Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 05:48 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

The last five or six years I've really being doing a lot of reading and soul searching... trying to become more spiritually centered. I've been reading guys like Chopra, Eckhart Tolle, trying to learn to live in the moment, be more present in terms of my thinking. My whole life I've lived in the past or the future, never the "now". I have struggles with it, but I find that I'm more in the moment, in general, my mind still wanders a lot,but at least now, I'm more aware of it and I'm more "aware" in the general sense.

The thing that I'm struggling with is how to deal with things that just enrage me, they pull the ego out and just drive me crazy.

I have a real thing with injustices, I REALLY get hot when I see a blatant injustice happening. I don't say this to sound like I'm some kind of great guy, but it has always been that way with me... I sometimes wonder if I should have been some kind of civil rights lawyer... ...

Anyway this story in the British press about those two men who attacked a British solider on the street, totally random, was done to make a political statement.

I watched the vid clip of his wife and father speaking to the press and to see the pain in their faces just makes me so hot with rage....

I have brief fantasies about hurting those guys that attacked this innocent man. Once the rage clears up a bit I realize it isn't right or sound thing to do, the justice system needs to intervene and take care of it.

I am a really normal guy.. I don't have rage issues, I'm really a pussycat.. LOL, I know I don't sound that way right now.... LOL

The point I'm making is how do we reconcile these horrible acts and still stay spiritually and mentally centered and happy.....

Victim in London attack identified, 2 more arrested
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 06:12 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
Not trying too be smart... But not reading & watching the news helps........ helps a lot.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:47 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Thread moved from Other Topics to Psychology.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:44 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
It is normal to get upset about these things. And good that people do get upset! (If no one got upset, there would not be any laws against these things.)

As for dealing with your thoughts of retribution, it is normal to just "think" of doing these things (but never physically do anything). But crazy to actually go and do something.

For example someone will do something terrible which is on the news and upsets many people. Then you can hear various people saying they should do "this" and do "that" to the person. But they don't go down to the court house and do those things. They just think about it.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:34 AM

793 posts, read 1,343,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

The point I'm making is how do we reconcile these horrible acts and still stay spiritually and mentally centered and happy.....

Excellent question, Chowhound. I know exactly what you're talking about.

Like another poster mentioned, sometimes we just have to tune out the news. Part of my job as a parent is to stay strong and centered and when tragic events start to overwhelm me and make me question my faith in humankind, I know it's time to regroup. If not for me, for my kids.

As I get older, I really understand what this "Ignorance is Bliss" thing is all about.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:05 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,123 times
[quote=Chowhound;29716429]

The point I'm making is how do we reconcile these horrible acts and still stay spiritually and mentally centered and happy . . . .

Becoming spiritually and mentally centered has nothing to do with happiness. (I think happiness isn't real -- regardless, it certainly doesn't last very long -- I'll take joy, gratitude and contentment/peace over happiness ANY day.) I also don't think being spiritually and mentally centered has anything to do with ignoring the news, because we are all connected. What happens to just ONE person in Syria affects me, even if I'm not aware of it.

I think who you are reading are spirituality 'light'. Try reading Hafiz, Rumi. The Gospels. Thomas Merton wrote Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander, which is a classic about a monk being so frustrated and feeling guilty because there is so much injustice in the world and he is physically so removed from it all.

I do think we're on the verge of another big spiritual leap -- one that hasn't been seen since the time of Jesus. But I've not read -- ever -- one person of substance who has said that life is about happiness and not reading the news and turning your back on others who are suffering and not giving of oneself to others. Certainly we can get lost in our 'good works' and our ego can become out of sight. So there has to be a balance between 'doing' and 'being' -- but not one to the exclusion of the other.

I think you're on the right track. When the suffering of others no longer concerns us -- we're in BIG trouble, mentally and emotionally and spiritually.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
What to do with the rage you feel? At least you are angered by injustice to others, right? Not the injustice done to yourself? So, there is that. Good for you.

I think the only sane thing to do with this anger is to find a cause you believe in and give it your energy to make the world better, even if your influence is small. It is fine to look within, but it is truly great to give back.

If you channel the anger energy into positive actions, you might feel a little more peace.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-27-2013, 07:20 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
If you become angry at the injustice in the world, you are disappointed that the world is as it is. The question is, what is this disappointment relative to, and what is the anger directed at? You need to examine yourself for unrealistic expectations. If your anger tends to be unfocused or directed at "life" rather than at the injustice itself then you are simply having an impotent hissy fit about life not being the way you think it "should" be. This can be connected with religious ideations or any number of things. Similarly if your anger motivates you to take, at least in some small way, concrete action to right injustice or ameliorate the associated human suffering, you're on firmer ground than if it just causes you to "act out" or smolder and drive it inward (which in turn will ultimately cause you to act out). The question is, does your anger drive engagement with, or denial of, life?

Of course in the real world the answer is seldom one or the other, it will be a mix, but I guess what I am saying is, try to acknowledge life as it is, warts and all, and take whatever positive steps you can to make life better for others and for yourself. You seem from what you describe to have need of acceptance. Acceptance is not endorsement, it is just moving on from incredulity and laughing at the absurdity of it all and then doing something constructive. If you don't move on from incredulity and indignation then you are just not accepting the situation. Refusing to accept what is -- even when unpleasant -- is just going to get you stuck every time.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:03 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
I went into a emotional cocoon many years ago after a series of deaths within a short time...daughter, husband, father, sister and more. After over a year of feeling completely numb following my DH's death, I had an incident when I became angered over a person's pettiness and the red rage I felt was so wonderful. Ahhhhh.....to really feel strongly -- even in anger -- about something was very life-affirming.

Even these days I do tend to languish in an emotionally withdrawn state much of the time and don't get involved with most people. I have few really, really emotional moments and avoid anyone who tends to bring me any kind of emotional discomfort. And so, in some ways I envy your highly emotional response.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:39 AM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
If you become angry at the injustice in the world, you are disappointed that the world is as it is. The question is, what is this disappointment relative to, and what is the anger directed at? You need to examine yourself for unrealistic expectations. If your anger tends to be unfocused or directed at "life" rather than at the injustice itself then you are simply having an impotent hissy fit about life not being the way you think it "should" be. This can be connected with religious ideations or any number of things. Similarly if your anger motivates you to take, at least in some small way, concrete action to right injustice or ameliorate the associated human suffering, you're on firmer ground than if it just causes you to "act out" or smolder and drive it inward (which in turn will ultimately cause you to act out). The question is, does your anger drive engagement with, or denial of, life?

Of course in the real world the answer is seldom one or the other, it will be a mix, but I guess what I am saying is, try to acknowledge life as it is, warts and all, and take whatever positive steps you can to make life better for others and for yourself. You seem from what you describe to have need of acceptance. Acceptance is not endorsement, it is just moving on from incredulity and laughing at the absurdity of it all and then doing something constructive. If you don't move on from incredulity and indignation then you are just not accepting the situation. Refusing to accept what is -- even when unpleasant -- is just going to get you stuck every time.
I do have a hard time with accepting what 'is'.... It is interesting you mention that... I'm working on acceptance.... it's just hard, cause it feels like an "endorsement" which I know isn't.... but yeah... good tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology