Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 02:39 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times

Advertisements

As Dorothy Parker remarked "It's the standard of living."

Real estate, and other major purchases are gonna take these people their whole lives to pay off. You're seeing just the beginning.

So much for grampa's 2500 sq ft house with 3 car garage, ski-doo, boat, two cars, and two huge refrigerators (just to mention a few things). Buh bye to that.

I actually predict that many big box houses will be converted to four plexes in the next 20 yrs or less. Everything points in that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 03:05 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
As Dorothy Parker remarked "It's the standard of living."

Real estate, and other major purchases are gonna take these people their whole lives to pay off. You're seeing just the beginning.

So much for grampa's 2500 sq ft house with 3 car garage, ski-doo, boat, two cars, and two huge refrigerators (just to mention a few things). Buh bye to that.

I actually predict that many big box houses will be converted to four plexes in the next 20 yrs or less. Everything points in that direction.
Yeah, that's basically the "tl;dr" version of my prior post. Young people are able to compare standards of living.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:10 PM

914 posts, read 943,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post

Both sets (local & bigger picture) of uoung adults/gen Y today, aka the parents of the young adults of the future, realise that their children will be experiencing a lower standard of living than they did growing up. Young adults, now taking so long to get off the ground & out of their parents' houses, wonder how they could hope to provide as they were provided for. This fear ranges from the relative frivolities like Christmas presents, vacations, and cars in high school to more substantial concerns such as k-12 educational opportunities, college ( the cost of which is still rising at a dreadful rate), housing, healthcare, and other expenses. Faced with having less to offer, they needlessly express concern on how they could offer a happy childhood that unlocks fair opportunities in a world that will likely be more, not less, competitive than today's.
This is one of a few reasons I chose to remain unmarried and childless. I'm the 42-year old spinster, renting the upstairs of mom's house, living there and running my business out of there...and thusly, on hand for when Mom may one day need a little help, as she is getting no younger, and Dad died long ago...and she has no other family within about 1,000 miles.

In fact, we are about to move out of state next year, and Mom is coming with me...this time, it will be ME buying the home, and Mom living with me. So this is a situation where I have CHOSEN to stay at home. I lived out on my own for ten years in my mid 20's till my mid 30's.

But I was always terrified I would be unable to keep stable employment, and thus adequately provide for children. Therefore, the only children I have had are my canine kids. But I'm okay with that.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:18 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
So these figures are posted as a POSITIVE?

You missed the most glaring statistic:

69% of voters ages 18-29 favor an expanded role for government, agreeing that it should do more to solve problems. Young Voters in the 2008 Election People-Press.

Good luck with that one.
There are several statistics that I missed. Why is that an issue? Just because you disagree doesn't mean it's wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
Nice to see a Gen Y. with a positive attitude!
Until about a year ago, I despaired for Gen Y....
and thought they really should have been called "Gen WHY"

Then I went to my church's annual General Assembly.
As the only member of my congregation there...I decided to experience as many things as I could...different things...whether or not they were of immediate interest to me. In short, I wanted to be a sponge that brought back to my church...a little something for everyone.

That is how I, a 42 year old single woman with no children...wound up in one of the Youth seminars.

And I was surrounded by bright, intelligent, aware, socially active Gen Y'ers...and for the first time in my life I felt okay about Gen Y.

And I think it is because too often, the older generation passes judgement on the younger without ever really listening to them, or getting to know them. We Gen Xer's got the same treatment from our Baby Boomer parents.

And I swore I wouldn't be like them. But it's easy to fall into that trap!

The kids I met and spoke with, and listened to from my church, when I was in Louisville...really gave me hope for the future generation for the first time.

Nice to see your positive attitude, and can-do spirit, Gen Y'er!!
Yay! It's nice to have a positive response from a Gen. X! Thank you!!!

I truly believe that America will be back on track 20 years from now. We need to bring back jobs that you work your way up to. For instance, my brother is a hands-on learning. School means nothing for him. So, he's probably going to be a plumber; although, he'd prefer doing something with computers. He can build computers, fix them, etc. but he'll have to go to school for that, which is something he isn't willing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
would love to see how we differ with the same research quoting the "baby boomers" percentages- I did a test once and was considered a millenial yet closing 61?
I know it's kind of cheesy, but my biggest goal in life is to be a wife. If I don't have kids, that's okay. But I really want to have a partner-in-crime.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:32 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
I tend to think these little generational disputes are profoundly stupid. To me it's kind of like high school where each generation represents a class of students (seniors, juniors, sophmores and freshmen). And just like high school the freshmen are treated like scrubs. Well as of right now the millenials are the freshman. But there was a time when generation X was the freshmen and the boomers were once freshmen too and the preceding generations before them thought that they were leading society to hell. The one main reason for this constant generational dispute is simple, the succeeding generation is different from its predecessors. They have different taste in music, fashion and sometimes beliefs. And at the end of the day, people are wary of those who are different.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:28 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I tend to think these little generational disputes are profoundly stupid. To me it's kind of like high school where each generation represents a class of students (seniors, juniors, sophmores and freshmen). And just like high school the freshmen are treated like scrubs. Well as of right now the millenials are the freshman. But there was a time when generation X was the freshmen and the boomers were once freshmen too and the preceding generations before them thought that they were leading society to hell. The one main reason for this constant generational dispute is simple, the succeeding generation is different from its predecessors. They have different taste in music, fashion and sometimes beliefs. And at the end of the day, people are wary of those who are different.
I'd rep you twice if I could.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:01 PM

914 posts, read 943,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post

Yay! It's nice to have a positive response from a Gen. X! Thank you!!!

I truly believe that America will be back on track 20 years from now. We need to bring back jobs that you work your way up to. For instance, my brother is a hands-on learning. School means nothing for him. So, he's probably going to be a plumber; although, he'd prefer doing something with computers. He can build computers, fix them, etc. but he'll have to go to school for that, which is something he isn't willing to do.

I know it's kind of cheesy, but my biggest goal in life is to be a wife. If I don't have kids, that's okay. But I really want to have a partner-in-crime.
It's nice to see some positive examples of Gen. Y. Seriously, I had despaired of your generation...until that seminar earlier this summer, in Louisville, KY...when I was exposed to a roomful of bight, serious, well-behaved, well-humored, active and vital youth who had a real social consciousness, and a drive and desire to do some good for their communities and their world.

I'd like to share your optimism for the future of America, not sure I can quite put on those rose-colored glasses just yet...although there are a few promising signs that we may yet achieve a gentler, fairer nation where hard work actually pays, and nobody goes without life's basic necessities.

If your brother would like to work with computers, and school isn't his thing...and he's a hands-on person, may I recommend he intern with a computer-repair shop locally? I did this, when I lived in Louisville in the late 90's. I needed Internet access and a fax machine to conduct job searches from...and a friend of a friend who ran a computer shop allowed me to use his equipment in shop...in exchange for helping him on some repairs - at first minor, and later, more complex. I am hands-on learned, and can take apart and fully re-assemble any tower computer, and I'm not too bad with laptops, either, though I have less experience with them.

I'm not very good with software or networking, but with hardware, I am very good.

and there's nothing wrong with having a goal to be a wife.
Being a wife just never was very high on my priority list. I liked my independence far too much, and I'd had a bad relationship with my alcoholic father, and watched him grind my mother down...I wasn't too eager to follow that path.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:15 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
I'm 50, and in my lifetime there has NEVER been a period exceeding 6 months where the national employment situation was so bad that personable, intelligent kids of Middle Class families with college degrees didn't have any hope of getting a job in their fields, or any jobs with hope of advancement or decent pay.

For the past 5 years I have watched EVERY young adult in my extended family graduate with huge student debt ($50-80,000), including one nurse who graduated this last June, only to find NO jobs in their field.

This is a catastrophic and fundamental change in America. Had these young adults graduated any time in the past, they would be well on their way to owning homes and raising families, with great careers ahead of the them.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:39 PM

87 posts, read 190,583 times
People who believe this stuff don't actually talk to the younger generation outside of their family. Being the psych forum, the common outlook maybe a projection from the parents. That the parents are telling them their future is bleak thus they have a bleak perspective. Much like the generation before telling youth the need to go to college for a toilet paper degree. So kids go to college with no drive, direction or even a simple goal. Something to think about.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:53 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
why not look at history... too many folks with no where to go- they invent a war- too many old people" somehow now there is a bad "bug" yep- just like the animal kingdom there will be checks and balances - even in the bible -years of famine and year of plenty. I did the best I could to teach my kids to go out and make a dollar, and try to teach the grands what I can - or at least give them an example and some sort of legacy to follow,,, but they will live their own lives their own way, and they will make it. just as we did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology