Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 06:01 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,596,528 times

Advertisements

I was kicked in the side of the head by a horse once. It made me stop and think about how close I had just come for a few minutes. Then I got back to work.

Thing is. Yes life is 100% fatal. At some point you really face the fact head on that your existence is finite and that can be a little unsettling. Don't let it hold you back from living life though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 06:21 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,840,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
I was kicked in the side of the head by a horse once. It made me stop and think about how close I had just come for a few minutes. Then I got back to work.

Thing is. Yes life is 100% fatal. At some point you really face the fact head on that your existence is finite and that can be a little unsettling. Don't let it hold you back from living life though.
I don't need to be reminded about that, I think about it all the time and it does make me miserable. The brevity of life and all that....:/

Old 01-18-2014, 06:24 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,939,325 times
Yep, pulled out my car in traffic and clearly should of been hit. Went into dream world and suddenly I came out alive.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:52 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Wow. Do you think these experiences have made you more prepared for death, like getting a taste of it, or or more fearful of it/traumatised?
Yes I've found most the time it is very quiet and peaceful. Last time I figured if I went I couldn't have asked for a better way I was in and out of it but no pain. Even with pain it gets to a point where you go into shock and black out.

Like I was telling a person yesterday, in ways it's hard to hold a dyeing person in your arms telling them it's ok to let go but know they are in a better place and it's part of life. I did this with my Baby Sister two years ago. I also had the pleasure of going through my other Baby Sister dealing with Cancer until the end. They had her so drugged up at the last she was tripping on the drugs and no pain. She went peaceful.

brushrunner

Old 01-18-2014, 07:38 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,476,981 times
BTW, I'm convinced that we each have certain parts of the world, cities, latitudes, whatever, that are just more "dangerous" for us, than others. For example there are a couple places, not inherently 'unsafe' on their own, but where I've had too many "close calls" of one sort or another, and where I seem to "attract" certain kinds of stuff. So maybe it's just my own 'superstition', but have learned to trust my intuition, place it safe and just steer clear of those spots altogether!

http://savvytraveler.publicradio.org...24/astro.shtml

Old 01-18-2014, 07:40 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,470,688 times
I am fairly sure all of us are going to die.
Pondering that from time to time can be both comforting and very upsetting.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:53 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,132,050 times
I was almost hit by a drunk driver one night while crossing a bridge on a part of the FL Barge Canal that was a two lane road. They were driving up the bridge in the wrong lane, my lane... and I had seconds to turn into the other lane and no time to really think about it. Just do it. If someone had been driving in that other lane, it would have been a three car pile up on that bridge. Very close call, and it made me appreciate life a bit more too.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:51 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,396,872 times
My hubby thought I was going to die three times last year.

I was on life support and knew nothing about it.

I had been in a car accident two mouths prior to this....though other than minor things we thought that I was not hurt.

Now we know I paralyzed my diaphragm on the left side....that was from the seat belt and air bag.

What would happen is I did not give off my CO as I exhaled......so I would get real sick....not know a thing for weeks.

This changed my life......but, as far as dying I have no fear now.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:04 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,581,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Thanks for stating the obvious, anyone here got ersonal experiences rather than 'home truths'?
Perhaps English isn't your first language, in which case you probably meant to write "thought you were about to die" not "were going to die.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:16 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,840,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Perhaps English isn't your first language, in which case you probably meant to write "thought you were about to die" not "were going to die.
And what is wrong with 'thought you were going to die?'

Yes English is my first language, what a random thing to question...are you an self-styled English teacher or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology