Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the closest to an alpha female?
Type 1 6 27.27%
Type 2 10 45.45%
Type 3 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:55 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,736,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What is your definition of an alpha female?

For instance;

Is it:

(a) A female who is physically attractive, a sign of fertility and health. For instance the hot but bitchy cheerleader, beauty Queen, sex symbol.

(b) An aggressive, sexually forward female who dominates the other females and some men. Not necessarily a tomboy, but can be, but can also be femme but loud and assertive.

(c) Someone who is simply egotistical/dominating. This articles suggests some one this:

Alpha female - AskMen Australia

Both can 'rule the roost' but in female-only circles, it seems the former dominates. I.e. the 'Queen bee.' Whereas in situations where there are males and females, I feel the latter would be more of the 'alpha female' type. I DO believe there are alpha females in humans (there are in most species, think dogs for instance).

Does the alpha female exist? - www.theage.com.au

This article gives a more generalised idea of an 'alpha female.'

By all means let me know your own idea of an 'alpha female' if you believe such exists.

But of the three crude models presented, which comes closest in your view?
None of the three. I associate the alpha quality in males and females, with leadership and competence, with a persuasive ability that does not come from bullying or dirty fighting. It comes more from an understanding of whom you're dealing with and finding out the best way to gain a rapport with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 12:56 PM

22,387 posts, read 29,507,923 times
I'm B

Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,753,447 times
You KNOW you made it when other women have to "get at you" from behind the scenes. They can't go head to head with you for their jealousy and insecurities from being dominated. The funny part is, it wasn't even a display of dominance or power. They were just having fun and doing their own thing. The FACT other women feel threatened by "that" proves my points and is priceless.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:41 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,923,985 times
Yeah I'm the second one. Lol
But try not to be mean.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:35 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,754,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I think we'll have to thumb wrestle for it.
Mud wrestling would be more fun

Old 03-29-2012, 03:01 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,218,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djuna View Post
mud wrestling would be more fun
lol

Old 03-29-2012, 03:42 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,405,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
lol
I'm actually starting to worry about this. Two feminists mud wrestling. Hillary Clinton can be the referee. And Gloria Allred can be the cheerleader...she's vocal, you know.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-29-2012 at 03:51 PM..

Old 03-29-2012, 04:03 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,737,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBBARK View Post
You KNOW you made it when other women have to "get at you" from behind the scenes. They can't go head to head with you for their jealousy and insecurities from being dominated. The funny part is, it wasn't even a display of dominance or power. They were just having fun and doing their own thing. The FACT other women feel threatened by "that" proves my points and is priceless.
I guess the only thing I'd change about the above statement is the first part. I'd say, "You know you ARE an alpha, when other women have to "get at you" from behind the scenes, because they're afraid to go head to head with you....they FEEL your strength."

The yippy, mouthy, troublemaking ones can't put their finger on it, but there's just SOMEthing about you that they don't like. You've never done anything that they can point a finger at....but for some reason, they just KNOW you're a bi*ch.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:36 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,134,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBBARK View Post
I think this is quite accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
^^^^ You stole my post gentlearts!

I absolutely agree with this. I don't agree with any of the poll options.

In my opinion, an alpha female is NOT a bully. A loudmouth bully is simply that....a loudmouth bully. Loud mouthed bullies are fearful people. The are flooded with adrenaline at the THOUGHT of someone challenging or disagreeing with them...that's fear.

An alpha female is quite likely an A-type personality. She has confidence in her abilities and takes whatever she is doing seriously. She is not easily swayed by the opinions of others, because she has educated herself in whatever task she has undertaken. A true alpha (IMHO) does not always have to be right....everything is a learning experience and an opportunity to broaden their knowledge base.

An alpha female will not be bullied. She might shrug her shoulders and walk away from a situation...but it's generally with a half-smile on her face, knowing that the person she's walking away from...is an ass, and will end up looking the fool. In other words..."Okay, you don't HAVE to believe me. No skin off MY nose. Have a nice day."

as is this. They won't worry about the petty things that might consume others.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:38 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,218,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm actually starting to worry about this. Two feminists mud wrestling. Hillary Clinton can be the referee. And Gloria Allred can be the cheerleader...she's vocal, you know.
And Halle Berry can provide back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology