Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2013, 12:31 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,300 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago I was on jury duty and I almost went insane in boredom. At first I thought it was going to be interesting but after a couple of hours watching extremely detailed complex testimony I started counting the minutes to the lunch break and then eventually the end of the days testimony.

This went on for five days before the trial ended in a plea deal, so all our efforts went to waste.

I asked the other people if they got restless or not and everyone I talked to said no. They had no trouble sitting in one place in an incredibly hard chair for 8 hours listening to someone else talk with no participation on my part other than listening.

Would you be bored, or restless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 04:44 PM

544 posts, read 610,637 times
Hmm... I think you forgot what school is. And people wonder why school is outdated, nothing but a prison, and ruins creativity.

No, I hate listening to other people talk, and I hate doing stuff I don't want to do.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:43 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
A few weeks ago I was on jury duty and I almost went insane in boredom. At first I thought it was going to be interesting but after a couple of hours watching extremely detailed complex testimony I started counting the minutes to the lunch break and then eventually the end of the days testimony.

This went on for five days before the trial ended in a plea deal, so all our efforts went to waste.

I asked the other people if they got restless or not and everyone I talked to said no. They had no trouble sitting in one place in an incredibly hard chair for 8 hours listening to someone else talk with no participation on my part other than listening.

With jury duty? I've been on it twice now, and I find it fascinating, so no, I am not bored when I go. I think of it as a nice vacation from my job.

Having said that, just listening to someone else prattle on endlessly, (typically about themselves), yes, I do get bored. Unfortunately, I was one who was taught to sit and listen, and not interrupt....so if I'm with a group of people, and one of them is the non stop talker, I have discovered that everyone else has grown bored and starts having their own conversations, or they get up to get a drink, or whatever, and I'm the one stuck with the Chatty Cathy doll.

I would LOVE to be able to start ignoring them, as well, but I wasn't raised that way, and then, I start to feel guilty that I would leave that person hanging....I know it's stupid, but it makes me feel bad, no matter how incredibly bored I am with them.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:03 PM

20,019 posts, read 13,496,411 times
I only actually did jury duty once, I was the jury foreman on a burglary case. It was one of those deals where it was pretty obvious the guy was terribly guilty of SOMETHING even if technically the evidence for what he was on trail for was a little weak. We ended up convicting him although not on all counts. I found it an interesting experience although I always chafe at the impertinence of someone putting you in what amounts to indentured servitude, taking you away from work and family, etc. Yeah, I know it's supposedly some great civic duty and privilege but if it's so great, people should be fully compensated for their trouble. Put your money where your mouth is. Another high-minded idea that society won't actually bother to do right. That is far more my problem with it than simple boredom.

Another time I was called for jury duty on yet another burglary case. Ironically this time I was disqualified based on my answer to the question, "have you ever been robbed and if so how did you feel?" My answer: yes, and I felt violated. Proved that I couldn't be objective, I guess. I wished them luck finding people who felt good about being robbed.

Actually being called for jury duty, sitting around all day, and then going through a tedious jury selection process is far more boring than the actual trial, in my limited experience.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:20 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post

I can imagine it may get boring; however, I would ask myself how I'd want a jury member to pay attention if I were on trial.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:14 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,293,496 times
I learn more quickly than others. Most people need to learn by doing step A, then B, then C, etc.

It keeps my attention best to go from step A to step C - no need to mention step B. I quickly get bored if someone is talking about each and every step.

Anyway I am surprised they picked you for the jury! Usually they don't want any intelligent people on the jury. Then they can't tell them what to think!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology