Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 09:19 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times

Advertisements

I think people with high functioning autism would make excellent drivers...they are strict rule followers! So yes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 08:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I'm Aspergers, and I've driven cars all my life, probably several million miles, including driving in about 40 foreign countries, right and left. I don't see what the connection could possibly be. I would say that Aspergers are less likely to be aggressive drivers.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:06 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
I have a very close friend with Aspergers and he gets lost real quick! He does have some quirky driving habits like using the clutch to hold still on an incline at a stop. He has other obvious quirky traits too but he drives sort of OK. He is high functioning in many areas as Aspies often seem to. He does not have driving anxieties but he is very emotional - an Empath one might say. Aspergers affects us in many different ways but the one thing we all have in common is social development disorder and even that varies and can be overcome as my son demonstrated most aptly (but he had to learn it). I'd agree that Aspies are less likely to be aggressive drivers. I was a nervous driver when I was young but not now. I am less alert than I used to be and I make allowances for that be giving myself a wider margin of error. I take note of errors I make and figure out what I did and learn them and work out how to avoid them in future.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:59 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
I have a 25 year old Grandson with Aspergers. He drives with no problems.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:13 AM

670 posts, read 1,043,725 times
Default MissSoBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker63 View Post
Can People with Asperger's syndrome learn how to drive a Car ? I have met several people with Asperger's syndrome who drive Cars and have learned how to drive is it possible for people with Asperger's syndrome to learn how to drive a Car ? I want to learn to drive and I have Asperger's syndrome but I was told I can't or it would be harder unsafe to drive on the high way/free way by family my question is it possible to drive a car without going on the high ways can the high ways/free ways be avoided when driving is this possible because I have met people who drive but don't go on the free way I have also talked to people with Asperger's syndrome who drive but don't go on the free way ?

ASPERGER'S SYNDROME AND DRIVING

http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/aut/driveas.html
Absolutely, they can drive. I know three people with Asperger's, and they all drive. One is a dentist. One is an accountant, and the other is a math professor. They all function just fine. If I did not know they had Asperger's, I would just assume that they were very reserved people...rather introverted.

I'm sure each case of Asperger's is slightly different. I would talk to your doctor about driving. Good luck!

Old 06-30-2014, 04:02 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,481 times
I think asperger people can drive no problem. The concern is to no distract them while driving because you want to make sure the person is focussed on the road. This becomes second nature after driving experience, just like walking or biking.

One thing to note is asperger people may have a slower reaction time and in some cases be slow at aggressive maneuvering. BUT
The #1 solution for offsetting this slower reaction time is to drive closer to the true speed limit, stay to the right and give more space than others give to the car you are behind, so this way you have more time to respond to unexpected traffic. Doing this removed more accident risk than the difference in reaction time between the AS person and the non-AS person adds on.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:27 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
I don't go on the freeway/highways and I have A.S. I can't focus with all the noise and big trucks around me. I can't stand driving in general even locally but I do it. I've had my license since I was 16, I failed the test twice, now I'm 34.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:48 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
I avoid driving on highways as I prefer the less stressful rural and country roads. One of the main reasons why I picked a medium sized city was to have various types of roads and density levels to pick from instead of being forced to deal with big city traffic and density all the time.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I drove a car for almost 60 years, in 40 countries,in every county in the USA, probably close to two-million miles. I quit only for reasons of eyesight. I cannot think of any reason why my ability to drive was affected by Aspergers.

Different people with Aspergers Syndrome exhibit different sets of behavioral symptoms. Some do not drive very well, but I know plenty of NTs that are terrible drivers, too, who are incapable of emotionally coping with the disciplines necessary to drive a car competently or safely. As for concentrating on atentive driving, Aspergers might actually have an advantage, since they are pretty good at zoning in on a narrow detail and tuning everything else out.

Aspergers or not, you cannot expect every person in the world to be suited to mastering the technique of driving a car, any more than you can expect every person to be a competent dentist or accountant or airline pilot or ice hockey player. If you start out by labeling somebody Aspergers, you can't blame that for everything the person does not do well..

Old 10-02-2016, 07:56 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
I have Aspergers and I've driven for Uber.. go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology