Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 09:08 PM

8 posts, read 39,345 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am writing an essay for graduate school in social work. One of the questions that must be addressed in the essay is as follows: What is the most critical contemporary social issue to be addressed by professional social workers?

I have searched on the internet for some answers, but they are not very clear. I was wondering if anyone has any information (websites or written responses) regarding this question?

Thank you so much for all your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 08:24 AM

83 posts, read 114,100 times
Honestly, that reads as an opinion question to me (I'm in the second year of my MSW program). What do you feel is the most critical contemporary social issue? (poverty, racism, homelessness, substance abuse, intimate partner violence, education, etc). Really reflect on what social issue you think is most important and write about that and your justifications - using data and facts to support your reasoning. A case could be made for many different social issues, depending on your line of thinking.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:48 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
The thing which keeps us mentally healthy is interaction with other people - talking, touching, etc.

I know a family of two parents and two kids who rarely talk to each other. Each has his/her own TV (4 TV's) and each is in front of that watching TV, playing video games, or doing something on a cell phone.

Then there is an 19 year old I know... He will do everything in his power to text communications instead of talking on the phone.

And then I know a couple of young kids who are not familiar with roadside sights in their area including a landmark shopping mall. That is because they are always looking at their video games when being driven around town - they never look out the car window and what is going by!

Old 09-02-2013, 10:08 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillB162 View Post
Hello, I am writing an essay for graduate school in social work. One of the questions that must be addressed in the essay is as follows: What is the most critical contemporary social issue to be addressed by professional social workers?

I have searched on the internet for some answers, but they are not very clear. I was wondering if anyone has any information (websites or written responses) regarding this question?

It sounds like you're looking for a "right or wrong" answer, but IMO this is more of an abstract question - you decide what you think it is to you and then justify why you feel that way. You are thinking too much in black and white.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:08 AM

96 posts, read 93,991 times
There is no answer to be found on the internet, because the institution expects each graduate level applicant to use their own critical thinking and research skills to customizer an answer - so they assess your skill levels.

BBB

Old 09-04-2013, 01:37 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I have helped 2 friends pass their LSCW exams.

Critical thinking, yup.

If we are all rats in a cage...live in NYC a while and you'll see
that's what we are....now what is the No. 1 thing that would help us all
get along better or even happily?

Unless, you don't think that is an imp social issue?
Sorry, it is the way I see it....on every level...in the ER, in traffic, at the bank, in the home,
in business, in marriages...
What is the most imp factor for all of us to get along in crowded situations?
A crowd being 50 or just one other person. So critical the trickle down effect would
hit everywhere...ha, even in TEENS!

Or another way to put it...What is the No. 1 thing you wish every single person on this
Planet would do or practice or learn or even feel?

Good luck kiddo.

Added: And this social issue could ease drinking, fighting, drug use, embarrassment, misunderstandings,
low self esteem, anger, stress...and I'm not talking about any religious type thing, either...like
just saying "Love"....this is an essay for social work. Tho, love or experiencing God
Could do wonders!! Haha!

Old 09-05-2013, 12:48 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:

The profession of social work will never solve the problems of humanity. It's too far inside the box. It splits all of these social issues into separate categories. The ultimate solution is a spiritual one (and I don't mean organized religion).

Old 09-05-2013, 01:19 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
You may noit like this, but if you are in grad school and you need to solict information to complete an assignment on line...maybe a critical review of your own inability to do a simple assignment is merited.

Last edited by jasper12; 09-05-2013 at 01:20 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-05-2013, 04:44 AM

936 posts, read 2,060,440 times
Quote:

Umm....this is for graduate school, right? Shouldn't you be able to find an important contemporary social issue on your own by now? You know...rather than having to ask a bunch of strangers to do your thinking for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology