Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 12:11 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,382,642 times

Advertisements

Hard to articulate what I have in mind in a headline, but I did my best. But I think an example will clarify: there's a guy a work with who will adopt a high-pitched little-kid voice to express some whiney thought. As if to say 'here I express my whiney thought, but I don't really mean it, I'm just joking here.' But somehow everybody else gets the feeling that he really does mean it.

Psychology has given us some words useful enough to have passed into general use, such as 'shadenfreude.' Is there a word in psychology to describe this kind particular kind of verbal camo? Framing a thought as a joke, so as to be able to express the thought, without really having to 'own' it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 08:52 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,550,506 times
One word? Fake.

Other words...sneaky and coward.

I have people in my life that make so-called "jokes" little digs wrapped up in a little giggle to indicate that the are "just joking". yeah right.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:28 PM

124 posts, read 212,980 times
not one word maybe two: Passive Aggressive

Old 05-18-2012, 02:32 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,162,649 times
Isn't it called "sarcasm?"

Old 05-18-2012, 06:51 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,320,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire&ice View Post
not one word maybe two: Passive Aggressive
I agree, passive aggressive covers it. They want to express a negative opinion and feel superior but in a covert way that people can't directly challenge them on. It's a kind of sarcasm with impunity.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:04 PM

936 posts, read 2,062,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Hard to articulate what I have in mind in a headline, but I did my best. But I think an example will clarify: there's a guy a work with who will adopt a high-pitched little-kid voice to express some whiney thought. As if to say 'here I express my whiney thought, but I don't really mean it, I'm just joking here.' But somehow everybody else gets the feeling that he really does mean it.

Psychology has given us some words useful enough to have passed into general use, such as 'shadenfreude.' Is there a word in psychology to describe this kind particular kind of verbal camo? Framing a thought as a joke, so as to be able to express the thought, without really having to 'own' it.
I think the word you're looking for is "immature", though as others have noted, "passive aggressive" is a pretty close fit.

Freud might have argued that the function of humor is so a person can express desires without having to own them, especially if those desires are taboo. So there may not be a specific word like "schadenfreude" that captures it.

On the other hand, it doesn't sound like you are really just searching for a word, amirite?

Old 05-19-2012, 07:36 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,382,642 times
I wouldn't have thought that passive aggressive would cover it, but then I can see how passive aggressive is a similar behavior. Basically creating a fake facade to express a feeling while avoiding having to say it outright.

But yeah, I'm just looking for a word. Seems like there should be word for this but maybe there is not.
I have very leading reading in psychology so maybe I just misunderstand the real meaning of passive aggressive. Although I live in the Seattle area, which is often claimed to be the world capitol of passive-aggression.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:16 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,367,932 times
It's a form of manipulation. A learned behavior. If these folks never get truly challenged when they use these behaviors, they will continue to default to them in very bad taste, I might add.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:49 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,582,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

IDK...I'm thinking a combinatation of passive aggression and dramatic irony. Jack Wagon or my new fav compliments of Andy Cohen....Jack-Hole.

"Superciliious"
su·per·cil·i·ous/ˌso͞opərˈsilēəs/

Adjective:Behaving or looking as though one thinks one is superior to others.Synonyms:haughty - arrogant - proud - lofty - uppish - snooty

Last edited by virgode; 05-21-2012 at 04:03 PM..

Old 10-01-2015, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,311 times
How bout lolful, or puppet-talker
many people use lol in a similar way,
maybe it could be called disclaimer-speak
...idiotese
...imbicilious
...moronicitis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology