Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:53 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,656 times

Advertisements

I have worked in offices for 25+ years (small, medium and large companies) and have seen it all--and I mean that quite literally. Never, not once, have I been witness to an unattractive person getting ahead faster than an attractive person--even when the less attractive person has better experience, education and credentials. This goes for both genders. Pretty girls and handsome boys go further faster. Their less attractive counterparts may catch up eventually, but not until someone more attractive goes before them. I have seen it time and time again at every level be it entry level, second tier, middle, upper and executive level positions. Actually, the higher the pay grade, it seemed that attractiveness was even more valued. (So does that mean that the affluent are more shallow than the grunt workers? Could be!)

I also believe the same to be true in non-work life. Go to any nightclub, social event, big party, convention, anywhere where there are a lot of people gathered--and notice who gets the most attention. It isn't the plain Janes or Joes and you know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 08:05 PM

4 posts, read 4,435 times
In youth, yes. Absolutely. But once everything starts to wrinkle, sag and droop, pretty people's deficiencies really start to show. The fact that they (usually) haven't had to develop an intellect or personality becomes painfully obvious when the looks fade and there's nothing substantial remaining.

Of course this is a huge generalization, but the Mean Girls and jocks of the world are often douches because they CAN be. They're popular in high school because of their looks, then they slide through their 20s on their looks, finding an equally shallow/gorgeous mate and getting hitched before 30.

But the marriage often falls apart due to narcissism, infidelity and the fact that they married so young. They may have ****ed away their college years at frat/sorority parties instead of buckling down and learning because, hey, it's worked so far, right? Social life takes precedence over studying because who wants to be a nerd?

Of course this all catches up to them as their 40s and 50s approach. This is when the guiltiness (or faux remorse) for treating "less fortunate-looking" people so badly sets in, if at all. The mid-life crisis is when it all comes crashing down for these folks. The realization that they're now just another middle-aged dud sets in and they lose it.

Again, just a generalization. But it's one I've seen play out again and again. (I'm not a bitter uggo or anything. I'd say I fall on the more attractive end of the spectrum but I never relied on my looks to get ahead at any age because that's just a foreign concept to me. Some of my pretty friends, on the other hand...)

Old 04-16-2014, 08:21 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,008,374 times
If your a woman I would say yes. For men, not necessarily.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:53 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
good looks fade with age so you better make the most of it.
So true. Burt Reynolds was still looking hot for the women even at age 50. But now at 78, he's just another old man.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:45 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times
No. I think they get along great on their looks growing up.. but when the rubber meets the road, unless they're selling pictures of themselves, it's going to be a rude awakening when the schmoozing doesn't work.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:23 PM

331 posts, read 382,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Attractiveness is according to whomever is looking at that particular person. The perceived attractive person can and does still get mugged, raped, robbed, cancer, fired, make detrimental financial decisions, become a single parent, have an accident, get a chronic disease that disables them, and dies.

In the scope of being human one's looks can help in some areas but hinder in other areas.
Good point!

Old 04-17-2014, 10:18 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I have worked in offices for 25+ years (small, medium and large companies) and have seen it all--and I mean that quite literally. Never, not once, have I been witness to an unattractive person getting ahead faster than an attractive person--even when the less attractive person has better experience, education and credentials. This goes for both genders. Pretty girls and handsome boys go further faster. Their less attractive counterparts may catch up eventually, but not until someone more attractive goes before them. I have seen it time and time again at every level be it entry level, second tier, middle, upper and executive level positions. Actually, the higher the pay grade, it seemed that attractiveness was even more valued. (So does that mean that the affluent are more shallow than the grunt workers? Could be!)

I also believe the same to be true in non-work life. Go to any nightclub, social event, big party, convention, anywhere where there are a lot of people gathered--and notice who gets the most attention. It isn't the plain Janes or Joes and you know it.
So by this theory, the CEO is by default the best looking person in the whole company! I never noticed but it must be true!

Old 04-18-2014, 03:20 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,987,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide By Cop View Post
In youth, yes. Absolutely. But once everything starts to wrinkle, sag and droop, pretty people's deficiencies really start to show. The fact that they (usually) haven't had to develop an intellect or personality becomes painfully obvious when the looks fade and there's nothing substantial remaining.

Of course this is a huge generalization, but the Mean Girls and jocks of the world are often douches because they CAN be. They're popular in high school because of their looks, then they slide through their 20s on their looks, finding an equally shallow/gorgeous mate and getting hitched before 30.

But the marriage often falls apart due to narcissism, infidelity and the fact that they married so young. They may have ****ed away their college years at frat/sorority parties instead of buckling down and learning because, hey, it's worked so far, right? Social life takes precedence over studying because who wants to be a nerd?

Of course this all catches up to them as their 40s and 50s approach. This is when the guiltiness (or faux remorse) for treating "less fortunate-looking" people so badly sets in, if at all. The mid-life crisis is when it all comes crashing down for these folks. The realization that they're now just another middle-aged dud sets in and they lose it.

Again, just a generalization. But it's one I've seen play out again and again. (I'm not a bitter uggo or anything. I'd say I fall on the more attractive end of the spectrum but I never relied on my looks to get ahead at any age because that's just a foreign concept to me. Some of my pretty friends, on the other hand...)
I agree with your statement. Good looks don't last forever. I have known a guy that was very attractive in his younger years and admitted he used to hook up with the best looking ones out there, yet now he in his 40s, he can't do that anymore and he is largely bitter.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:10 PM

14 posts, read 11,642 times
Yes I believe that good-looking people have it easier in life.

Anyone who says that looks do not matter at all is just lying in my opinion. We all know and lets not pretend otherwise that the world is a lot nicer to pretty people.

Science doesn’t discriminate in this realm – humans are hardwired to seek beauty.

Studies show that this natural selection process, though subconscious, does afford genetically-gifted individuals to reap more rewards in life, and receive more preferential treatment than those lacking the luck of the gene pool.

Daniel Hamermesh, professor of economics at the University of Texas at Austin and author of the book, Beauty Pays: Why Attractive People Are More Successful, adds that sex appeal is not the only measure of success for attractive people. “Attractive people also tend to [possess] other desirable personality traits, like higher self-confidence.” These factors correlate with their good looks — further enhancing their appeal to others.

Lookism in the Workplace: Does Attractiveness Truly Affect Success?

Last edited by Uri234; 04-18-2014 at 12:19 PM..

Old 04-18-2014, 01:22 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,302,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
More pop cultural evolutionary theory. Natural selection is supposed to be the process where undesirable traits are eventually eliminated from the gene pool. But if that is the case then why do "ugly people" still exist? They should have been bred out of existence long ago. Quite frankly put this "natural selection" thing doesn't really pan out in a civilized human society.
The reason ugly people still exist is because they breed with other ugly people. The biological drive to mate is stronger than the intellectual desire for eugenics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology