Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 05:53 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
That's sounds like a mean thing to say. The guy has friends, what do you think he should just break off all contact with them.

The psychology industry loves to define everyone, but the truth is most human beings are f**ked up. People learn empathy for the most part, but put them in a bad situation and they'll often turn their back on you in your worst time of needs(and most of these people aren't sociopaths). Just the fact that the OP tries to do nice things(whether it's just for his ego or not) makes him a better human being than a lot of people I know.

If you had ever experienced abuse by a sociopath/psychopath you would not say that is mean. Its just fact.

I agree many people are f****d up. But sometimes people turn their backs on others in their worst time of need because they are having trouble coping themselves, or have other things that are taking priority. Not so with a sociopath or psychopath.

Also, OP is self reporting they have friends. A sociopath is not capable of having true friends. They are there only to fulfill the sociopath's needs. There is no true give and take.

Personally, I would rather have someone not "do nice things" if it is only to fulfill their own ego needs. You have to understand; these people are TOXIC. There is much more to it than just "being a nice person."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 06:18 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
If you had ever experienced abuse by a sociopath/psychopath you would not say that is mean. Its just fact.
I don't know what the people who've messed with me over the years have been. And I don't care to be honest. If someone who hurts me isn't a sociopath, that doesn't somehow make it better.

Quote:
I agree many people are f****d up. But sometimes people turn their backs on others in their worst time of need because they are having trouble coping themselves, or have other things that are taking priority. Not so with a sociopath or psychopath.

Also, OP is self reporting they have friends
This is the internet. Everyone is "self reporting" on here.

Quote:
Personally, I would rather have someone not "do nice things" if it is only to fulfill their own ego needs.
How do you know why people truly do what they do? It's impossible to knows what happens in anyone's mind or psyche, besides what they tell you. If someone spends a life helping others but only does it for their own ego and another person turn their backs on others or hurts other because "they have trouble coping themselves", then person one is a better person for society and person two has the issues.

Last edited by Deezus; 05-02-2014 at 06:30 PM..

Old 05-02-2014, 07:16 PM

260 posts, read 473,241 times
Do you want to add another dimension to your existence? Learning empathy could blow your mind.
There is nothing like Love (and I'm not talking about romantic love).

Old 05-02-2014, 07:24 PM

Deezus, we will have to agree to disagree. Being abused by a sociopath is nothing like being hurt by a neurotic or neglectful person. As far as your second point, what I am saying is that a sociopath is INCAPABLE of having friends. They go together like oil and water. By definition, they are incapable of intimate relationships. And as far as people helping others to feed their own ego--or hurting others, if you have ever known a sociopath really well, you would be able to tell the difference. And person one is NOT the better person for society. These people are toxic. They manipulate others to their own ends. This is much worse than a person "turning their back" on another person. There is a BIG difference.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:36 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
1 out of 25 people is a sociopath/psychopath.

Most live normal lives and are not serial killers, for exactly the reason the OP says -- they do the cost/benefit analysis, and the risk is not worth it.

You probably should try to stick with other sociopaths for romantic relationships, though, and not have kids, because it's true that loving you can be harmful to neurotypical people. But why would you want kids, anyway?

And yes, your brain wiring may give you an advantage in business.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:41 PM

Just because they are not serial killers does not mean they are living "normal lives." These people are manipulative and toxic to others. I agree they should stick with other sociopaths, but then, that doesn't provide the "kick" that interacting with normals does. Its not as much fun when your prey are on to you.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:52 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Lord help me I find myself liking you! Best wishes for a prosperous life.

I really like how you recognize consequences. Shows intelligence.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:34 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
You might find this interesting. A neuroscience researcher discovers that the brains of sociopaths are structured differently from those of "neurotypical" people - then he finds out that his own brain is structured the same as a sociopath's. Upon discussing the findings with people close to him, he finds out that his friends and relatives think of him as being sort of sociopathic in his interactions. What's really fascinating is that he finds out that there is a long family history of sociopathic/psychopathic murderers on one side of his family. But the fact is, he's just a neuroscience researcher who never has committed a crime. But he's got the brain structure, and personality, and family history of a sociopath.

Confessions of a Pro-Social Psychopath | World Science Festival

My point is, you are who you are because of the brain you were born with. You're not a bad person - you don't harm others. I'm glad you're coming to a better understanding of yourself. I hope you continue to find paths to pleasure and fulfillment in life, as long as you don't harm another person.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:41 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

How do you know why people truly do what they do? It's impossible to knows what happens in anyone's mind or psyche, besides what they tell you. If someone spends a life helping others but only does it for their own ego and another person turn their backs on others or hurts other because "they have trouble coping themselves", then person one is a better person for society and person two has the issues.
Exactly. I mean, as I talk to my shrink more I realize my past and what happened and some of the things I have done...and no, I don't mean eat people. I once saw a car crash that was pretty bad, and I was the ONLY ONE who stopped his car, got out and helped a man put pressure on his wife's leg. When the ambulance got there he gave me a hug and was grateful. I now understand that I acted as part of a "super-hero" complex. But I acted while a dozen or so non-sociopaths (I'm assuming) did nothing.

At least I have an excuse for being messed up in the head. What the hell is the excuse of everyone else who does nothing?

I honestly have trouble passing up an opportunity to be awesome to people because of the power trip it gives me. Would you prefer me over a douchemonkey who would watch a woman die and do nothing but has the capacity to love his girlfriend?

If someone like me was around (loves being a hero, likes violence) this story would have ended differently:
Murder of Kitty Genovese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would love to be in that situation, and is one of the reasons why I keep my butterfly knives handy...and there is always the off chance said saved female may want to show her gratitude

Old 05-02-2014, 08:45 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckgrl View Post
Do you want to add another dimension to your existence? Learning empathy could blow your mind.
There is nothing like Love (and I'm not talking about romantic love).

There is that. I must admit, I do want to understand it...but it seems like a big risk. As a wise woman once said "who needs a heart if a heart can be broken?" My mother dying made me shrug and I skipped her funeral because there was a good movie on HBO ("Big Trouble in Little China" starring Kurt Russel) I could not imagine going through what my brother and sister went through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology