Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 09:53 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times

Advertisements

Part of the reasons many Americans are fat is lack of exercise. When gas costs $7+ gallon in Europe people walk more.

I don't even know of any of my European family where there are 2 cars to a household. Some none esp. if they live close to public transportation.

The other issue is many Americans, esp those in 4 season climates, have huge homes compared to any European. Point being is people get cabin fever in Europe in the winter and go outside walk to get fresh air, many homes here are so big cabin fever isn't as much as issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 10:10 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Part of the reasons many Americans are fat is lack of exercise. When gas costs $7+ gallon in Europe people walk more.

I don't even know of any of my European family where there are 2 cars to a household. Some none esp. if they live close to public transportation.

The other issue is many Americans, esp those in 4 season climates, have huge homes compared to any European. Point being is people get cabin fever in Europe in the winter and go outside walk to get fresh air, many homes here are so big cabin fever isn't as much as issue.
True, very true. My town isn't very pedestrian friendly. Hardly any sidewalks, but I do live across the street from a mountain with a several walking trails.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:11 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
My father's side all grew up obese; my dad shot up from being able to wear my mother's 26" or so pants to 405 lbs (184 kg), then back down to about 280 lbs (127 kg), at which he actually looked great, and then back up again. At least he was 6'0; my 4'11" aunt was at a similar weight until bariatric surgery took care of that. My uncle got that a few years after her.

We have struggled with our weight to, with often wild fluctuations. When I was 19, I reached my peak of 251; recovering from brain surgery three and a half years later I was 185. I find a strict monitoring program works best.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:41 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its only one type of distortion. lots of people walk around saying "im not so bad". if u say it enough, it begins to seem true.
The media doesn't help, either. The euphemisms for "fat" are getting ridiculous.

A Few Extra Pounds
Ample
Big
Cuddly
Curvy
Full-Figured
Heavy
Husky
Large
Matronly
Plump
Plus-Sized
Portly
Queen-Sized
Rubenesque
Stocky
Stout
More To Love
Voluptuous
Zaftig

Old 11-30-2013, 11:43 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Zaft? Yes in this area political correctness is very harmful. I support funding PE and whatever sport kids want to play. Off the X box back to Nerf in the street

Old 12-01-2013, 05:15 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
The media doesn't help, either. The euphemisms for "fat" are getting ridiculous.

A Few Extra Pounds
Ample
Big
Cuddly
Curvy
Full-Figured
Heavy
Husky
Large
Matronly
Plump
Plus-Sized
Portly
Queen-Sized
Rubenesque
Stocky
Stout
More To Love
Voluptuous
Zaftig
What do these words have to do with the media?

Husky is even an old school term from retail in the 1950's. You never even hear most of the words you pasted here except:

Plus-Sized which is a CLOTHING SIZE CATEGORY in retail and modeling/fashion.
Curvy and Full figured which don't mean "fat". Now CURVY is BAD?

Matronly was always an ageist comment not a size comment.
Rubenesque is a NEW THING? Oh right. Since circa 1640.

Voluptuous never meant FAT.

50 Most Voluptuous Women in Sports | Bleacher Report

But we get it. Men think anybody who isn't emaciated is fat. And prefer a boy body with implants to the real thing.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:41 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
When I see someone who is really obese I think they eat too much and don't exercise. That's my knee jerk reaction. I know a few of these people actually have something medically wrong with them though.

Their obesity puts them at risk for all kinds of health problems that WE end up paying for and that makes me mad. I feel really sad when I see obese kids because that's what the parents are teaching them--eating bad food, not getting exercise. They will grow up to be fat adults.

It's messed up all the clothing sizes. Medium used to be a 10-12 in womens clothing. I don't even know what it is any more now that we have 4X, 5X. Very few people have a good excuse for being that big, it's the fast food and the soda and desserts plus lack of exercise.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:42 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,266 times
Since this is posted in the psychology forum, I'm going to add my 2 cents with that in mind.

I believe that you can look at an obese person the same way you look at an alcoholic, drug addict, shopping addict, hoarder, and the like. They are overdoing something in order to cover up feelings that are too uncomfortable to feel.

And thus, the only solution to all of these issues is psychological (and spiritual), not physical. Physical solutions may and sometimes do work in the short term, but long term the person who hasn't dealt with the emotional part of it will go right back to where they were.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:54 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
Since this is posted in the psychology forum, I'm going to add my 2 cents with that in mind.

I believe that you can look at an obese person the same way you look at an alcoholic, drug addict, shopping addict, hoarder, and the like. They are overdoing something in order to cover up feelings that are too uncomfortable to feel.

And thus, the only solution to all of these issues is psychological (and spiritual), not physical. Physical solutions may and sometimes do work in the short term, but long term the person who hasn't dealt with the emotional part of it will go right back to where they were.
I think that was more true in the past. The people really did have a problem. But now such a huge % is obese that I think over eating has just become a way of life. You go to a restaurant and the portions are so huge that a normal person has to take half of it home (but has to PAY extra for the huge portion that they don't even want). People drink soda and in the past soda was reserved for parties or special events, now people are drinking soda, and even more than one soda every day. Dessert used to be fruit, now it's some ice cream concoction and a lot of people just have to have it.

Part of it is brainwashing from the media--advertising this junk food and that junk food. Then, on tv, they show fat people as if it is normal. I don't think most of these people are depressed or have a problem, they are just in the habit of over eating as if it is normal. It is not normal.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:15 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
I feel more pity for them than condemnation. I mean, sure you could say it was their own fault, but I mean lack of self-control is partly genetic (as is addiction). Not that it's an excuse, but you seriously must have a bigger appetite than most to get that big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology