Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 3,958 times

Advertisements

I mean, it seems totally passive-aggressive to me. I can be riding my bike on the sidewalk (because the street is a major one where bikes usually do not go) and there may be one or several people turn around, see me, and don't budge.

Or on foot, I walked into a store yesterday and a woman was blocking the entrance, saw me, stayed put, and so I was forced to say 'excuse me' and then these people seem to peevishly move. It irks me that I have to take the trouble to ask them to do something they are aware of. I realize that sometimes you can look at something and not really be there because you are preoccupied but this is happening too often.

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 10:59 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Welcome here, lemurian chick...

What say me?
My lower ego self says what you say, I could get peeved.

My higher self says, these people were never listened to, cared about,
mattered or were invisible as children and unconsciously they'll be dam*ed
if they're going to be invisible again.
They are staking there ground...like marking their territory...they might as well
stand there like Mr. Clean arms crossed...that's what they look like to me....children with
their arms crossed.

Yes, it is passive aggressive, directed out at the world...the world is now to take the
blame for the neglect of their parents.
Thus, the bank teller that doesn't smile at them becomes the replacement mother (now should be fired),
The stranger that wants to pass by is now the father and darnit, notice them.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:14 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I don't think the blocking-the-doorway thing, or a group of young people blocking a sidewalk while walking and chatting, is passive-aggressive most of the time. It's just simple self-absorption and cluelessness. But it does seem very odd. What part of "doorway" or "public thoroughfare" don't they get?

Old 08-23-2013, 11:37 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't think the blocking-the-doorway thing, or a group of young people blocking a sidewalk while walking and chatting, is passive-aggressive most of the time. It's just simple self-absorption and cluelessness. But it does seem very odd. What part of "doorway" or "public thoroughfare" don't they get?
Hate to stereotype but I see this blocking behavior more in overweight single moms in my area than young people.. agree with you on self-absorption and cluelessness..

Old 08-23-2013, 02:46 PM

Default Wow...great analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Welcome here, lemurian chick...

What say me?
My lower ego self says what you say, I could get peeved.

My higher self says, these people were never listened to, cared about,
mattered or were invisible as children and unconsciously they'll be dam*ed
if they're going to be invisible again.
They are staking there ground...like marking their territory...they might as well
stand there like Mr. Clean arms crossed...that's what they look like to me....children with
their arms crossed.

Yes, it is passive aggressive, directed out at the world...the world is now to take the
blame for the neglect of their parents.
Thus, the bank teller that doesn't smile at them becomes the replacement mother (now should be fired),
The stranger that wants to pass by is now the father and darnit, notice them.
I have felt that way about others before. For instance, I have seen young males "play-fighting" in traffic! And I have felt that the most neglected, most invisible tend to do reckless, look-at-me antics that seem demented on the outside looking in.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I think it is precisely when they look directly at you and proceed to do the same thing. I know that even I have stood somewhere in a store aisle thinking about what I need or whatever and hear a slightly irked voice behind me say "excuse me!"

Old 08-23-2013, 03:02 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Yep. It's back-to-school time at the local universities, and every year there's a new influx of students who randomly stop in a stairwell or on the sidewalk to text, who meander along with headphones in staring at their phones with people behind them, who block doorways, and who walk down the sidewalk four abreast expecting others to walk in the grass to get by them. It eventually dies down, but it's super annoying.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:08 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I like that 'dememted look at me behavior'.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:57 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurian chick View Post
I mean, it seems totally passive-aggressive to me. I can be riding my bike on the sidewalk (because the street is a major one where bikes usually do not go) and there may be one or several people turn around, see me, and don't budge.

Or on foot, I walked into a store yesterday and a woman was blocking the entrance, saw me, stayed put, and so I was forced to say 'excuse me' and then these people seem to peevishly move. It irks me that I have to take the trouble to ask them to do something they are aware of. I realize that sometimes you can look at something and not really be there because you are preoccupied but this is happening too often.

What say you?

Totally agree, i see this all the time, i feel like i'm the one who's always having to "sidestep" someone...if i see the person is pre-occupied i'll sidestep, but most times, they'll just keep walking like they own the sidewalk.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:10 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I usually don't move when there is a bicycle on the sideWALK (only if it is children). Bikes don't belong there.

As for the doorways, I noticed the same. I think it might be that people look into your direction but are somewhere else with their thoughts and just don't register you.

I often have people (mostly teenagers) run into me but I don't move away if it is because of their own stupidity. I move away if I see they are preoccupied with thoughts or if we are both coincidentally walk into each other. If I walk straight and they see me coming and come from the side or turn around and walk into me - their mistake. And I especially don't move for people who text and don't look where they are walking.

They look up the last second before they hit me and think I need to avoid collision, because they are so important - NOPE. I usually win since I am taller and they just bounce off me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology