its not that then find some other volunteer work or join some kind of hobby group or exercise class so you can be around others your own age and with similar interests. If nothing else it will get you away from your parents which I'm assuming may help a lot. I lived with my father after college because I couldn't find a job in my field and that was the most depressing time of my life.

As for the hearing problem I have faced the same thing. I am hearing impaired and find it difficult to carry on conversations even with hearing aids because I also have something called central auditory processing disorder so it makes it hard for me to keep up with spoken conversation. Do you have hearing aids?

Old 10-17-2010, 05:33 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,690,795 times
If you got "super drunk" and did something which could have cost you your life, it is understandable that some people don't want you around. I certainly wouldn't. I agree with the previous poster, drinking should not be a hobby. Make it one, and expect a lifetime of people shunning you. I think you'd do well to lay off of it for a while, give yourself a chance to develop better relationships without it.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:51 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,657,165 times
You really need to look into counseling / therapy. Sounds like you have a lot of deep-seeded issues that you need to get off your chest and it doesn't sound like you have a good support network to do this. Once you work out some of your deeper issues, and then work on your confidence, you will start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. While you are working on *you*, I'd avoid any drama, negative people or naysayers... they will only drag you down and / or keep you from progressing in therapy.

Good luck.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:12 AM

7,453 posts, read 13,443,047 times
Havn't read much in this thread. But just on the title.....someone who calls you weird and pyscho is not your friend.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology