Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 08:14 PM

10 posts, read 58,982 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this can be possible or not, but I know I'm pretty and have a nice body, but I still have very low self esteem. I'm not exactly physically perfect, but I try to change most of my imperfections that I can change. I don't have a personality and I have severe anxiety around people and I'm afraid to talk to people because I'm scared of saying something stupid plus I never have anything to talk about. Can it be my anxiety that's affecting my self esteem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 09:22 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times
Some people are good looking, but due to their low self-esteem, they actually think they are not good looking!

Anyway since that is not the case with you, that is good!

So far as "imperfections", forget about it! Turn off the darn TV. Instead go to Walmart and notice that many men and women are walking around together and both are far from perfect. It does not matter! That is the REAL world. TV is fantasy. Actually the people on TV don't look that way in real life. They use make-up and lighting/video tricks to make them look like something which does not exist.

Accept yourself the way you are. Nobody is perfect (and if they were, everybody would hate them!) And expect other people to accept you the way you are - shyness and all. If they don't, then they are not true friends.

So now the question is what do you want to do with your life? Have a relationship? Get married eventually? Be a hermit?

There are ways to set big goals, then set a bunch of little goals leading up to that. One small step at a time...

Maybe not try to go out an have a 1/2 hour conversation with someone, rather set an initial goal of just looking at a stranger and saying Hi!

That's all there is to it. Little steps.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:49 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,586 times
Yes it's possible because being physically beautiful doesn't guarantee high self-esteem. I think a lot of people reference this but there are a lot of physically GORGEOUS people and they can be incredibly insecure. The two aren't really interrelated.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:27 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,844,912 times
Of course it's possible! Being attractive doesn't guarantee things like happiness, self-esteem, confidence. All it guarantees is that you look good

There is much, much more that goes into a person's mental and emotional well-being. Yes, being attractive is something that is valued in society, but after all is said and done, it is not a guarantee for anything.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:58 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,750 times
Anxiety, which seems to be your problem, has to do with goings on in your brain and has nothing to do with appearance. It's actually a form of mild mental illness and illness, of course, can strike anyone. Self esteem is much more complex than just knowing you're attractive.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:07 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,906 times
the suggestion, which is false, is that self worth is found in outer beauty.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
It is not possible that you have no personality. It is possible that your personality is repressed. probably need professional counseling to help with this. If you are a college student, professional counseling is often free, or very inexpensive.

If you cannot get professional counseling, then maybe try joining a book club. learn to read books and discuss them. At first you will be afraid to say anything, but over time, you will engage. You will also learn a lot about social conversation as well as learning a lot of interesting facts. Eventually you will be able to talk with people about books or movies and that is a good start. Soon you will be more and more comfortable discussing what you think of lots of things. Suddenly you will discover people find you interesting, not just sexy.

Probably lots of other ways to help you get your personality out, but that one just happened to occur to me.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It is not possible that you have no personality. It is possible that your personality is repressed. probably need professional counseling to help with this. If you are a college student, professional counseling is often free, or very inexpensive.

If you cannot get professional counseling, then maybe try joining a book club. learn to read books and discuss them. At first you will be afraid to say anything, but over time, you will engage. You will also learn a lot about social conversation as well as learning a lot of interesting facts. Eventually you will be able to talk with people about books or movies and that is a good start. Soon you will be more and more comfortable discussing what you think of lots of things. Suddenly you will discover people find you interesting, not just sexy.

Probably lots of other ways to help you get your personality out, but that one just happened to occur to me.
I barely can hold a conversation with someone. It sucks.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:55 PM

203 posts, read 321,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passwordd View Post
I don't know if this can be possible or not, but I know I'm pretty and have a nice body, but I still have very low self esteem. I'm not exactly physically perfect, but I try to change most of my imperfections that I can change. I don't have a personality and I have severe anxiety around people and I'm afraid to talk to people because I'm scared of saying something stupid plus I never have anything to talk about. Can it be my anxiety that's affecting my self esteem?
Somewhere along the way, Passwordd, you were either ignored or overlooked by a parent or you saw someone who raised you constantly question their looks or worthiness.

Time for some counseling! A good counselor will get you talking and thinking and help you get to the roots of where this low self esteem and anxiety came from. More than likely, it was something in your childhood that you've overlooked or don't yet have the wisdom to understand.

Please find yourself a counselor (if you go to psychologytoday.com) you can enter your zip code and find the counselor that best suits your needs.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy_rox2 View Post
Somewhere along the way, Passwordd, you were either ignored or overlooked by a parent or you saw someone who raised you constantly question their looks or worthiness.

Time for some counseling! A good counselor will get you talking and thinking and help you get to the roots of where this low self esteem and anxiety came from. More than likely, it was something in your childhood that you've overlooked or don't yet have the wisdom to understand.

Please find yourself a counselor (if you go to psychologytoday.com) you can enter your zip code and find the counselor that best suits your needs.
Thanks of course I want to see a therapist, but I don't have insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology