Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:40 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,209,284 times

Advertisements

People seem to be complaining about how Gen Y men are (rude, feminine, unchivalrous, too horny ) but I'm wondering how exactly you think they differ on average from men in the past.

Deep down I think the 'Generation gap' has been exaggerated. People are still basically the same underneath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 11:53 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,932,840 times
i think we are the same in terms of we have the same desires as men of the past. But social norms have definitely changed. Kids have more free reign to rebel and parents are less strict in teaching their kids manners and rules.

Also traditionally negative behavior such as being a player, violence, etc etc has been glorified. Divorce is only gonna rise dude. good time to be a divorce lawyer lol

Old 01-17-2011, 11:59 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,209,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhe33 View Post
i think we are the same in terms of we have the same desires as men of the past. But social norms have definitely changed. Kids have more free reign to rebel and parents are less strict in teaching their kids manners and rules.

Also traditionally negative behavior such as being a player, violence, etc etc has been glorified. Divorce is only gonna rise dude. good time to be a divorce lawyer lol
I think studs and cassanovas have been admired in certain circles, but yes promiscuity hasn't been quite as celebrated as it is now. Wilt Chamberlain apparently had sex with 10,000 women. How his dinger didn't fall off, or how he didn't get plain sick of sex amazes me.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:25 AM

3,511 posts, read 5,321,099 times
Generation Y confuses me sometimes. I'm not of that generation and get repeatedly asked where did I learn all this stuff? Well, we didn't have computers or any of these other modern day gadgets when I was growing up. You made your fun, usually OUTSIDE. You learned stuff with hands on experience, trial and error, and without having Google and the net to fall back on. I've tried to take Gen Y guys hunting before and the first time I hear some dorky/annoying ringtone, I tell them to shut the damn thing off. You are scaring the game away! Duh LOL No cell phones in my boat while fishing either. Shut it off, I'm not listening to your old lady or girlfriend call every five minutes about nothing. I think it was a big mistake for the schools to take out much of their workshop and Industrial Arts labs, replacing them with computers! Yeah, you can learn the same thing on a computer. Would the kid even be able to turn the welder, drill press, lathe, end and vertical mill on, much less operate it? It's doubtful and they aren't learning what they need to learn. Yeah, I remember kids in my class nicking their thumb on the bandsaw or the router, bleeding all over the place. They had to go down to the nurse and get it taken care of or go get stitches. That's probably what killed it? I'm not certain though. Liability nowadays is a mofo!

Old 01-18-2011, 12:30 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,722,102 times
I can tell ya that if it wasn't for taking tech theater for 4 years in high school, I probably couldn't recognize a 2x4.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:42 AM

3,511 posts, read 5,321,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I can tell ya that if it wasn't for taking tech theater for 4 years in high school, I probably couldn't recognize a 2x4.
One of my friends went back at an auction at our high school many years later and bought some of the heavy equipment we used in machine shop. A Bridgeport vertical and end mill, surface grinder, metal lathe and some other BIG stuff. I guess the kids will never know how to use it now? All that equipment he bought is the SAME equipment we ran when we were there. Who would have ever thought he was going to buy the class as an adult! Haha

Old 01-18-2011, 01:18 AM

146 posts, read 268,416 times
Men are certainly not the same in terms of the self-image department. For example, let's just take hair as one aspect of grooming.

At no point in the history of humankind have men as a group spent more time obsessed with, and styling, their hair. Ten years ago I never saw pre-teen boys with colored hair or blonde tips, but these days I often see youngsters with bleached streaks. And the amount of time some of these boys spend getting their look just right. Don't be deceived. That tousled mop replete with shaggy fringe covering the eyes is a carefully contrived creation requiring hours of arrangement and adjustment in front of a bathroom mirror.

Relatedly, there are now a ridiculous amount of styling products targeted at a male market... Mousse, wax, paste, gel, putties, etc..... Let's also not forget the dye products designed for lad locks.

In the old days, men wore their hair long, short or clippered. Occasionally a rebel would opt for a mohawk. These days, many boys are going around with art perched on their head and hair is frequently used as a vehicle to express individuality and make a fashion statement.

Oh, and one last point. Once upon a time if you were losing your hair the only option was a toupee or comb-over. These days companies are offering a vast range of products and services that varying in effectiveness, including, laser treatment, special lotions and potions and hair replacement surgery.

PS. Initially, I didn't feel it was right to use emoticons with this comment because they are all bald! But I couldn't help myself.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:23 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,398,130 times
I think you people should get over it. It's not your business what other people do.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:48 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,395,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost&Found View Post
At no point in the history of humankind have men as a group spent more time obsessed with, and styling, their hair.
Have you ever seen a painting of George Washington? Or Louis XIV? Washington was president from 1789–1797, and Louis reigned from 1643 to his death in 1715 - clearly men of a certain social standing have definitely been more obsessed with their hair at different times in history.

As for the original question I don't think Gen Y is all that different. Humans are humans, no matter what era they're born in.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:52 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,395,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I think you people should get over it. It's not your business what other people do.
It may not be our business to judge other people, but there's nothing wrong with discussing the human condition. Sociology can be fascinating! And I don't sense that there's anything other than that going on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology