Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 04:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Badmouthing exes, mostly, is a publicly visible way of defending your own behavior during and after the relationship, when you know that you yourself bear a great deal more of the fault and blame than you are prepared to admit to and openly acknowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 06:02 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,795 times
The first thing that comes to mind when someone is always badmouthing the ex is that they haven't moved past those issues, and aren't ready for a new relationship.

When someone badmouths multiple exes, it tells me that that person has no accountability for his own choices or behavior.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
There are a couple of benches in front of my supermarket, and a few regular deadbeats who gravitate there for their socialization, no purchase necessary. I once lingered long enough to overhear a conversation, from which I learned a great deal.

One fellow mentioned that he had seen the other guy's ex the other day. A little light-hearted banter about her general character followed, when finally her ex said "Aww, she was alright. I couldn't give her what she needed, and she found someone who could. God bless her."
Quote:
. . . and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. -- "Desiderata"

Old 03-05-2014, 03:34 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Narcissists will always blame everyone but themselves. Your brother-in-law sure sounds like he's one. Your sister will never have closure if she's looking to get it from this guy. She needs to just write him off and take the high road. The sooner she excises him from her life as much as possible, the sooner she can get on with things.
It sounds like that to me as well.

If I know of someone who bad mouths their ex on a regular basis, then it probably is someone who just rather blame someone else for all their own problems. I often avoid people who have this tendency.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:38 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
People who badmouth their exes leave a bad taste in my mouth.
If only they knew it doesn't make the ex sound bad...it makes THEM sound bad...and a bit pathetic.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:50 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Narcissists will always blame everyone but themselves. Your brother-in-law sure sounds like he's one. Your sister will never have closure if she's looking to get it from this guy. She needs to just write him off and take the high road. The sooner she excises him from her life as much as possible, the sooner she can get on with things.
Speaking only for me, JrzDefector, I'd be rather more careful about glibly throwing out such serious diagnostic terms. The diagnosis of Narcissistic Personality Disorder (et al) requires far more information than has been presented so far. There are many OTHER reasons for the soon-to-be-ex-brother-in-law's behavior.

The most likely "reason" is entirely human and all-too-common. "It's not MY fault; it's YOUR fault. And your behavior left me no choice (but to behave badly)!" I see this every-danged-day in even the most well-adjusted people. Its generally how we do things...

Other possible (non-narcissistic) causes include:

* ELC ("External Locus of Control")? A definite possibility.

* Deficient self-concept? Another possibly.

Aside from this, the rest of your post is pretty much dead-on. The sister's best bet, at this point, is to watch the old boy get smaller, and smaller, and smaller in her rear-view mirror...

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

Old 03-06-2014, 05:56 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,354 times
I think that badmouthing an ex is normal behavior, in the beginning, when the break up is fresh. We're all human and we all need to vent. I don't think that just because someone badmouths an ex, that means they're automatically 100% to blame for the breakup. Some people just keep it real.

That being said, if someone is running all over the place badmouthing their ex for extended periods of time, and really going out of their way to smear the ex's reputation, that's vindictive and strange.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:21 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
I've yet to bump into anyone on this planet with angel wings!

Divorce, like murder: always 2 sets of fingerprints on the murder weapon!

And then there's the territory of Projection! You know how that goes! Projecting our worst traits on to others, oftentimes, our marriage partners!

Old 03-09-2014, 01:24 PM

43 posts, read 45,549 times
means they haven't healed properly from the relationship.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:29 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
I think that badmouthing an ex is normal behavior, in the beginning, when the break up is fresh. We're all human and we all need to vent. I don't think that just because someone badmouths an ex, that means they're automatically 100% to blame for the breakup. Some people just keep it real.

That being said, if someone is running all over the place badmouthing their ex for extended periods of time, and really going out of their way to smear the ex's reputation, that's vindictive and strange.
I think it's normal to vent to a couple people -- maybe a sibling or a friend but why would someone post things on fb or very publicly badmouth an ex?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology