Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 10:01 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Hi Ivory!

Without performing a thorough lit search I can only say that "common knowledge" says that IQ does indeed drop with age. I've seen references to that in many places; of course, that doesn't necessarily make it correct.

Here's a link that references a study done several years ago. It seems they blame loss of perceptive abilities as a major cause of decreasing IQ. I know I read a bit about the decrease in scores due to aging, but that was almost 30 years ago when I was in school - as I've aged I've become less smart, so I've forgotten where the original info came from.

Does IQ Drop With Age, Or Does Something Else Impact Intelligence?
You and me both. I knew EVERYTHING when I was 18. I stunned by how much I don't know now, .

I too feel like my IQ has dropped. I think there's a reason they ask for your age when you take IQ tests on line. I think age matters. I think IQ does drop with age....at least changes with age... According to the tests I've taken (two during college as part of a psych class), mine went up during my college years but seems to have been, steadily, declining since then. Of course this is unscientific as it's based on on line tests. I haven't had an official one done since I was 10. However, since I've taken several similar type tests over the years and seen an initial increase followed by an decline, I'm thinking, for me anyway, it's valid to say more education increased my IQ and then it started declining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 10:11 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Marilyn vos Savant scored 228 when she was 10 years old, which equates to roughly 185 as an adult. Einstein was tested as 189. So was Ms. Savant "smarter" than Einstein when she was 10? I think she would say "no".

There are many problems with the standard IQ tests, not the least being that the term "intelligence" has never been adequately defined. Minorities and economically-challenged populations score consistently lower than well-off whites, yet no one really believes they are not "intelligent".

Intelligence covers many areas that a standard test just cannot measure, so I wouldn't worry about the scores you receive. That being said, it's a shame that such scores can scar a child and decrease his chances of getting a good education or job.
They use two different tests for children vs. adults.

Second, Einstein was NEVER tested for IQ so you or whomever you are citing is just making that up.

Third, as for Savant they misused and old, disproven equation to arrive at her IQ

"
Alan S. Kaufman, an author of IQ tests and of books about IQ testing, writes in IQ Testing 101 that "Miss Savant was given an old version of the Stanford-Binet (Terman & Merrill 1937), which did, indeed, use the antiquated formula of MA/CA × 100. But in the test manual's norms, the Binet does not permit IQs to rise above 170 at any age, child or adult. And the authors of the old Binet stated: 'Beyond fifteen the mental ages are entirely artificial and are to be thought of as simply numerical scores.' (Terman & Merrill 1937). . . . the psychologist who came up with an IQ of 228 committed an extrapolation of a misconception, thereby violating almost every rule imaginable concerning the meaning of IQs."[9]
  1. Kaufman, Alan S. (2009). IQ Testing 101. New York: Springer Publishing. p. 104
Marilyn vos Savant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-25-2010, 12:43 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,626,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
They use two different tests for children vs. adults.
The Wechsler tests, which seem to be the most commonly administered tests, actually are in 3 different age groups. As I haven't taken a test in a while, I can't personally vouch for this, but that's the info I've found online.

Quote:
Second, Einstein was NEVER tested for IQ so you or whomever you are citing is just making that up.
You're right. I was going by the experiments scientists conducted in the 20's, where they tried to determine the IQ of various historical figures from anecdotal evidence. I realize that's a poor way to estimate, but that's what I was going by.

Quote:
Third, as for Savant they misused and old, disproven equation to arrive at her IQ

"
Alan S. Kaufman, an author of IQ tests and of books about IQ testing, writes in IQ Testing 101 that "Miss Savant was given an old version of the Stanford-Binet (Terman & Merrill 1937), which did, indeed, use the antiquated formula of MA/CA × 100. But in the test manual's norms, the Binet does not permit IQs to rise above 170 at any age, child or adult. And the authors of the old Binet stated: 'Beyond fifteen the mental ages are entirely artificial and are to be thought of as simply numerical scores.' (Terman & Merrill 1937). . . . the psychologist who came up with an IQ of 228 committed an extrapolation of a misconception, thereby violating almost every rule imaginable concerning the meaning of IQs."[9]
  1. Kaufman, Alan S. (2009). IQ Testing 101. New York: Springer Publishing. p. 104
Marilyn vos Savant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Didn't know about that - thank you!

Old 11-26-2010, 09:53 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Title of Thread: IQ Test? Does anyone else hates them?
If you want to know, I really do hate English grammar.

I wonder if class might have something to do with IQ as well? I mentioned this before but this young woman was bragging to other people how she has an IQ of 125 (something like that, don't remember) and her boyfriend has almost the same IQ as her. She also mentioned that she came from a wealthy family (same has her bf).

Old 11-26-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post

I wonder if class might have something to do with IQ as well? I mentioned this before but this young woman was bragging to other people how she has an IQ of 125 (something like that, don't remember) and her boyfriend has almost the same IQ as her. She also mentioned that she came from a wealthy family (same has her bf).

Its deeply ironic that someone would brag about 125, lol.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post

An IQ of 125 isn't anything to brag about.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:46 PM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Students from middle class and higher backgrounds tend to score higher on all manner of standardized tests (SAT, ACT, AP, the various state's exit exams) than poor students from rural or urban areas, regardless of race. So do kids who were breast fed (had to throw that in).

Old 11-26-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Students from middle class and higher backgrounds tend to score higher on all manner of standardized tests (SAT, ACT, AP, the various state's exit exams) than poor students from rural or urban areas, regardless of race. So do kids who were breast fed (had to throw that in).
Yes, but, they determined that 50% of the difference is simply due to genetics. Turns out smart moms tend breastfeed more than not so smart moms.

It'll be interesting to see if the gap closes now that they are putting DHA and ARA in baby formula.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Yes, but, they determined that 50% of the difference is simply due to genetics. Turns out smart moms tend breastfeed more than not so smart moms.

It'll be interesting to see if the gap closes now that they are putting DHA and ARA in baby formula.
What?

You have some sort of source for the idea that the difference in SES and IQ is due to genetics???

Old 11-26-2010, 04:43 PM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
And we're off on the nature vs. nurture sleigh ride.

Smart parents tend to have smart kids. Is this because of genetics or because smart parents know how to, and have the resources, to help make their kids smart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology