Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 05:23 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
I hope you were referring to FloraBelle, because I haven't done anything like this to my husband or anyone else.
****, I am sorry, please accept my apology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 05:23 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloraBelle View Post
Right. I didn't trust her anymore.
Because she recognized that you had a serious problem. Your parents should have taken this seriously. Guidance counselors generally don't go calling the parents unless they NEED to.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:26 PM

20 posts, read 23,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
You're not in high school any more are yeh?
Nope, I'm in my sophomore year of college.
Quote:
Talk to a real psychiatrist, things like this NEED therapy.
If I were to start telling him/her from years ago and my flashbacks, would they report this?

Old 06-06-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
Because she recognized that you had a serious problem. Your parents should have taken this seriously. Guidance counselors generally don't go calling the parents unless they NEED to.
But hopefully if I do end up talking to my campus counselor, they won't phone my parents? I'm already 21 years old.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
If I were to start telling him/her from years ago and my flashbacks, would they report this?

Does it matter if they do?

The one counselor I've been with didn't report...

Old 06-06-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
But hopefully if I do end up talking to my campus counselor, they won't phone my parents? I'm already 21 years old.
Since you are old enough now, they have this policy in many universities where basically they need your authorization to do most about anything.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Does it matter if they do?
It would bring back the memory of my HS counselor happening all over again.
Quote:
The one counselor I've been with didn't report...
How many sessions in total?

Old 06-06-2013, 05:31 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,216 times
Quote:
I don't think so. You aren't physically endangering anyone. Still, you are doing harm.

Psychological abuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Psychological abuse does not always lead to physical abuse, but physical abuse in domestic relationships is nearly always preceded and accompanied by psychological abuse."

" A 2007 study of Spanish college students aged 18–27 [12] found that psychological aggression (as measured by the Conflict Tactics Scale) is so pervasive in dating relationships that it can be regarded as a normalized element of dating, and that women are substantially more likely to exhibit psychological aggression. Similar findings have been reported in other studies."

"Numerous studies done between the 1980 and 1994[1][16][17][18][19][20] report that lesbian relationships have higher overall rates of interpersonal aggression (including psychological aggression/emotional abuse) than heterosexual or gay male relationships. Furthermore, women who have been involved with both men and women reported higher rates of abuse from their female partners.[21]"

A lot of women do this stuff. But it's still abusive.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:55 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Florabelle, I support you in making sure you are never abused. But you are not going about it in an effective way. (And, as others have said, you are being abusive yourself.)

Quote:
Usually an abuser starts with a slap or shoves you, not an immediate Chris Brown thing.
No. Usually an abuser starts with being just a little bit controlling, often in very early dating.

He (of course it can be a she, but for simplicity I will say he) will do things like say you dress too sexy when you go out, or ask you to change your hair. Then he progresses to disapproving -- subtly at first -- of your connections with friends and family.

Over time, bit by bit so you don't notice, you end up walking on eggshells around him, always worried he will get upset over something. And getting upset might just mean being petulant. It's the effect on YOU that is important. You also find yourself without close friendships and distanced from your family, geographically or emotionally.

He may not start the verbal abuse until all that is in place. Or he might, if you tolerate it.

The physical abuse often doesn't start until years later, when you are so used to being treated badly and so socially isoolated that he can get away with it.

Your tests won't work, and they are hurting your partners. Google some lists of 'warning signs of abusive relationships' for more info.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:11 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
What NilaJones said.

There's really no ironclad way in making sure that you don't get abused. What you can do, though, is educate yourself on the dynamics of abusive relationships, and take your time getting to know someone. If someone is truly abusive, they don't need your provocation. They'll manufacture their own. NilaJones is right, abuse doesn't start with hitting, it starts with controlling behaviors that can be misinterpreted as caring, and slowly escalate from there. Learn to see the red flags,and get out if you see them.

One thing that no one's mentioned yet is that, not only could the man that you're testing "snap" and really hurt you, he could just call the cops and have you arrested. There's a growing realization in this society that both males AND females can be perpetrators of abuse. Your sh*t test may just have negative legal repercussions for yourself. Take this seriously.

And, you need to get yourself mentally healthy before you attempt to pursue a relationship, if you hope to have a good one. Healthy people don't verbally abuse people to try to provoke them into violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology