Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 03:19 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,443,669 times

Advertisements

Let's say some basic calculations have to be performed to solve one of his homework problems. Is it OK if she keys in a couple numbers onto the calculator for him? Let's say that's all she does in terms of his earning the degree. Was that unethical? Would you do it? Where do you draw the line?

Old 08-28-2013, 03:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,128,773 times
plmokn, I don't know about you, but in my world (one in which I raised five kids to adulthood), it's pretty easy to tell the difference between HELPING and CHEATING. Helping is helping a person reason through a problem or concept. Helping is reviewing papers and giving feedback. Helping can even go so far as reading a required book or studying alongside the other person so that you can help them work through a particularly hard concept.

Cheating is taking tests for them, writing papers, doing assignments, logging in online as if you are the student, etc. Which is what, by the way, the OP's husband is asking her to do. He's not asking her to key in a few numbers on a calculator for him while he's sitting there doing the assignment.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:27 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,934,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Let's say some basic calculations have to be performed to solve one of his homework problems. Is it OK if she keys in a couple numbers onto the calculator for him? Let's say that's all she does in terms of his earning the degree. Was that unethical? Would you do it? Where do you draw the line?
Ah, now we get into the degrees of ethics.

Yes, helping him plug numbers into a calculator would be ethically "okay" to me, and probably to most reasonable people.

This sounds like he's just reading her numbers out loud, and she's keying them in, and he gets the answer (we're assuming that calculators are allowed here.)

If she were to complete his entire homework assignment for him, I would consider that unethical. Do people do it? Yes, too much in my opinion. But helping someone do something is different from doing it FOR them.

Also, the OP is talking about doing ALL the required coursework, for which the husband will receive a degree. If he did not perform the course work himself, then ethically, he's not entitled to that degree. We can also assume that he'll get some added benefit in his employment when he gets this degree. Maybe he gets a raise for having a Master's. But if he did not earn that Master's himself, now we're getting into actual fraud approaching a criminal level.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:06 PM

502 posts, read 897,866 times
My only and immediate response was, "oh hell no."

That's exactly what I would tell your husband.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:28 AM

280 posts, read 422,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Ah, now we get into the degrees of ethics.

Yes, helping him plug numbers into a calculator would be ethically "okay" to me, and probably to most reasonable people.

This sounds like he's just reading her numbers out loud, and she's keying them in, and he gets the answer (we're assuming that calculators are allowed here.)

If she were to complete his entire homework assignment for him, I would consider that unethical. Do people do it? Yes, too much in my opinion. But helping someone do something is different from doing it FOR them.

Also, the OP is talking about doing ALL the required coursework, for which the husband will receive a degree. If he did not perform the course work himself, then ethically, he's not entitled to that degree. We can also assume that he'll get some added benefit in his employment when he gets this degree. Maybe he gets a raise for having a Master's. But if he did not earn that Master's himself, now we're getting into actual fraud approaching a criminal level.
I agree. As I said earlier, I offered to provide help by proofreading and helping him change grammar and spelling errors but he wants me to take the entire class for him and write my name to it. I look at it the same way as using my signature to embezzle money.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:04 AM

26,020 posts, read 22,214,018 times
Tristan: Continue to stand your ground in this. A lot of parents of children with special needs can get trapped into a situation where their choices are limited. Don't let yourself get into that situation. I am so glad to hear that you have your master's degree so that you will be able to get a decent position. I would be furious in your situation. You have to do what you have to do and he needs to do the same.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:49 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,229,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
This is a bit of a straw man argument. I help my high schoolers with their homework. But I don't do the work for them.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:54 AM

8,086 posts, read 10,107,307 times
After YOU complete the course, do you get a raise?

(Whatsamatter with your husband? He should be ashamed).

Old 08-29-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So it's OK as long as her payoff is good enough?
Yes, because it is perfectly legal.

Ethics and morals are relative. Anybody can say anything is unethical.

The examples I used above (managers, professors) is perfectly acceptable and few people consider it unethical.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Cheating is taking tests for them,
I didn't read anything about taking tests for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology