Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:40 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,044 times

Advertisements

The day was when you never saw people hug each other except from a long absence from one another or a close family member at a funeral or something like that. Then when the middle east started to become shown on TV I noticed a lot of arabs hugged. It was strange to see men hug but now one sees it often in America. Both men and women hugging. Is hugging a trend or what? I personally don't care for it from anyone. Its like a hand shake that can mean nothing. I mean a person would really have to love someone to hug them I would think. But if they are just friends why hug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 10:12 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
hugging?! oh no...that happened to me at a business meeting today and I thought the guy was wrestling me so I put an arm-bar on him and drove his head into the conference room table. He was still out cold when I excused myself to go to the bathroom but I never went back.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:13 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,271 times
Hi...some people seem to like to hug almost everyone...I reserve hugging for those im pretty close to. In the mid east oart of the world including Israel, its the norm for men and women to greet with a hug followed by a kiss on each cheek.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:51 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Nobody hugs me.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:11 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Actually you're right, it does seem more common among the younger generation, like among friends and stuff.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:17 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
The day was when you never saw people hug each other except from a long absence from one another or a close family member at a funeral or something like that. Then when the middle east started to become shown on TV I noticed a lot of arabs hugged. It was strange to see men hug but now one sees it often in America. Both men and women hugging. Is hugging a trend or what? I personally don't care for it from anyone. Its like a hand shake that can mean nothing. I mean a person would really have to love someone to hug them I would think. But if they are just friends why hug.
Americans see an "ick factor" in almost all human interactions having to do with the body. And the last decade has seen that escalate to proportions beyond what I remember in the 1950's. Interesting to have lived long enough to see this develop, especially in a society where sexual permissiveness and violence against persons now seem more ubiquitous than the hot dog. Nice irony that.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:52 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I don't like it. It's just another one of the many fad behaviors. There are sheep who follow the crowd because they fear if they don't, they won't be accepted and fit in. The hugging thing is as phony as the fad of the pretend kissing on each side of the face.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:17 AM

513 posts, read 736,560 times
Default I don't care for it

A few years ago I was dating a man with a teenage son. I had met one of the son's friends just once in passing and one day the son and this friend of his were going to his room and met me in the hallway. He reached out, grabbed me and hugged me. I instinctively pulled back and later my boyfriend said that my action embarrassed him. ("What did you think he was going to do--that was so unfriendly?!") This kid was 6 feet tall and much bigger overall than me and it was just a reaction to feeling surprised and "cornered."

Old 09-11-2013, 06:15 AM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Yes, back in the old days you just shook hands. Then the younger people started shaking hands by using that different handshake that "hip" people use. So then I had to eye someone to see if they were hip enough to shake hands the new way or the old way. Now, if one is unsure, or if they are trying to bridge the generation gap, they shake hand the old way and before they let go they turn it into one of those new handshakes. Now people hug. You have to check others out first to see if other people are hugging, then it's ok. All of this is fine and well, but if people get into kissing I'm outta here, unless I'm being introduced to a group of fashion models, in which case I'm up for anything.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:23 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Are you homophobic? Outside of the US it is common to see people of the same sex hugging, holding hands, arms on each others shoulders and kissing the left & right facial cheek. Its all signs of friendship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology