Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 07:28 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times

Advertisements

I mean, they don't AFFECT anyone else but the person who has the tattoo. Why do people feel compelled to judge other people on such an arbitrary thing? Is it just garden-variety control-freakery? A desperate need to find a reason to judge someone? Dissatisfaction with their own life? Secret jealousy? Peer pressure?

Yep, that's my Thursday morning molotov cocktail. Enjoy!

Old 08-08-2013, 07:49 AM

1,092 posts, read 832,281 times
"PERMANENT reminder of a temporary feeling!" - (Jimmy Buffett song) > > >

I am 62 & know several family members & friends my age or older who have acquired tattoos ( and some piercings). I cannot think of one who has not expressed regret about having them. > Changes in skin with age
> " in ink over time, etc.
Around here, there are jobs in which the tattoos/piercings MUST remain covered the entire time you are in the job. Why bother. AND, like it or no, some of us oldsters come from a time when tattoos, etc., were an outward sign of a life of rebellion, hard living, etc. But...what do I know???? I am just an old, un-tattooed person!!

Old 08-08-2013, 07:53 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Giving u a rep point because the title made me laugh.

I have no issue whatsoever regarding tattoos.
They're fun things, imo.
I enjoy young people and all their piercings and crazy hair gels sticking
out like an alien...people in general are fun and interesting...

Plus, I'm too self absorbed to give my thought time to anyone else.
Ha!

Edit: Sorry, u asked about the psy. Of tattoo haters....people that have not gone within to find happiness look outside to most anything to continue the cycle of discontent...if it is not tattoos....it's that damn plug in the wall that is in the wrong place....it's always somethin...

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 08-08-2013 at 08:07 AM..

Old 08-08-2013, 08:21 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogHR View Post
"PERMANENT reminder of a temporary feeling!" - (Jimmy Buffett song) > > >

I am 62 & know several family members & friends my age or older who have acquired tattoos ( and some piercings). I cannot think of one who has not expressed regret about having them. > Changes in skin with age
> " in ink over time, etc.
Around here, there are jobs in which the tattoos/piercings MUST remain covered the entire time you are in the job. Why bother. AND, like it or no, some of us oldsters come from a time when tattoos, etc., were an outward sign of a life of rebellion, hard living, etc. But...what do I know???? I am just an old, un-tattooed person!!

I know of a few people over 60 that have them and do not regret them.

Most of the large corporations and fortune 500 companies I work for have executives and Managers with visible tattoos. It's definitely changing.

But I think people are still clinging to old stereotypes where only certain types of people got them. As far as the psychology behind it. Hard to say. I think people have this natural inclination to try and tell other's how to live their lives. This goes way beyond tattoos but I believe it falls in to the same area. I can't relate, because I'm not wired that way, but people waste so much energy trying to convince others to like what they like and live like they live. It's like the gay marriage thing. There is no logical reason for we hetero's to be against it. It has zero effect on us. Yet so many hetero's are fighting fiercely to keep gays from getting married. why? Just because you don't agree with it or like it? Religion, alcohol, marijuana, you name it. Conservatives used to get violent with hippies in the 60's just because they didn't agree with their lifestyle or philosphy. Anti-aboritionist blowing up clinics and trying to kill the Doctors. It's hypocritical and yet they can't see it. People just can't accept the fact that just because they don't like something, that doesn't make it wrong, that doesn't mean it should be illegal, that doesn't make it immoral.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:26 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I mean, they don't AFFECT anyone else but the person who has the tattoo. Why do people feel compelled to judge other people on such an arbitrary thing? Is it just garden-variety control-freakery? A desperate need to find a reason to judge someone? Dissatisfaction with their own life? Secret jealousy? Peer pressure?

Yep, that's my Thursday morning molotov cocktail. Enjoy!
People don't hate tattoos, just like people don't hate people who ignite their dollar bills on fire, accelerate to red lights, or go to job interviews dressed in a tank top and flip flops.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I know of a few people over 60 that have them and do not regret them.

Most of the large corporations and fortune 500 companies I work for have executives and Managers with visible tattoos. It's definitely changing.

But I think people are still clinging to old stereotypes where only certain types of people got them. As far as the psychology behind it. Hard to say. I think people have this natural inclination to try and tell other's how to live their lives. This goes way beyond tattoos but I believe it falls in to the same area. I can't relate, because I'm not wired that way, but people waste so much energy trying to convince others to like what they like and live like they live. It's like the gay marriage thing. There is no logical reason for we hetero's to be against it. It has zero effect on us. Yet so many hetero's are fighting fiercely to keep gays from getting married. why? Just because you don't agree with it or like it? Religion, alcohol, marijuana, you name it. Conservatives used to get violent with hippies in the 60's just because they didn't agree with their lifestyle or philosphy. Anti-aboritionist blowing up clinics and trying to kill the Doctors. It's hypocritical and yet they can't see it. People just can't accept the fact that just because they don't like something, that doesn't make it wrong, that doesn't mean it should be illegal, that doesn't make it immoral.
I think this is dead on. I was actually thinking about gay marriage when I wrote the post, simply because it's yet another thing that doesn't affect anyone except the people actually involved in it.

I also tend to believe peer pressure and narcissism are two big drivers.

Peer pressure among the older generation in particular - my grandmother was completely freaked out by tattoos. She was also completely freaked out about the idea that she might not completely fit in. It was laughable, but kind of more common for her generation. I remember her ranting when someone wore a slightly different cap at my graduation - she sputtered about why people had to try and be different. A friend's mother is from the same age group and is similarly obsessive about being seen as being exactly like everyone else. Now, I understand why this is because it wasn't uncommon to shun people back then for just being slightly "off." Conversely, I don't know anyone who has been shunned or excluded for refusing to get a tattoo or viewed as "less cool." So I'm not sure why peer pressure comes up SO MUCH as a reason for getting tattoos.

Of course there are people who get tattoos specifically because all their friends have them or celebrities have them, but you find that with anything. Most of the people I know who get them take them very seriously and consider them to be works of art. Indeed, in the modern age, it is not much different than putting something into print - of course you may regret that book/blog/poem/etc. you published, and it will stay with you forever. But that's what self-expression is about to a certain degree - you make a stand. One could even make the argument that a tattoo, carefully designed and created, is the way for someone who has no personal artistic talent to express themselves in an art form.

Narcissism is a driver because people think that because they would never do it themselves, it must be deviant.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:17 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
I find it interesting that a lot of the pushback about tattoos isn't from older people. For people like my parents, tattoos were for soldiers, sailors, bikers, and ex-cons almost exclusively, so I kind of understand the unsavory or macho reputation. I know plenty of people with tattoos who are smart, professional, educated, all that jazz, so for me it's merely a matter of personal preference.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:31 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I mean, they don't AFFECT anyone else but the person who has the tattoo. Why do people feel compelled to judge other people on such an arbitrary thing? Is it just garden-variety control-freakery? A desperate need to find a reason to judge someone? Dissatisfaction with their own life? Secret jealousy? Peer pressure? Yep, that's my Thursday morning molotov cocktail. Enjoy!
I dont see much to concern yourself with. It's your own body. Try not worrying about whether people like me approve of what you attach to your body any more than I will lose sleep over others disliking my dark skin, unless your tats interfere with your gaining employment or a bank loan...?

Old 08-08-2013, 10:45 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sat Nam View Post
For me it's like a whim made permanent. Don't get it twisted--people get their tats removed. One reason is when they put someone's name on their body and break up with the person.

I just find it primitive. I think that it's grotesque to mark up one's body like that, although for those who are really committed to it, I give many props. People who commit to sleeves of tats are not wannabes. And they are usually artsy in other areas.

If you've ever seen wrinkled, tatted skin, you will know one of my main reasons to be against it. Please pass the barf bag.
Have you seen wrinkled un-tatted skin? It's no different, it's rough and a bit grotesque so I don't know why anti-tattoo people try to use this argument. I've never seen an elderly person with great looking skin. They have blemishes.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Have you seen wrinkled un-tatted skin? It's no different, it's rough and a bit grotesque so I don't know why anti-tattoo people try to use this argument. I've never seen an elderly person with great looking skin. They have blemishes.
My mother is in an "adult community" near the Jersey Shore. OMG, every time I go to the pool, I feel like I'm in a crocodile pit with all the leathery and wrinkled skin around me. I often wonder what would happen if I tossed a live chicken into the pool.

If you're going to clutch your pearls over tats on "old skin," you clearly haven't been looking at old skin very much. At least at tat has a story to go with it rather than "I don't know - that big mole just showed up a few years ago and started sprouting hair"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology