Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 08:04 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times

Advertisements

It keeps people thin.

No surprise when smoking declined in America, obesity became a major problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 01:52 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
because we are going to die anyway?
It's not just about living longer. It's about the quality of life you have while you're living. Being a non-smoker generally gives you more of both.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:55 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
It was the hardest thing to quit but glad I did!!,,, I don't know why it feels good,,, and of course you look cool at that age,,, but honestly,,, guess with all those pills they make they can't make you stop drinking, overeating, smoking or drugs short of a lobotomy or sewing your mouth shut

Old 12-26-2013, 09:14 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
It's different now than it used to be because today cigarettes are not just tobacco with "tar and nicotine," but include HUNDREDS of additives that are toxic and addictive. When I was growing up in the fifties and sixties, there were actually commercials on TV which showed cigarettes as being "good for you" and "relaxing."

Many people smoked. There was no info promoted that smoking was negative or bad. People even smoked in cars full of kids with the windows rolled up, after birth in the hospital, while nursing, etc. Hospital workers and patients were allowed to smoke in the hospital!

Fast-forward to now when there is plenty of info that smoking is bad for you: I have no idea . . . super dumb people?

Old 12-26-2013, 09:57 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
May I shock you even further?

Having just read Tobacco, A Cultural History Of How Tobacco Seduced The World, by Iain Gately, back in the heavy smoking days in England, you'd even find kids as young as 7 smoking cigarettes, and mothers would pack a pipe with tobacco for their kids to take to school with them every day, and they'd smoke with their teachers!

Old 12-27-2013, 09:31 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
I remember working at a job in the late 80's where the supervisors sat in the middle of the room and smoked. This was in an office building that had windows that could not be opened. There was a constant haze that permeated the room.

Its mind-boggling now to envision such a thing.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:48 AM

Im glad we are changing, they still trying to keep smoking out of the clubs,,, bars,,, but I still see alot of that

Old 12-30-2013, 09:02 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
It's still very prevalent among the lower classes. I work a minimum wage job and all my co-workers are heavy drinkers, drug users, and smokers. I suppose it's a way of escaping working a crappy menial job and forgetting about the stress and uncertainty of a poverty lifestyle.

I don't smoke or do drugs, but I admit I am getting addicted to hookers.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I'm not even sure if this is the right category for this, but I'll give it a shot.

I don't understand why people still smoke despite the knowledge behind the damage that it can do to our bodies. Not only is it harmful to ourselves, but it is harmful to those around us. Also to add, smoking is an expensive habit. I'm in college and I'm shocked to see the amount of kids in the designated smoking areas. The cons outweigh the pros, so why would you do it (I have the same philosophy for drinking).
Why? Because almost every smoker began as a stupid kid. I was 15, looked like 12, and it looked cool and grownup. I regret that I ever started. I quit at 40 and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. It's been nearly 21 years since I quit and very occasionally I still want one. I won't have one though as I like breathing.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
It's still very prevalent among the lower classes. I work a minimum wage job and all my co-workers are heavy drinkers, drug users, and smokers. I suppose it's a way of escaping working a crappy menial job and forgetting about the stress and uncertainty of a poverty lifestyle.

I don't smoke or do drugs, but I admit I am getting addicted to hookers.
yea the higher classes -smoking weed or snorting coke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology