Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 04:48 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,421,189 times

Advertisements

A friend told me his 8 year old kid was diagnosed as this..
To me he's just a normal kid, a bit quiet sometimes but..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 09:15 PM

115 posts, read 174,534 times
Maybe being too sensitive, reacting badly to normal (but unpleasant) life events. I always thought it was related to PTSD or autism.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:45 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,379 times
at age 8? I'd think that was for adults or young adults at least...yes then autism maybe

Old 08-17-2012, 10:14 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
It's certainly not an offical diagnosis, or a term used by mental health professionals.

Years ago, they used to label kids "emotionally disturbed" but today we would prefer to use the name of the actual diagnosis for whatever disruptive behavior disorder the kid might have.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:18 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
I think in this day and age, when having "friends" is all the rage, a child who is quieter, or prefers being by themselves, could easily be labeled (especially by a shrink) as being "emotionally handicapped". I don't believe in it myself, because I don't believe you have to enjoy interacting and conversing with others all the time to be considered normal....and if that were the case I guess I could be labelled the same, or eccentric at least.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 11,038 times
Hi my name is lasheba and i was in the 1st or the 2 grade when i notice i different frm everyone else...bout the 6 grade i found out on my skool papers they had me down as emotional handicap, that i was a ticking time bomb. I would get sooo angry and have temper tantrums., but as i got older ilearned how to control my temper... Now im 24 it dont take me longer to calm down. And i live a normal life

Old 11-14-2013, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 10,939 times
I'm a 36 year old female who was diagnosed as emotionally handicap when I was 5. I was put into special Ed with lots of kids lost in the system, education has come a long way. Back then they told you thatnyou were stupid and would never get it. I wasn't a ticking time bomb with anger and rage. Just a sad kid who felt out of place and felt like I didn't belong. I felt different than kids my age. Acted different. Was extreamly shy. I thought people didn't like me and constantly worried about what others thought. Part of me thought I was invisible. I suffered in school. I was smart, I just didn't have self esteem or teachers that could identify my needs. I was too scared to ask for help. I got out of special Ed in 6th grade. I graduated high school but struggled the entire time. Because of my emotional handicap diagnosis I have trouble making and maintains friends. I want them, I just get scared that I will say or do something or get hurt. As a parent, it's hard to connect with my kids. It makes me sad and wish I wasn't overwhelmed with anxiety, fear, depression that I could maintain better relationships. I never went off to college because of my fears and anxiety. I didn't know how to study. At 36yr of age, I've finally enrolled in college. I am emotionally handicap, I am 36 but feel like I'm emotionally an 18 yr old. This is a real diagnosis and anyone who thinks otherwise is uneducated in this matter.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:48 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
I agree there is usually a diagnosis that goes along with a pronouncement like that--such as reactive attachment disorder, autism or a severe anxiety disorder.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:16 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,035,253 times
I sadly can see abused children running into this type of diagnosis or problem. I cannot imagine how a small child responds after some act of cruelty people put them through/ sexual etc- with out it coming out somewhere and affecting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology