Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 09:43 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,551,813 times

Advertisements

Alright guys, I'm definitely not another John1960 (sorry John!) but I found attached article very interesting and worth sharing with all of you.

Don't Worry: Happiness Levels Not Set in Stone - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20101004/sc_livescience/dontworryhappinesslevelsnotsetinstone - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 09:47 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,270,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Alright guys, I'm definitely not another John1960 (sorry John!) but I found attached article very interesting and worth sharing with all of you.

Don't Worry: Happiness Levels Not Set in Stone - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20101004/sc_livescience/dontworryhappinesslevelsnotsetinstone - broken link)
Yey, I just got some good news and now there's hope for happiness, too! The day started out great! Thanks.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:48 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,861,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Yey, I just got some good news and now there's hope for happiness, too! The day started out great! Thanks.

woo hoo - so glad for you!

Old 10-05-2010, 09:50 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,861,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post

"happiness isn't predetermined by genes or personality."

So what contributed to long-term happiness? The researchers found several correlations between life choices and life satisfaction:
  • Marry well
  • Focus on the family
  • Go to church.
  • Work, but not too much (or too little
  • Get social, and get moving
This isn't news to some of us!

Old 10-05-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
woo hoo - so glad for you!
I kind of got up motivated even before that. I had no other plans and took a week off intending to put my house in better order (I mean those pesky things behind closed doors, cabinets, and drawers) and add/upgrade a few things. It may not be the most exciting "vacation," but it'll make me quite happy if I do it. I agree with Feng Shui that clutter gets on your nerves even if it's not visible constantly. At least it gets on mine 'cause I KNOW it's there.

Even though I'm trying to migrate all my cluttered e-mail to the new machine I intend to buy, it could be a better idea not to... Same goes for the Favorites. Once my PC crashed to a point of losing the existing e-mail and I lived! I look at my e-mails as a diary and have this awful habit of referring to past pain... A good cleaning in this department may be beneficial and adding to happiness as well.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:00 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,551,813 times
I see the article as more of a reminder to all of us, and not necessarily news. I'm not a church goer but I have always known that my religious faith is what keeps me sane, happy, strong, and satisfied.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:32 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,016,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
"happiness isn't predetermined by genes or personality."

So what contributed to long-term happiness? The researchers found several correlations between life choices and life satisfaction:
  • Marry well
  • Focus on the family
  • Go to church.
  • Work, but not too much (or too little
  • Get social, and get moving
This isn't news to some of us!

#3 can be painful if the preacher is boring.......

Old 10-05-2010, 11:35 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,099,750 times
Thanks for the info.. Everyone should be happy

Old 10-05-2010, 11:37 AM

4,534 posts, read 8,355,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I kind of got up motivated even before that. I had no other plans and took a week off intending to put my house in better order (I mean those pesky things behind closed doors, cabinets, and drawers) and add/upgrade a few things. It may not be the most exciting "vacation," but it'll make me quite happy if I do it. I agree with Feng Shui that clutter gets on your nerves even if it's not visible constantly. At least it gets on mine 'cause I KNOW it's there.

Even though I'm trying to migrate all my cluttered e-mail to the new machine I intend to buy, it could be a better idea not to... Same goes for the Favorites. Once my PC crashed to a point of losing the existing e-mail and I lived! I look at my e-mails as a diary and have this awful habit of referring to past pain... A good cleaning in this department may be beneficial and adding to happiness as well.
Well then stop kidnapping all those strapping young guys and bringing them home with you.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Well then stop kidnapping all those strapping young guys and bringing them home with you.
Wish I were doing at least that! Unfortunately, I've no excuse other than laziness and wasting time online. Of course, part of the lack of motivation IS the lack of other excitement...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology