Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 11:46 PM

217 posts, read 307,862 times

Advertisements

There is a lot to say about facebook. I got into it my freshman year in college five years ago. As of two days ago, I elected to finally dump it. I sent an e-mail to privacy@facebook.com. I recently got an e-mail saying that the process to permanently delete was underway and will be finished in no more than 14 days.

It was not a tough decision. It was rather an overdue move that was the result of an impulsive decision. I could have left facebook much earlier, as I was aware of the terrible effect it was having on my psyche not long after joining it. But my delay was due to my addiction to facebook. During my time as a member, I wanted to stay aboard in the event I missed something if I left (i.e. an unexpected friend or family member of mine joining facebook). Or an opportunity to post a photo album down the road which may lead to lots of comments and subsequent "fame" amongst the facebook community. The latter motivation seems a bit out there, but is inevitably a factor into why many people seem to stay on facebook. Facebook is, after all, a popularity contest.

I was the type of facebooker that created a status every day or two. I am aware that a healthy medium may have been reached with some thoughtfulness, like many achieve, where use is far more seldom. This method still allows for remaining in contact with friends without the need to be in everyone's faces all the time in their newsfeeds. But, my personality is that - I thrive off of getting peoples' attention. I don't mean this in a bad way. I used to write about many different things which resulted in, mainly, the same types of people responding. I almost felt like I needed to live up to the image I was creating for others to banter with. While I did not lie or embellish my outside life to my facebook friends, I did feel an obligation to the people who kept responding (often family) and those whom I had some meaningful friendship with in the outside world to prolong my communication with them in the event that if I seemed too aloof they'd drop me as a friend. I am not terrified by the prospect of being unfriended, but I am not the type who likes to burn bridges either, especially if it's avoidable.

At the end of the day, these extremely trivial fears caused me to become overwhelmed with friends, friends' lives, and the overall culture that defines facebook. Why did I spend days - weeks - maybe even months of my life on facebook? I really don't think I got anything beneficial out of it. I say the people who "get" facebook use it as merely a supplement to a flourishing social life instead of as a substitute. I have people who I regularly communicate with outside of facebook, so I am not removed from actual social interaction. But it did become a means to shoot the **** to an extent where I became concerned about people and lives that otherwise had no effect on me.

Once again, as a disclaimer, I know there are smarter people than me who know how to use facebook properly. But does anyone else feel detested with the culture of facebook? How it has the power to eat away at your sanity because of people and comments that promote gossip and negativity rather than what they should be promoting? Anyone feel me on this? Part of my dismay may also be the effect of the types of people I'm connected to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 08:44 AM

4,530 posts, read 4,059,010 times
I think facebook is a kind of an opportunity to anyone to be their own movie star.

However it works great for family and friends to keep up with what each other is doing.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:18 PM

1,755 posts, read 3,000,021 times
Yeah, many people's self-esteem is attached to their Facebook. Posting a status and receiving a like makes them feel existent, and getting likes on their pictures makes them feel desirable.

Facebook isn't all that special.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:37 AM

605 posts, read 1,261,369 times
Oh, Boy, did you say that well!! I have a 38 year old daughter (bipolar with borderline personality disorder) who is a single mom with three kids, and i swear her only social life is Candy Crush and Facebook. I had to finally get off facebook from her. She spends HOURS on it - and then when you go see her, her home is trashed, she's on the sofa 'depressed' and i am sure probably not taking her meds...but she'll tell total strangers stupid things like, "ugh, depressed and got my period today" or - "gotta pop some pimples and wash my hair today". how lame is that??? I can't get her to a therapist yet her 'friends' on facebook all are not brave enough to tell her the truth like "do you really want to share something like that". or "why not see a professional??" Facebook can be good for seeing pics of things like your cousin's prom or wedding, but really, when your whole life is wrapped around it, it is an addicition just as powerful as alcohol or drugs and just as dangerous.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,055,961 times
I can't relate to this obsession with Facebook and how it makes one feel, even though I post on FB just about every day.

My kids live in Guam and in England. My parents live two states away. Most of my relatives are scattered between Louisiana and California. FB is how we stay in touch with each other over time zones and across thousands of miles. It means a lot to all of us to be able to do this and to share the minutia of our lives with each other. We really don't care much about what other people outside immediate family and very close friends think, and we're certainly not trying to win any popularity contests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology