Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 02:55 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,602,406 times

Advertisements

It seems like many people, while not admitting to it, seem to live almost completely refusing to acknowledge some of the most basic and widely recognized tenets of psychology. In their view, they consciously control every aspect of their personality and behavior, and the environment they were raised in, their childhood experiences, neurological makeup or unconscious mind have nothing to do with it.

I find these people really frustrating to deal with. Why are there so many of them? Why don't they get called on their ignorance more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 03:26 PM

34,091 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Why don't they get called on their ignorance more?
They do. All the time.
They just ignore that too.

Sydney Freedman - M*A*S*H - YouTube

Old 01-05-2013, 05:24 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,694,247 times
Quote:
It seems like many people, while not admitting to it, seem to live almost completely refusing to acknowledge some of the most basic and widely recognized tenets of psychology. In their view, they consciously control every aspect of their personality and behavior, and the environment they were raised in, their childhood experiences, neurological makeup or unconscious mind have nothing to do with it.

I find these people really frustrating to deal with. Why are there so many of them? Why don't they get called on their ignorance more?
There many reasons and they are all multi-faceted. One is cultural we live in shape our own destiny rhetoric where everything is on the individual and nothing else. This attitude can be taken to the extremes and folks don't want to be called out on it. The other is a lot of Psychological terms get thrown around too much with people not fully understanding them. This annoys me the most especially on this and many other forums where people think they understand the terms extrovert, introvert and are just going off dumb down definitions of them. Also I can't count how many times people use the word anti social out of context.

The reason you can't call them out is that it is a numbers games. There are many cliques and group think going on and questioning it will get you know where because you are either "complaining" or "just don't get it".

So its a combination of our boot straps culture and people cherry picking terms that support their views.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:36 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,982,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
....The other is a lot of Psychological terms get thrown around too much with people not fully understanding them. This annoys me the most especially on this and many other forums where people think they understand the terms extrovert, introvert and are just going off dumb down definitions of them. Also I can't count how many times people use the word anti social out of context....
Since you've got it down, why don't you quickly define each those terms in your own words. You could also provide an example of how people use 'antisocial' out of context. I think that will help us reading this thread better understand what you are saying.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:

I think the people you describe are either in denial (don't want to see their own BS), don't have the reasoning and conceptual ability necessary, or are just uneducated. I think people who don't even care should still be able to recognize at least basic psychological devices from and through experience interacting with others or paying attention to themselves.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Since you've got it down, why don't you quickly define each those terms in your own words. You could also provide an example of how people use 'antisocial' out of context. I think that will help us reading this thread better understand what you are saying.
These are a bit crude and to the point.
extrovert gets energy from social interaction
introvert gets energy from down time.
An example usually quiet is seen among people who are introverted but introvert does not mean that a person is quiet if you get my drift. Also an extrovert can enjoy a big gathering but at the same time not be the life of the party.

The antisocial gets me because usually if someone is shy, reserved and others similar to those definition they are said to be anti social. That basically saying a shy person is a murderer, sociopath and all around criminal for being shy. Also the fact that being shy is seen as a disease to some folks doesn't help either.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
An example usually quiet is seen among people who are introverted but introvert does not mean that a person is quiet if you get my drift. Also an extrovert can enjoy a big gathering but at the same time not be the life of the party.

The antisocial gets me because usually if someone is shy, reserved and others similar to those definition they are said to be anti social. That basically saying a shy person is a murderer, sociopath and all around criminal for being shy. Also the fact that being shy is seen as a disease to some folks doesn't help either.
Thanks. You've really touched on something I see as a very serious problem with that last paragraph. I, too, am concerned that people unjustly and ignorantly think horrible things about shy individuals (and slightly awkward individuals), especially today when these mass shootings are instilling fear within our society. I think the suspicion toward those who are 'shy' collectively makes for a large negative effect.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,047,324 times
When it comes to being shy there is also the huge problem in the US that almost everyone has been exposed to mercury through vaccines or food and is therefore on the aspergers / autism spectrum some where. Normally they either have enough control over it or it is too mild to be detected over just being shy.

However it is really hard for someone who has studied and understood psychology to be around normal people. It's the study of human behaviour, why we do the things we do. IE why we think we know it all or don't need to know it all. Not knowing it is like not knowing how to operate yourself and making endless stupid obvious mistakes with no hope of improving - that or improving in a predictable manner.

They don't get called on their ignorance more because there is an overwhelmingly huge amount of them. They don't teach anything worth while like psychology in grade school. So little people get the chance to leave plato's cave...

Old 01-05-2013, 10:59 PM

260 posts, read 473,289 times
Quote:

The funny thing is (from what I understand) in psychological terminology, someone with an 'anti social' personality disorder is not someone who is shy or reserved at all.. it's the extreme (disordered) end of the adventurous personality trait..so quite the opposite really!

Old 01-06-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckgrl View Post
[/b]

The funny thing is (from what I understand) in psychological terminology, someone with an 'anti social' personality disorder is not someone who is shy or reserved at all.. it's the extreme (disordered) end of the adventurous personality trait..so quite the opposite really!
I had to correct my friends on the terms because people would stick that label on my roommate back in college which I felt was really off base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology