Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 12:30 PM

4,060 posts, read 2,137,280 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who really lost it the other day when someone informed him that someone he was friends with 20 years ago (but has not seen since or even thought about) died. He became so despondent that he didn't want to talk on the phone to anyone or answer any e-mails. He called in sick to work the next day. Now he is thinking about going to New York to find out more about the friend's death (the message was kind of cryptic).

I try to be empathetic to people, but I really can't understand why this is so traumatic for him. If he hadn't been notified about this, in all likelihood he would have gone another 20 years without thinking about this friend or contacting him. (There didn't seem to be any reason why the friendship ended other than geographic reasons and "drifting apart.") I can see where he could be nostalgic about the good old days with his friend or sad to hear of his passing. But-----to the point of having a meltdown about it?

You see similar reactions when a celebrity dies that no one has thought about for years....

Can someone explain the psychology behind this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
My guess it that he ran smack into his own mortality. This does seem like an over reaction, but if the person and he were the same age, and both equally vital when they knew each other, I guess this could hit a person hard.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:00 AM

260 posts, read 926,256 times
I would imagine there is a combination of reasons.... I agree that coming face to face with his own mortality could be one reason, especially if he has not had any other losses in his life. He might also be feeling a sense of guilt... for not being there for his friend, for losing touch with him in the first place. There could be a sense of melancholy for the loss of his childhood and perhaps this friend was a big part of that. There could be a sense of survivors guilt. Perhaps he had been planning on reconnecting with this friend, and the realization that he was too late caused a sense of loss and depression. Maybe he feels a misplaced sense of responsibility for his friends death.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:00 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,512 times
I agree with the others. The death of his long lost friend has made him see that his life won't last forever either. He may also be remembering his friend in their youth, and how happy the friend was, and now that life has been cut short.

I know this b/c I've gone through a few time in the past year. When I was on Facebook, I found out about a whole bunch of my classmates who pass away from all sorts of illnesses - at young ages.

Death makes you realize that life for us, for all of us, will end some day. It's a rude awakening. I imagine this is what is happening to your friend. He has to face his own mortality. He could also be missing his friend and wishing he had made a greater effort to keep in touch. We lose touch for such stupid reasons. I know I've done it without a thought but now, I consider people so much more than I use to.

Support him and try to understand him. Don't judge. He will come to terms with this death but it may take a while.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:35 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I think as others do. This has much more to do with his own mortality than the death of the old friend.

Some people do not seem to understand how much time has passed until something smacks them in the face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology