Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 11:34 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Well you don't see anyone advising women with excessive body hair to "own it". They are expected to do something about it. OP get going on using hair growth/maintenance products and when needed do the research for hair restoration and go for it. No one has to be bald if they do not want to be.

I don't know if that's a good comparison. Is it as common for women to gain excessive body hair as they age as it is for men to lose hair? Are a higher % of men turned off by women with excessive body hair than women are for balding men. A minority of women are actually turned on bald men. Are there any men with a preference for women with a lot of body hair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 11:47 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
Anderson Cooper's hair is thin. You think he'd look better if he shaved his head? I guarantee you that if he shaved his head at the first sign of thinning, he'd never have a job as a news reporter in the first place, and women wouldn't fawn over him. The difference between Anderson Cooper having a hairdo that frames his face and Anderson Cooper having a dome, is the difference between him being considered a silver fox and being considered a creepy old guy.
I'm surprised you of all people would use that example. You do know he's gay, right?

Old 01-06-2014, 12:03 PM

170 posts, read 373,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
What about age 30 when those pecks slide down to become a beer belly?

Or as you get older, wrinkles, grey hair, loose skin? (As my neighbor says, the "Droops and Sags"!)
A beer belly is something you can prevent. Grey hair is easily covered up, but you don't even need to, because it doesn't make your face look any different; it subtracts from your youthfulness, but not your overall handsomeness (A male's attractiveness isn't tied up in how youthful he looks). Wrinkles and loose skin don't stand out in men until at least middle age, unless they're lifelong smokers or previously-fat men who are now super thin.

The thing about hair loss is that it can hit you as early as high school and it radically alters your facial appearance for the worse. If you lose all your hair, you don't look like "you" anymore. Take Leonardo Dicaprio and photoshop his hair grey; he still looks like "Leonardo Dicaprio" to everyone. Take Leonardo Dicapro and photoshop a bald head on him; he now looks like a totally different person.

Christopher Hitchens was already half-bald and holding on to a few clumps of hair before he underwent chemotherapy, but at least the remaining hair on his head was able to give him a decent look before he had to lose it all. See the difference for yourself.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:03 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Get some clippers and buzz it. Then start working out like a real man and grow some muscles.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:21 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
I started shaving my entire head early 20s. Never regretted it. Being totally bald has been a godsend in dating.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:30 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Your anxiety about baldness is way worse than being bald. It's way sexier to shave your head and own it than to be in denial.
Think: Patrick Stewart. Who, by the way, thought that his acting career was finished when he went totally bald by, IIRC, age 25. He found out otherwise, of course. He was an acclaimed Shakespearian actor even before he was selected for the Star Trek franchise.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:36 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times

I think you're in serious trouble.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:37 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
I have been slowly balding since my mid 40's and have never given it a second thought. I see all these commercials for hair replacement and am aware that it must be a source of great anxiety to somebody somewhere but I really don't get it.

Bald is just a look, and people can decide it's sexy, or not. Just like they have always been able to decide that me with full hair is sexy or not. There's no accounting for taste, so why obsess about it?

Old 01-06-2014, 03:11 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I have been slowly balding since my mid 40's and have never given it a second thought. I see all these commercials for hair replacement and am aware that it must be a source of great anxiety to somebody somewhere but I really d
Bald is just a look, and people can decide it's sexy, or not. Just like they have always been able to decide that me with full hair is sexy or not. There's no accounting for taste, so why obsess about it?

So there are balding guys filled with anxiety over it and then there are guys like you and I who it doesn't bother. My question is do the anxiety prone speak for us all? Do people assume every balding guy is stressed out and miserable over it?

Last edited by Jay F; 01-06-2014 at 03:48 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 03:24 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Let me share with you a little story, OP.

I worked on Wall Street...in bulge bracket trading rooms. There is NOTHING that is sacred to that bunch of super type A, testosterone fueled animals. Nothing. They will pick apart their own mother for a laugh, a tease, or a chance to denigrate a person in the name of 'humor'.

So, I had a guy who worked for me....30'ish....and he had this 'thing' on his head where his hair used to be. A 'piece' . A 'rug'. I don't know what you call it, but when you talked with him, it was like talking to a woman who had her hooters poking in your face. No matter what you were talking about, you ended up looking at the 'piece' thinking 'what the hell is that thing on your head'? Traders rode him constantly, but he endured with it.

One morning after a couple of years of this, he called me from the lobby and said I am coming up. You all have five minutes to take your best shot, and then I will rip the head off of anyone who says a word. Immediately I knew: the piece was gone!

He came up, walked in...and wow! He looked like a MAN. a REAL man. That stupid thing was gone; his head was clean, and he had a powerful aura about him. The only thing the animals said to him was to applaud him for 'coming out' and showing us the real person.

I asked him, why? Why did you wear that rug when you knew that everyone was laughing at you thinking he was a loser, and a real dork. OP, he told me YOUR story. He was vain; his hair was going, and he went to people who told him what a loser he was, how he wasn't virile without his hair; how he wasn't a MAN without his hair--all sorts of BS in order to get him to buy a rug. THEY made him feel SO self conscious that he forked out thousands, took a huge amount of ridicule, and was perceived as a loser because he wouldn't let his real person step forward.

You can figure out the moral of the story, OP. Don't be an a$$hole. Real Men don't worry about their hair (and I don't think real women do either).

PS> don't be a pudgy old man and resort to a comb over. It look ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology