Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 08:52 AM

400 posts, read 576,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I agree with this totally!

Andrea Yates comes to mind.

If she was a poor single mom who did this to her kids nobody would have tried to say"it was mental illness". Their would be no lawyers,because she would not have the money if she was poor.

I notice the rich get labeled as "mentally ill" more often....i wonder why.

Poor people go to jail.
Rich people get labeled "mentally ill" and sent o a mental institution or rehab.
Not true at all. My Mother was associated with a woman in the 70's who was single and poor, clearly mentally ill, killed her children and ended up getting a second trial and spent 10 years in prison and 10 years in a mental facility based on the mentally ill defense. Well the woman had a mental breakdown after the husband left her for another woman and everyone told her to "pray" because during the 70's a single mother on welfare did not have access to mental healthcare. During this time period is when things were going downhill in Buffalo with the job market and LOTS of families were dealing with suicides, domestic violence, and abuse of substances.

So this woman Gail was at her lowest point in life, lost her husband who was the financial supporter of the family they created together, her home, and forced to beg for help and live with her Mother to avoid being homeless. Lost and trying to figure out how to take care of herself and children with no job and no support from her husband, she started to fall a part mentally. The worst part about it is this woman really tried, she gave her children up to foster care after running out of food and facing eviction. And when she could not find a job, she enrolled into community college. Regretting giving her children up to foster care, she asked for her kids back but life at her Mother's home did not get any better, she was even more depressed and stressed trying to hold everything together, so one night she just snapped and stabbed them all, dismembered one child. It was rumored she had left parts in the oven. And she tried to kill herself out of desperation. Media had a field day with her, never telling the whole story or making things up to get to sell papers. First trial she was convicted of 4 counts of murder after 2 psychiatrist said she was sane and could stand trial. It was appealed 10 years later after it was clear she was not mentally sane while in prison and she was committed to a mental institution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 09:24 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgirl80 View Post
There is no "100% mentally there" when a person commits a horrific act against another. Everyone who commits a crime has some sort of mental illness condition, there is just the levels of sanity that are used to gage whether a person can be held responsible for their actions.
I totally disagree. I read your story about 'Gail' ... and that story fits your post above. However, consider this ... what about the totally sane person who commits a horrific act, knowing it's horrific ... does it anyway. I'm talking about a self-centered (affluenza type) that has a total disregard for any and everyone else. And let's not try the affluenza is a mental disorder crap. Affluenza is an ambulance chaser created disorder (just like the created holiday aka Kwanza) ... used to confuse the system. Why did Bubba and Odumba do the things they did/do ... because they could/can.

All you are saying is a cop-out for some pretty smart (and sane) thugs. Operative word here ... SOME.

El Nox

Old 04-29-2014, 11:29 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,579,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
I totally disagree. I read your story about 'Gail' ... and that story fits your post above. However, consider this ... what about the totally sane person who commits a horrific act, knowing it's horrific ... does it anyway. I'm talking about a self-centered (affluenza type) that has a total disregard for any and everyone else. And let's not try the affluenza is a mental disorder crap. Affluenza is an ambulance chaser created disorder (just like the created holiday aka Kwanza) ... used to confuse the system. Why did Bubba and Odumba do the things they did/do ... because they could/can.

All you are saying is a cop-out for some pretty smart (and sane) thugs. Operative word here ... SOME.

El Nox
Exactly. If 'mental illness" was as widespread as people would have you believe, then it's a wonder how humanity got to where it is today with so many "mentally ill" people. The truth is, some people are good, some are bad.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:46 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgirl80 View Post
So this woman Gail was at her lowest point in life, lost her husband who was the financial supporter of the family they created together, her home, and forced to beg for help and live with her Mother to avoid being homeless. Lost and trying to figure out how to take care of herself and children with no job and no support from her husband, she started to fall a part mentally. The worst part about it is this woman really tried, she gave her children up to foster care after running out of food and facing eviction.
Her mother was going to evict her, and refused to provide her with food?

Old 05-02-2014, 01:41 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,171,154 times
Insanity defenses go back in history to the Code of Hammurabi.

For what it's worth, the (relatively recent) history of the insanity defense: Insanity defense - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hadfield
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology