Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 11:42 AM

102,240 posts, read 108,130,790 times

Advertisements

Funny, I thought it was men who tended to be the shallow ones. Men generally go for looks in women, while women are more interested in personality and the whole person when selecting a mate. Many men can be happy married to an airhead as long as she looks "hot". Few women can do that. They need to be with their intellectual equals. And how many guys on dates never ask their date anything about herself--what makes her tick, what her interests and values are, how she came to have those values and her outlook on life?

Jeez. Get real, OP.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:42 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
lol, how are you Miss Hepburn?
Hope you remember me. Also hope I didn't offend you in any way. I am curious and it wasn't my
intention to hurt any feelings.
Hi rishi, my young buddy,
Since I have been both sexes....either everything offends me or nothing offends me.
I go with nothing;
that's the benefit of not identifying with this temporary meat suit.
I know you understand...because you are a rishi.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:46 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
..but men are more likely to complete suicide, in part because they are less likely to
ask for help and tend to have smaller social networks.
Very astute observation!!

Old 01-26-2014, 12:37 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,642,739 times
Quote:
What I am trying to get at is that there is a massive difference in the way both genders approach life. Always has been and perhaps always will be. I just read another thread on suicide and I found it so true- men are much prone to be depressed, be pissed off, be angry. Angry at the state of the world, musing over philosophical quandaries and worrying. Women, for the most part couldn't care less it seems.
So what you're saying is that men are more emotionally unstable than women, more fragile, less resilient in adapting to the stresses in their environment than women are... and you want to know what's wrong with women?

Old 01-26-2014, 12:47 PM

155 posts, read 274,981 times
The premise is a bit much. But starting there I would observe that women generally have their feet more firmly planted in daily life. If that equals not deep, go with it. But then if you look at men reporting to work, settled in a routine (Archie Bunker coming through the door home from work Meathead slapping the beer into his hand), you don't see a lot of deep thinking there either. The notion might have a bit to it, but not much. A good place to start some thinking on the topic though. But in today's PC world, forget about using this as a discussion starter in English 1A!

Old 01-26-2014, 12:58 PM

88,680 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Wow.
What an absolutely asinine, presumptuous post.
Lol if I actually wanted to,
I'd be offended.
Such a bunch of assumptions & ridiculous biased ideas.
You should really get out more....
find intelligent, deep women.
They do exist, lol.......
Thanks. Saved me a lot of typing.

Quite possibly in the top five of ridiculous posts I've ever read on City-Data.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Funny, I thought it was men who tended to be the shallow ones. Men generally go for looks in women, while women are more interested in personality and the whole person when selecting a mate. Many men can be happy married to an airhead as long as she looks "hot". Few women can do that. They need to be with their intellectual equals. And how many guys on dates never ask their date anything about herself--what makes her tick, what her interests and values are, how she came to have those values and her outlook on life?

Jeez. Get real, OP.
Ding ding ding. One of the most-often laments about dating I've heard in real life and read on forums. Women go out on dates and never once during the evening does the man ask her any questions about what she thinks about anything or what interests her.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:05 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,191,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thanks. Saved me a lot of typing.

Quite possibly in the top five of ridiculous posts I've ever read on City-Data.
You're welcome-
This one actually makes my top 10 list of all time dumbest threads/posts from C D. .....

Old 01-26-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Deep as in psychologically.
Come to think of it more women are inclined to be religious. That is they take things at face value. Whereas men question it.
You hardly get to meet women who are into philosophy or astronomy(many astronomy clubs I attended hardly had women, there were there but few).
Social anxiety, depression, mood swings- I don't have the stats but most of the online forums are heavily dominated by men.
Existentialist angst- the purpose of life, meaning of existence...again I hardly find any women philosopher pondering over these issues the way men have throughout history and to this day.
Lastly the college dating scene- Its as if men have to reprogram themselves to act a certain way, talk certain subjects in front of the ladies if they need any success. Which usually means talking certain subjects. If you talk about space or dinosaurs at best you'd be considered geeky, at worst creepy. And women are much much better at social things like gatherings, attending classes and all that stuff. Most guys I asked would rather stay at home(have a home gathering).

What I am trying to get at is that there is a massive difference in the way both genders approach life. Always has been and perhaps always will be. I just read another thread on suicide and I found it so true- men are much prone to be depressed, be pissed off, be angry. Angry at the state of the world, musing over philosophical quandaries and worrying. Women, for the most part couldn't care less it seems. So, from a subjective perspective which way to live happily is the right way?
You make an erroneous assumption that because someone is religious, it means they just took something at face value and didn't question it.

Many women are not religious at all. Many other women are religious but went through struggles with their faith and questioned their beliefs. Sometimes that led to atheism. Sometimes that led to a deeper spirituality. Neither means that they are shallow--but it does kind of make YOU seem shallow to so easily think you can wrap up this part of a person's life and declare it to be "X" without ever questioning it.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:01 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,471,006 times
Wow, while I wouldn't agree with the OP, now I'm kinda curious why all the "outrage" from so many women over this subject (I mean it's not like either gender has never made "generalizations" about the opposite sex before)!

Oh, and come to think of it, how come there are so few female philosophers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.