Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:17 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,745,980 times

Advertisements

I know people make jokes about how their parents, or older people in general, will remember things in a more positive light, or through rose-colored glasses, but is this some sort of universal human "thing" to do?

Will I end up doing it as I get older?

This is a huge "thing" with my mother (she is 70)...and not just in a manner that people would joke or tease about, but in a very serious way. She pretty much flat out refuses to acknowledge anything from the past that might paint her in a negative light or call any of her decisions into question.

I suspect (strongly) that she suffers from Narcissistic Personality Disorder so I wondered if this sounded like a thing most "older people" do or if it is just her. In any discussion, she revises history to fit her version of events and make herself look like the best wife, best mother, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 08:24 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
You naturally blot out the sinister periods of your life- The things that were mistakes or simply horrible behavior. Only recently I thought back to who I was 30 years ago and what my personal history was all about- not a pretty picture - but eventually you have to take full ownership of who you are - from the beginning of life to the end.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:48 AM

936 posts, read 2,061,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I know people make jokes about how their parents, or older people in general, will remember things in a more positive light, or through rose-colored glasses, but is this some sort of universal human "thing" to do?

This is a huge "thing" with my mother (she is 70)...and not just in a manner that people would joke or tease about, but in a very serious way. She pretty much flat out refuses to acknowledge anything from the past that might paint her in a negative light or call any of her decisions into question.

I suspect (strongly) that she suffers from Narcissistic Personality Disorder so I wondered if this sounded like a thing most "older people" do or if it is just her. In any discussion, she revises history to fit her version of events and make herself look like the best wife, best mother, etc.
Everyone does it to some extent. Partly it's a result of biases in memory (people tend to recall positive/pleasurable events longer than negative/painful ones over the long term; it's easier to recall events that are consistent with your own self-concept than things that aren't consistent with it), and partly it's a bias in what you're willing to see about yourself.

But based on what you wrote, it sounds like you're talking about something altogether different. It sounds like your mother isn't trying to recall events, and just happens to remember them differently. It sounds like you're saying that she's actively denying past events simply because she wants to revise history to make herself appear better than she was. That doesn't sound like a memory issue; that sounds like the two of you are having a relationship problem where you want her to acknowledge something from your past. Am I getting that right?

Old 08-02-2013, 07:17 AM

83 posts, read 149,347 times
Quote:

Yes ist is. And yes, you will

See it as a positive, it is part of human resilience.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:10 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
For most people, everyone wants to see themselves as the hero of their story. They may admit to mistakes or wrong-doing, but they'll be glossed over and justified.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:15 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,975,323 times
Quote:

A lot of people do that young, old it doesn't matter. Even young people don't have the guts to admit they were "dumped" by their exes.

We are expected to be perfect so admitting we were less than perfect brings feelings of shame to most people. So people revise their history and at some point it might become their reality.

I think it's better to admit our reality but it usually requires that we stop being so judgmental of ourselves. What we did 10 or 40 years ago really doesn't dictate how we will behave in the future.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:26 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,374,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
Everyone does it to some extent. Partly it's a result of biases in memory (people tend to recall positive/pleasurable events longer than negative/painful ones over the long term; it's easier to recall events that are consistent with your own self-concept than things that aren't consistent with it), and partly it's a bias in what you're willing to see about yourself.

But based on what you wrote, it sounds like you're talking about something altogether different. It sounds like your mother isn't trying to recall events, and just happens to remember them differently. It sounds like you're saying that she's actively denying past events simply because she wants to revise history to make herself appear better than she was. That doesn't sound like a memory issue; that sounds like the two of you are having a relationship problem where you want her to acknowledge something from your past. Am I getting that right?
This^ I most agree with.

Memory is a fluid process, things get modified over time, whether we realize it or not-
doesn't have to be a conscious process in any way, it just happens, biologically-
human memory isn't mechanical, it's organic & malleable.

That's a different behavior than actively disowning one's own unkind actions/past self (at younger age)
& shutting down anyone else's attempts to remind them of those not-so-flattering recollections.

It's too bad that the person in question can't/won't say:
"that was a really painful time, I feel awful about it now, and I'd rather not have to deal with those emotions all over again".
Whether one agrees or disagrees with that approach, at least it would be addressing the actual reality/history.

Last edited by cloven; 08-02-2013 at 11:34 AM..

Old 08-02-2013, 11:27 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
"Society" changes it's acceptance of human behavior; for example, in my particular situation, I made a mistake that led to my family trying to hide me from the community. That was 50 years ago, and nowadays, the same situation is not viewed as all that terrible. Society can be very cruel when it chooses to decide what is right and what is wrong; and I'm not referring to anything illegal; am referring to moral issues.

I no longer hang my head in shame - thankfully. However, until 'society' felt my error shouldn't lead to a girl being stoned, I did feel shame and whenever I met new friends, that part of my life was hidden away.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:44 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:

Some what. I have noticed it with my father too. Social Psychologists have a name for it "reconstruction of events".

People with NPD do it way more frequently that do average folks.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:10 PM

560 posts, read 1,130,690 times
the bad and shameful things i done are part of me and shaped how i have grown from them. i would never want to blot them out because i am not perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology